1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to be the sixth man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iam, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hbomb

hbomb Member

The biggest loser of a line up with Beverly starting is not Lin.

It's Howard.

(and LOF's I presume).

2. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

man Dwight came to H-Town to play with Parsons and Harden, not Lin

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Silly arguments I am sure.

Lin is the starting point guard. The coach is trying things out in pre-season and unless Lin is hurt he is the starter.

There are so many reasons for this don't want to waste time listing them.

People need to get a life and stop over thinking.

Bev is good but that all out tempo he plays with will wear him out and get him fouled out early. In small doses, that's perfect. Play him 30 min and you will see something else.

You can think McHale doesn't like Lin but I think in truth, he wants Lin to succeed. A good Lin with his skill set and doing it at a high level will make the starting unit impossible to stop. 2 guards that can penetrate, and shoot and pass will make the offense crazy!

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Maybe it's because there are other guys on the team, and Lin is not the only concern.

5. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Bingo. That's exactly right. You've got your thinking cap on, sir.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I know that's what you've been thinking for awhile, and I appreciate your take on things, meh. For a historic perspective, that's an interesting point. What are some examples? Off the top of my head:

1. Manu, obviously. But that was more due to conserving his health. He never could play more than 30 MPG without breaking down. And there were still years that he started.

2. Harden, of course. This is a legitimate case, but that team had THREE premier perimeter players. Clear case of only 1 basketball.

3. Terry, he was too small to start at SG.

4. Sam Cassell? He was only the 6th man because he was just coming into his own. He never came off the bench again after that year.

5/6. JR Smith, Jamal Crawford? These are 1 dimensional chuckers, not necessarily 'superior' players.

7. Kevin McHale? He started for most of his career after the first few years. Honestly he should have started sooner, and I think he would be the first to agree.

What are some other examples of superior players coming off the bench? Besides the case with Harden in OKC, it seems like all the other cases had other reasons besides 'fit'. And with Harden, they had 3 perimeter players who needed the ball. With the Rockets, we only have 2 perimeter guys and should be enough touches to go around.

EDIT:

Obviously Howard needs his touches as well. So that makes 3, I guess being a perimeter player or not doesn't really matter when it comes to touches.

#186 CXbby, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

HE JUST DOESNT HAVE THE CLUTCH GENE!!!!!!!!!

8. gate470

gate470 Rookie

There are video clips of Lin constantly mediating players on the team. Look them up on youtube. There are videos of rockets players telling us that Lin and Harden were the leaders of the team. There are quotes from Mchale that state how TOUGH of a kid Lin is -- that it's his best attribute.

If you're tough, you're not a weakling that lacks confidence in yourself.

Good Lord...stop with the excuses. Stop pussyfooting; it's okay to simply say, that Mchale/coaching staff prefer Bev.

1 person likes this.
  9. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Both have played great. But lin has had better stats on both games. Thus better player will be the starter which so far is lin.

10. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

There are 2 reasons besides what you already mentioned.
    First, Bev could not help our 2nd unit, while both Lin and Bev can work with our 1st unit apparently.
    Second, if we want to trade the third super star, who will be the asset the other team want? Lin or Bev? A creative PG who can make others better or a solid defensive PG?

11. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Good point. Howard's stats were low this game but high the first game. Well see how it keeps going. Im sure they are calculating everything.

12. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Also remember the bench players wont play much during the regular season.

Its just preseason...

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Lin off the bench please. Beverley sets the intense tone straight away, it's awesome to see. Lin is great off the bench for all the reasons already stated. The only argument for him starting is that some of his fans are getting offended by his "demotion."

1 person likes this.
  14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Personally, I'm just happy that we have so many options at our disposal. To think back a year when we were facing one of the most gruelling seasons in recent memory, with a capped out team, to then have Dwight, Harden, numerous capable starters mixed into our bench (whether you feel it should be Lin or Bev) everythings just done a total 180.

Nobody is above the team. Harden wasn't above the team in OKC, Ginobli wasn't above the team in SA, its the square peg round hole argument where you have to maximise the talents at your disposal. Lin can still see extended minutes with the 2nd unit, and still be a starter, but its really semantics. Obviously Lin isn't Ginobli or Harden talent wise, but 31mpg aligns well with them even with Mchales affinity for Douglas/Beverley. Lins play will determine how much crunch time he sees.

But the team will only go as far as Dwight and Harden can take them.

15. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

Beverley might get into foul trouble with a prolonged play time. We will see.

16. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

False. It's the lack of time with Howard and Lin on the floor at the same time that's worrying.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Really? thats the ONLY argument?

-Play your most talented 5

-More offensive weapons on the floor is more difficult to guard, teams can't load up on Harden

-Cohesion between Lin and Harden results in by far the most deadly backcourt in the league

-Lessens the load off Harden throughout the course of the 82 game season

-Lin’s greatest success came with a capable roll man with Chandler in New York, ranking in the top 5 in points per play during the 11-12 season, while Howard was the best pick-and-roll finisher with 1.38 points per possession

I'm all for whats best for the team as I've made clear, but to suggest that the only argument for Lin starting is to appease his fans is just bull crap.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I will say this, if 'fit' really is the reason Jeremy ends up coming off the bench, Rockets fans and Lin fans need to unite in their rejoice. Because that would mean they are doing it for the benefit of Lin, and for the benefit of the Rockets. It would mean both will end up performing better. Hence 'fit'.

The scenario I am describing is actually decidedly more neutral. If it is for trust issues, no one really benefits, it is just for the coach's peace of mind.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, and I watched the game twice. I believe one of Dwight's most crucial stats is 5 personal fouls, which is why he had the least minutes of the starters and only one more minute than Jeremy.

1 person likes this.
  20. gate470

gate470 Rookie

:rolleyes: