1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about non-black people using or being called the n-word?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Aug 25, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been called the N-word as both an insult by a white person, and as a compliment by some black kids. I personally avoid using it in either context. The widespread use of the N-word as slang to me is a sign about how lazy we are with language as a culture. I think it does a disservice to the history of the term and fear that at some point we will see the term used like "Dude" as a slang way of referring to other males.

1 person likes this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I cannot think of a single situation where that word should be used instead of other words.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Shouldn't be used at all.

4. Nook

Nook Member

How often has a "white person" used the term in front of you? How do you know they say it to get a negative response from you?

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

As a proud black, middle-aged, woman who's selling puppies... I'm OK with this.

1 person likes this.
  6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Do the puppies have a choice in their family being broken up and scattered into uncertain circumstances? :eek: ;)

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. dragician

dragician Member

it's getting worse.. if you listen to billboard top 40, most songs about ni66ers or betchs.

9. Nook

Nook Member

For what it is worth I do not think the word should be used casually and is very powerful. If I choose to use it, I mean it and know it will probably result in violence. The term is far more common in the North from my experience.. I hear it all the time in Chicago and Cincy. In Chicago it is used as a slur but common.. Not really taboo, which makes me very uncomfortable.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Anyone care to comment on the difference between ****er and ****a ?

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

What difference? No matter how I say it it will still have the same ramifications.

So F*** this merited racism.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't like anyone using it for any reason. I can understand that it's use and overuse and flippant use can sap its power an degrade it as a racial weapon. The psychology makes sense to me. But, I'd rather not go that way. I'd rather just keep it as a bad word you'd be ostracized over (as it's treated on this board, considering all the self-censorship in this thread).

It used to be very common.

One of them ends with -er and the other with -a.

13. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

What a fresh new topic

14. ketchupNmustard

500 years ago has nothing to do with black people now, so it is neither their responsibility to feel hurt nor the white peoples responsibility to feel guilty.

Modern usage of the word has enabled it to be viewed as a word interchangeably used with other pronouns such as man,dude, or guy.

The modern use is most obvious in large diverse cities where you can find instances of black peole calling whites "*****s" or even mexicans calling asians *****s.

Though I find that it's either youth, urban lower class, or wannabes using the word. And I tell my friends who call me that, not to. I have found my self saying it.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

FYI, slavery wasn't 500 years ago, and Jim Crow laws were still in effect less than 50 years ago. That word still has power and an extremely negative connotation and has no place in society.

16. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

No matter what there has to be some sort of negative thread at the top of this forum in regards to minorities. What a bunch of assholes.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Do know not have a problem with the word ending with A. I use it all the time but only in the context of the way you would use the word dude.

The one that ends with er is vey bad and should be banned.

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Even one year is too long to enslave another human being but 500 years is way off . First documented slaves in north america were around 1620 . So around 245 years up to 1865 .

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fine. They want to own that word and change the meaning that's the right of any culture. Hopefully the day will come when all negative connotations with that word are gone. I have been called it by blacks and it doesn't bother me. I think context is everything. I have also been called a sand N word before - and that wasn't so friendly.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Quite a few times during heated exchanges or when around drunk people.

How can I tell?

By the way it is said, the number of times it is said, and the context in which it is said.

Why do you ask?