1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pacers 10/10/2013 in Manila, Philippines (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

It's not surprising, Mchale has never had much faith in Lin, he's like an LOH, except with the power to actually to something.

I got this funny feeling watching the practise videos, bev with harden and Dwight instead of Lin. And the way McHale keeps talking about how Linsanity was a fluke, except using nicer language. I feel really sorry for Jeremy he bought all that crap from Morey and Les hoping he'd get a better situation than he has in new york, but it takes a long time for deeply ingrained prejudices to be worn down.

One can only hope he does well enough in the sixth man role to get a good trade to a coach that will respect his ability and talent in January.

2. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Except this is entirely consistent with Mchale's treatment of Lin from the beginning. I'd say this is how it will be from now on unless the beverly experiment is a failure, which I don't see how it can be since Beverely is a decent player and Harden and Howard will cover up everything else.

That's why Bev's with the starting group in scrimmages. So the writing was on the wall really.

3. Star

Star Member

You people don't understand.

They pay top dollars to see Lin not Bev. If Lin is not there this game would not even be that huge.

And this is a preseason, who care about win or lose. You want to experiment with the line up, you do that back in Houston not Philippines or Taiwan.

If the r****ded McFail do this again in Taiwan, he would be killed there.

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Wait, you're telling me McHale doesn't have faith in Lin's game? Who would've thunk it??
    lol. I'm sure Lin being a team player and working especially hard in the off season, he's perfectly fine with his coach sending him to the bench... lol.

5. wil55n

wil55n Member

Let's just hope Coach gives Jeremy lots of (maybe even more than usual) minutes so that the fans get what they deserve.

6. pacmania

pacmania Member

I've been a Rockets fan since the championship days of Dream and Glide.

Since the time of Rudy T, JVG and Rick Adelman , the Rockets have maintained good quality coaching up until Morey threw away his analytics and hired a man who had accomplished nothing as a timberwolves coach but had the blessings of his good friend in the Celtics organization.

Dream seems to have a passion for teaching and encouraging young players and would be the perfect "player's coach" for this team.

7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Cause asians have payed alot of $$ to go support their boy, the tickets prices are really pumped up. Seriously i am ok with experimenting, but timing and place is just off for it.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I can't wait for the game to start.

Got up early for this ;)

9. Baruch

Baruch Member

Hi there. So excited to join the game thread for the very first time!

What a surprise to see Bev start over Lin. But guess the coaching staff just wanna to give it a try as they probably can't do it in Taiwan :p

10. torocan

torocan Member

I suspect that those opposed to Bev starting in this game fall primarily into 2 camps.

A) People who view this as disrespectful of your starting players. IE, if Lin is a starter, then start him and sub him early if you really want to experiment. Not a good management move in terms of building your relationship with Lin especially if he ends up improving substantially and you're looking to re-sign him later on.

B) People who view this as a terrifically bad business move for the NBA and Rockets in particular in terms of showcasing NBA basketball in Asia. There is no small chunk of fans in Asia that are paying to specifically see Lin play, and quite frankly paying relatively exorbitant prices to do so. Keep in mind, people in the Philippines make about 1/5th the salary of Americans. And even though Lin is nowhere near a superstar in the US, in Asia he is essentially a superstar in terms of popularity. Even last year he was 4th in the NBA in jersey sales in China (the primary market that the NBA is attempting to build in Asia).

My personal opinion is that if I was Alexander and had loads of money invested in Lin as a brand as well as a player, I would be pretty annoyed at McHale not starting Lin. Is it *that* hard to start Lin for the first 2 minutes then sub him out to "experiment"? Especially given this is a preseason game?

Yes, the Rockets primary goal is winning as a team, but it's also a business. Somewhere in there money talks, and I get the feeling that McHale can be a bit tone deaf.

11. pearlon

pearlon Member

Some of you guys are way over-reacting. It's the 2nd exhibition game of the preseason! They have another game in Taiwan, and we all know that Jeremy will be starting in that one. So give Bev a start this game, no worries!

Hey I love Lin myself (I'm Asian, went to Ivy League, played basketball, same haircut haha), but let's be practical here and let the coach and team do their work. Just like anything, there are certain objectives the coaches are trying to meet, and assessing different starting line-ups is one of them, no matter where the games are played.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lol at the comments on this page.

Let's go Rockets! Hope this is a good game.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Ill admit that what Mchale did is pretty f'ed up. He could have picked a regular preseason game to try this.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

What! Lin is not starting????

Not watching, going to bed.

Fire McHale!

Sue the Rockets franchise!

Refund the Philippine people their money now!!!:rolleyes:

Oh wait...James Harden & Dwight Howard are still there...

I might just watch the first 4 qtrs.:grin:

15. keldraco

keldraco Member

cluch need to come in and start banning ppl

16. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

It's not about the money. It's about showing confidence in your starter and player and having that trust pay divedends. I know that McHale doesn't think highly of Lin but who is Lin gonna pnr with now, D-Mo?

17. demarco1

demarco1 Member

how many hour or minutes until the gametime? thank you in advance

18. nono

nono Member

this will once again start the loh and lof nonsense on here

19. wil55n

wil55n Member

I get it, theres alot of overreacting here, but I dont agree with making fun of these fans. People dont understand what its like to pour your months savings in a once in a lifetime chance to see your sports idol.

20. LAC

LAC Member

In the earlier scrimmage, Mchale would have Parsons and Lin on white team against Beverley, Howard and Harden on black team to kind of cover up his intent to bench Lin.
    As video of the Philippines scrimmage came out, it appears he doesn't even care to hide his intent anymore. Lin and other 2nd string Rockets were paired to go against Beverley, Harden, Parsons, and Howard.
    Like you said, it's on the wall long ago.

This benching has done more harm than Pop benching his starters. I wonder what Stern will do.