1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: I didn't know Asik was the GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lowlife, Sep 26, 2013.

1. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Mchale's comments are truly being over-analyzed to a preposterous degree.

Omer will be a super sub/occasional starter for half a season plus, and then traded for cap space, assets, or in a best case scenario, a top tier 4.

Morey sees the big picture and will make the correct roster moves.

To put it concisely, Mchale's comments in this context are irrelevant. Let morey do his thing and enjoy the w's. :)

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If you really want to call McHale a jackass, shouldn't you criticize Asik first for voicing his displeasure to the media the moment Howard signed with the team?

McHale was only responding after all.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't see how there is anything said that makes McHale a jackass. Asik signed a contract that most of us would die for. He can b**** all he wants, but he still needs to put his hard hat on and go to work. That's what adults with jobs do.

4. threedaybean

threedaybean Member

Wow i love coach mchale... he always bring me back to 80s basketball

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He voiced his displeasure to the media? I'm not aware of that.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Not saying that McHale did anything wrong, but do you really think just because someone gets paid they should just shut up and do whatever that's ordered? That's not the environment you want to promote imo.

Nurturing and supporting a player, not just using them as chess pieces, can lead to improbable but amazing results and you may coax 110% out of a player instead of just telling them to work hard. Yes, they're professionals and don't need coddling but caring about them as individuals can effect a players performance deeply.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not the best way to handle a delicate situation.

McHale needed to be more tactful and he wasn't.

Making Morey's job harder.

1 person likes this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

My mistake, reported by the media.

9. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

A lot of players seem to have left the rockets on bad terms recently, and perhaps not so recently as well.

It certainly hasn't prevented the org from acquiring great players, but I wonder if it comes back to bite them at some point.

One can't help but wonder how good the bulls could be right now if they could attract free agents for example.

10. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Wait...what? :confused:

11. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

I'm referring to Dragic and Lowry in particular. It looks like Asik will join them at some point during the season. Lin would likely have been dealt if there had been sufficient interest.

Morey's a brilliant tactician, but the constant turnover has taken a toll on player morale; at least while those players are still with the rockets.

I hope players like chandler parsons and bev are taken care of. They've made next to nothing and contributed far more than their salaries would suggest. I'm not 100% confident that the rockets will, however.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know why people are giving McHale **** about this. I thought it was a perfectly appropriate response.

It was reported that Asik wanted a trade and McHale responded to the possible report. Nothing to see.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Agreed x3.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Umm...ALL professional businesses are like that? There is something called protocol in this world. There is also something called employment. Finally there is something called a contract. Morey's job is to make a team that can WIN. McHale's job is to teach and coach the team to WIN. Players jobs are to play the game and WIN. Asik is not getting paid to make personnel changes or playing time decisions. He is paid to play to the best of his abilities on the court. Why should he feel bad? He is getting paid. He got an amazing contract at the time. At no point in time has he been mistreated or disrespected by the Rockets organization. We merely did what any competent team would do, sign the best player available and made the team better. I have no problem with what McHale said and if Asik is the professional I believe he is, he would also have no problem with what McHale said. Would probably agree with him too, that his job is to play basketball.

15. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

That's generally how it works, yes. Asik however is extraordinarily fortunate in that:

a. his salary is completely guaranteed,

b. his total guaranteed salary is $25.5 MILLION dollars.

If he isn't satisfied being paid tens of millions of dollars to play a child's game for a few minutes 2 or 3X a week, that's no one's problem but his own.

He doesn't need anyone to "care" about him, or to "nurture" him. He's a 27 year old grown man.

He doesn't even need to be told to work hard, ffs or at least he shouldn't have to be.

If he's butthurt by the prospect of playing as a reserve, he should retire.

Seriously, everything about your post is ridiculous.

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Tough love, my friend.

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It wasn't clear who "leaked" the displeasure to the media. Still isn't. Asik was out of the country.

I understand it might have been the heat of the moment when McHale was asked the question and just got off his annoyance.

From the objective point of view, McHale should have found out the facts before he voiced out his opinion. At least he should have talked to Asik to know what exactly the guy was thinking. It is never a good thing for the coach and the players to talk to each other through the media.

In hindsight, McHale should have said something like, "I haven't talked to Omer yet. We need to be on the same page. Every player wants to be a starter. I can understand that. But we need to play as a team and do whatever we need to win."

Of course, I am assuming McHale had not sat down and talked to Asik at the time of the interview. I could be wrong. And there's a chance that Asik did lash out his displeasure to the coach. But I doubt it.

19. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Agree McHale is a jerk as he used to be. He could be nicer to Omer. If you don't have nice things to say, just shut up.

20. seyton

seyton Member

[​IMG]