1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

You really have no idea, do you? I lived in the Phil for 7 yrs and no one cares about Lin. They only care about Kobe and LeBron. Some don't even know about Lin and they think he's Yao Ming. Many misinformed people in this thread.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beverly has earned a fair shot at starting. He has proven far more than Lin in my eyes, especially when the going gets tough. It doesn't help that Lin can't stay healthy in the playoffs. Terrence Jones starting instead of Motiejunas is just as interesting.

It's a risky move, because Lin has had shaky confidence in the past, but it is fair.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Mark Jackson has had Klay Thompson coming off the bench for a few games in favor of Harrison Barnes. I'm sure Klay will start during regular season, and Jeremy probably will too. Experimentation is what's done in preseason... this is hardly groundbreaking or novel.

4. and1phan

and1phan Member

oh boy...its going to be a long day

5. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

There's nothing fair about it. Lin played all 82 games last season. He was the only important starter to not get a rest before the playoffs. Asik, Parsons, harden all got rested.

Mchale has treated Lin like **** since he got back to the rockets. Lin has proven a lot more than Beverly.

Beverly's playoff performance is vastly overrated and mostly by lin doubters, like Mchale.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Asik played all 82...

7. torocan

torocan Member

You should amend that to "most of the people you know".

I've done a ton of business in Asia and in the Philippines (been there over a dozen times) and one thing that many forget or aren't even aware of is that a significant portion of the business community are of Chinese decent.

In other words, those 32,000 peso tickets aren't being bought by the "average" fan, they're being bought by those that would be considered "wealthy" by local standards, of which a significant portion are chinese or of chinese descent. Not only are those the guys buying the tickets, those are the guys who are paying for the big advertising and sponsorship deals.

Are many of them general NBA fans? Sure. Are many of them invested in Jeremy Lin as a Taiwanese/Chinese ethnic player? You bet.

While you could argue that part of this is whether Lin is better than Beverley or whether Bev fits with the starters better than Lin, a significant part of this is Lin as an ambassador of the NBA in Asia.

Let's also not forget that this is being broadcast live in China and Taiwan (HUGE markets compared to PH).

We're talking about really, really big bucks here. Asia is the type of audience and money that elevates the league on an international stage and helps the growth of the sport long term.

Never forget the big picture.

8. pippsux

pippsux Member

I guess Mchale is letting everyone know he is the boss.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well let those rich corrupt people pay their ****. I don't want to hear how filipinos "paid half of their months salary" to watch this game. Again, and i reiterate, the common filipino people don't care about Lin. Basketball fans in the Philippines don't care about Lin. Who gives a **** about business people in the Philippines? Nothing is lost there. Just dirty money being spent.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Its just an experiment and that is all. Has nothing to do with giving Bev a chance. Everybody knows that Lin will be the starting PG when the season starts.

11. iam

iam Member

I am a huge LOF I'll admit. Yet I don't understand how everyone here thinks making Lin sixth man is a demotion.

Are Ginobli and Harden capable starters?
    They both didn't start on SA and OKC due to the lack of usage in the beginning.

Sure the asst coach wants to decrease Harden's usage, however that'll change Harden's game. Harden needs the ball in his hands to be effective.
    So I don't buy it and to get Lin going early, it's better to have him come off the bench and then finish it off with D12 and Jharden in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

These Non-LOFers really need to see the big picture.

1 person likes this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Lin is the better player, but it is interesting to see how dominant he could be coming off the bench. He'd probably still get around the same amount of minutes as Bev. Don't freak out LOFs.

13. coffeelover665

my god this lineup is so scary on defense. Every position is locked down

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

hey even though this is an experiment, I agree with you. No other team would do this, not even in the pre-season. They would play their starters ( for chemistry purposes).
    This is still a new team and I just dont know McHale's motive for doing this. Why is he giving Lin such a hard time. I remember a lot of Lin's fans would point this out and I would dispute this. Now I see exactly what they were saying. McHale just dont like Lin but he has to play him because of D. Morey.

15. iam

iam Member

Exactly...

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wonder what the response in this thread would be if Lin plays well as the 1st option. Curious to see if LOFs would actually root against Lin playing well in hopes that he becomes a starter again.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

no such logic

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is preseason. Yes, I know folks paid to see Jlin, but McHale only has so many games to find that chemistry.

It will be interesting to read the local medias reaction, but as a Rox fan, it is preseason - so not surprised.

DD

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Dear God, some of you make this thread impossible to read.

20. itstheyear3030

Someone sounds bitter...