1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Arian be OK? Or is it time to feature Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Richie_Rich, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Foster had a bad first game after not playing a down in preseason due to injury and people are talking like dude is done? :confused:

Seriously, this is some BS.

Foster is still our best RB, and watching the game last night while he wasn't as explosive or decisive as he normally is, he wasn't the only one making mistakes as the offensive line was bi polar until the end in terms of run blocking and protection due to the Chargers defense. People concerned about his attitude are funny though, the man has acted the same way since college.

Foster will hopefully find his rhythm with the offense soon but folk talking like he is done because over usage (mostly on bad plays) are joking. Credit to Tate for finally showing up like it was 2011 but one game does not a season make.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter last year:

Adam Schefter reports Arian Foster's five-year deal is worth $43.5 million and includes a guarantee of $20.75 million.
    Foster, who made $525,000 in 2011, will make $18 million this season and $30 million in first three years of deal.
    It’s a lot of money, but the $8.6 million annual average is not too far above the franchise number for 2012, which is around $8 million.
    He’ll be 26 in August, so this deal would look to cover the remainder of his prime earning years. ​

Unless things have changed, I don't believe NFL contracts are totally guaranteed.

So perhaps someone with NFL cap knowledge can explain how Foster's contract breaks down in terms of his cap hit should they decide to move forward with Tate next year.

By no means am I advocating for such a move. Arian is my guy (keeper league too) so I'm really pulling for him to have a monster season (again). Just looking to gain insight as to what the organization may be thinking in regards to Tate's situation. I have no problem with letting Tate walk when and if Foster rounds back into Pro Bowl form.

Rep to anyone who can break down Foster and Tate's cap situation. Thanks, in advance.

3. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

The Tate-Foster workload split should be pushing 50/50 this year.

Last night it was back to 2011 levels, i.e. 2-1 ratio.

Tate is running like he wants to get paid.

Arian is running like he doesn't want to get hurt.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's the continued regression of his game that has taken place over the last two seasons.

5. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Let's see a pattern here before we start jumping to conclusions. He didn't look great last night, but this was his first real live action of the season. Foster has always seemed like the type of player that would use this as motivation to perform better next time.

6. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

This is just the first game, BUT it did appear as though Arian was running a little timid/afraid. :confused:

7. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

He ran this way most of last year, too.

8. lemonpie

lemonpie Member

You can't give him that many touches and expect him to keep performing every year.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is only a limited amount of carries for a running back before they aren't that good. It just the way of the NFL. If I was player I would try not to play running back. You have a short shelf life and you don't get paid and you take a beating. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of foster and kept tate.

10. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

From a money standpoint, that's pretty much impossible.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Excellent analysis, that is exactly what it looks like. I suspect that Foster's "rust" will wear off. The offensive line didn't have it's best game either. Tate is in midseason form. I'm good with two strong runners, and I wouldn't make much of Foster's "attitude." I am glad he wants to play.

12. conquistador#11

how do we even know he has lost a step if he slips before he even gets going.
    on the brighter side of things, both running backs were targeted in the passing game, which was one our offenses staple prior to last season.

13. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

Trade either Foster or Tate for a offensive lineman and a Linebacker??
    Im completely ok with C. Woods being our number 2

14. Grinds

Grinds Member

BAL '11 playoffs.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Foster is insane to be upset about touches:

1) he's already been paid, doesn't need touches to earn a contract

2) less touches will prolong his career. Is he unaware of what typically happens to running backs with as many touches as he has?

3) Tate, who is playing for a contract, was clearly outperforming Foster. If Foster lost his starting job maybe he could be upset, but in the moment you go with who is playing better.

4) platooning running backs is something every team does

As others have noted, Foster now seems to tip over at the slightest contact. This is not an injury/rust thing, this happened all last season. Back then we attributed it to poor fullback and line play, but clearly Foster is a big part of it.

16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Not trying to challenge you at all, but could you please explain? I'm trying to understand the NFL CBA as it pertains to guaranteed salary (i.e. signing bonuses), and how they are spread out over Arian's five-year contract.

We know his contract is worth $43.5MM -- with a guarantee of $20.75MM.

Foster made ~$18MM last season, and will earn ~$30MM over the first three years of his current contract. [source]

Per the CBA rules, signing bonuses (in Foster's case, $20.75MM) are part of a players salary and count against the cap. We also know that when determining team and player salary, the signing bonus (or guaranteed money) is prorated over the length of the contract -- in this case, $4.15MM over five years. [source]

The rules state that if Foster were to be cut after June 1, 2014, then his cap hit would be $4.15MM in 2014, 2015 and 2016. There may also be clauses ("voidable years") and LTBE cash incentives that may affect the amortization of Foster's guaranteed salary.

CBA rules FAQs

Again, by no means am I advocating for Arian to get released in the offseason. I'm just trying to figure out how painful (cap-wise) it would be for the Texans to move in a different direction (Tate). Does it sound likely? Not at all, but I wouldn't say it's impossible either. The base line cap for NFL teams is $123MM, and player contracts are restructured all of the time to free up cap room (see Tom Brady).

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just so I'm clear, many of you are advocating that if Foster has a season like 2012, he should be cut. Is that correct?

1424 yards
    15 td's

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Reminds me of the Lin - Beverley situation the rockets had this year. One can give their opinions of who is better to start vs strengths and weakness or who should be receive more playing time to help a team win but one thing the rockets didn’t have to worry about Lin having a bad attitude, on bench, or questioning coaches decisions,. When lin was taken out the game sometimes in forth quarter for Beverley he was on the sidelined just cheering along the team , still kept a positive attitude and would tell media it’s a coach’s decision he’s only a player. And this is in the event where one could argue who should be in because a lot of people actually felt that Mchale was wrong at time of the benching. But foster clearly has a bad outing and it’s clear that tate was the best back to have in game in certain situations he gets mad on sidelines and doesn’t show up to post media questioning after his team got a big comeback win and when fans are actually still pulling for him

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I know these ppl are insane....Foster wants to be regarded as one of the best all time..he wants in there to continue his impressive production...the numbers matter to him. Once he gets his ypc up he will shut alot of critics up...that's his only weakness at the moment... receiving, blocking, TD ability is all extremely above average skills...other teams are so scared when we get close to the red zone because of the threat of Foster. There is a reason for that.

20. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

He averaged a career low in YPC and ranked outside of the top 20 for NFL running backs. That is, in few words... not good.

He's on pace to set more career lows. Should he be cut? Hell no. Is he open to criticism? Absolutely.

Cutting Foster seems like it would be cap suicide, considering you'd have to sign Tate to replace him (who is due a handsome payday, especially if this trend keeps up)... and over the next two years you're going to have to resign Watt, Jackson, W. Smith, Graham, Daniels, Reed, and Mitchell.

Not a good time to go around throwing money away over personal grudges.