1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac thanks Houston on Facebook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Aug 28, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hk__kWf2kXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"If we don't get out of the first round this year, IT'S ON ME"

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

he left out new york, atlanta, detroit, san antonio

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You sir have said the fightin' words.

But I can't say I disagree.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Quitting ain't classy. Neither is throwing a fit over playing time.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

New York, you taught me about the value of expiring contracts.

Atlanta, thanks for giving me a chance when no one would. You shouldn't have.

Detroit, some veterans come in and show the younger players leadership. I taught your players the skill needed to shut up and take a pay check.

San Antonio, at least I wasn't Steven Jackson.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's important to let go of the anger and disappointment and wish him the best.

7. ribbit

ribbit Member

Thanks for the good memories, TMac. That is all.

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I'll always remember T-Mac with the Rocket Red. One of my favorite wing players of all-time.

Thanks for the memories, T-Mac. Wishing you the best.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The guy ballooned in upper body weight without working on his calves and lower body. That was a knee injury waiting to happen.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol one of the times fans want a player to miss out doing his job and take a whole year off.
    Criticize all you want for wanting to be out there to play and he could not. Way to do it.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

WTH? Lower body? He had tree trunks as legs and massive feet. He suffered from a type of Gigantism. He worked on his lower body alright.
    He is just not made to last that long, a rookie Yao Ming's body would be arguable though.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

skillwise, he's a top 5 Rocket of all time to me. loved watching him play. he elevated his game in the playoffs and some of you would see that if you took your hater glasses off for 2 seconds.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what? no NBA player is just going bulk up the upper body. i doubt he went the latter stages of his career not doing any squats. and people gain weight naturally as they age. knee injuries happen because it's the nature of the sport.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would thank the Rockets too if I stole money from the Rockets after sabotaging them like that bum did.

15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

He's had some unforgettable moments that will live on in Rockets history.

Some people need to realise that harbouring ill feelings for events long past is only detrimental to themselves.

Thanks for the memories, TMac.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I suppose it's easy to forget the years before that. Still, you could try a little harder.

17. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Thank you T-Mac for the memories. You will go down as one of my favorite players of all time

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

"Speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston two weeks ago, Jeff Van Gundy, who coached McGrady with Houston from 2004-07, and current Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, who traded McGrady in February 2010 to New York, both said McGrady’s tremendous ability led him to not always work hard."

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/tracy-mcgrady-admits-he-didnt-practice-hard/

"Van Gundy estimated McGrady at "probably 1,000 hours of practice," just one-tenth of Gladwell's rule, a figure that elicited laughter from the crowd. "

"Morey said, "I do think [that ability] got in the way of Tracy's development.""

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...reakish-talent-and-the-peril-o?urn=nba-330022

That's how I think he didn't work hard. Because his coach and GM have spoken publicly about it and he himself has admitted it to a certain extent.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I for one will miss T-Mac and remember fondly his era with this team. For better or worse, I think everyone can agree that T-Mac gave his heart and soul for this team for years on end. I think most will also agree that T-Mac struggled to come to terms with his declining talent and the negotiations that come with that - reduced playing time, restructured role within the teams offense, and more demands to contribute to 'intangibles' which were never his strong suite to begin with.

At the risk of creating some angst, I will state what has been fairly obvious to most - T-Mac's supporting casts were subpar, even on this team every year we were in the playoffs. Though Yao is often touted as the formidable partner who was supposed to duo with to the finals, Yao was undoubtedly a huge liability in every one of those series. Yao regularly found himself matched up against smaller big men with versatile outside games and more quickness who exploited the match up time and again. Additionally, Yao struggled to counter double teams and our offense often stagnated when double teams came Yao's way.

Invariably, the shortcomings of everyone else fell on T-Mac's shoulders, and for 3-4 seasons, he readily accepted and shouldered the weight. It is only when his body began to break down that he could no longer do so, and it is ironic that it overlapped with the very period in which our supporting cast began to strengthen (acquisition of scola, etc.). I must also say that although I love Clutch and have historically agreed with just about every perspective article he wrote, I felt 'the day t-mac lost houston' was slightly overblown, and somewhat kneejerk to what was admittedly a poor response by T-Mac to the circumstances at hand.

It is a pity that so many on this board and Rockets fans elsewhere that will only remember T-Mac as a shell of his former self; a slow, below average shooter with limited dribbling skills. For those of us who saw him in his prime, we know that he was arguably the best and most talented player in the league for multiple seasons on end....and I for one wish him well.

1 person likes this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Kobe wasnt injured like TMac was. Tracy wasnt going to stop that dunk period..One play are you serious.