1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Mo - our 6th man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Oct 11, 2013.

1. omgTHEpotential

Let me start by saying that I used to believe that D-Mo should start over T-Jones. However, I'm now leaning towards the idea that being in the second unit is the best thing that can happen to D-Mo.

It's not a secret that the biggest flaw in DMo's game is his atrocious defense. Well, at least last season it was. From what I've seen in these first exhibition games, his defensive rotations and help defense are still pretty terrible. Although, I don't think his 1v1 defense is all that bad.

On the other hand, he already has one of the top (maybe even a top-10 among PFs) offenses for a PF in this league. At the very least, the potential is there.

So, I think it makes all the sense in the world to put him in the second unit along with Asik. Omer should compensate for D-Mo's defensive flaws, while Donatas will add a scoring punch in the post. Not to mention he has a great passing ability to give the ball to any other open man on the floor, including Omer with some interior passing.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Member

You might be right - DMo can be a beast against inferior competition, but sometimes seems to be overwhelmed by good players. Plus he seems to have worked on his rebounding, and we probably need that more with the second unit than the first.

On the other hand DMo seems to be the better off the ball player and less of a ball hawk than TJones.

If the Howard/Asik experiment works, I could see one of our 2 young PFs joining the vipers at the end of november though - and that might be DMo, since the game still seems a little too big for him. But I do believe his potential is higher than TJones`s.

Our questionsmarks at the 4 are much bigger than they are at the 1 (whoever starts at the 1 will do a good job and whoever backups the 1 will do a good job, and both should get about 30 minutes per game)...

3. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

I think he falls over too much and his 3 point shooting is ugly.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

more like the 7th or 8th guy.

He is too inconsistent to be that 6th scorer or high energy guy.
    He is feeling low and high

5. Garner

Garner Member

Sneaky way to suggest that Lin shouldn't be the 6th man.

6. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

I think Asik plus one of Beverley/Lin is our sixth man

7. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

:D :D :D :D XD XD xD XD ahahahahahahaha u got fever or something?

stop living with 2012 memories and watch a game or two in this preseason

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I kind of agree.

I prefer what Motiejunas brings to the table more then Terrance Jones as a player. But if he is starting with Howard, there really won't be a need or push to get him the ball on the offensive end where he can be the most beneficial for the team. With the second unit and maybe playing some minutes with the first depending on performance and match ups he will get the necessary time as a primary post scoring threat for times we would have to rest Howard a little or he isn't producing well.

If we put him among the starters he won't get the same opportunities if any due to the scoring we'd get or try to from the more experienced players.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man... I'm just not seeing it. At all. D-Mo shouldn't be a rotation player in the NBA. Not from what I've seen on the court. The fact that he can contribute next to a guy like Dwight Howard speaks volumes about Dwight's impact on the game. He helps erase other player's deficiencies.

D-Mo getting minutes wont hurt us, he'll contribute, the same way players like Ryan Bowen or Samaki Walker can excel when paired with the right group of players. But to expect anything special from the guy... having him carve out a unique, high-profile role... I'm just not seeing it.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Member

Nah, just being realistic - when Asik and Dwight together works, we will probably only use one more real PF and go with Parsons/Caspi/Garcia as a stretch four for short periods each game. It would be 30 minutes Asik, 35 minutes Dwight, 25 minutes DMo or TJones and 16 minutes Parsons or any other of our guys.

McHale doesn`t do 10 men rotations. He usually has 8-9 players playing each game. 5 of them are clear: Lin, Beverly, Parsons, Asik, Dwight - one more spot is for one of our PFs, then we have Caspi, Brooks, Brewer, Garcia, Smith and our other PF battling for the remaining 2-3 spots.

Having a guy like DMo or TJones never leave the bench because he has no spot in the rotation doesn`t do us any good - so he might have to join the Vipers for some time to perfect his game.

Remember, this is only if we feel comfortable to play Asik and Dwight for extended periods together. If not, of course both of them will be in the rotation.

11. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

LIN
    HARDEN
    PARSONS
    CASSPI
    HOWARD

ASIK
    JONES
    BEVERLEY
    WILLIAMS (contract guaranteed)

MONTIEJUNAS & CANNAN (d-league)

BREWER, BROOKS, COVINGTON and anyone else will be cut

Why do you guys want to trade for Ryan Anderson...his fiance just committed suicide more worried about him mentally than physically..he did not even play on Saturday