1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wrapping up deal with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Fantasma Negro

Damn I don't know how I did that and looking at it now I don't know where to put him. I hope he stays, he reminds me of the Chuckwagon. Unless we trade Asik or Brooks I can see him getting cut...and ending up in Philly LoL

2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

G Smith is by far the most underrated player and the biggest underdog story in GARM. It started when more than half the CF thought he wouldn't make the final cut last year.

I remember a game against Lakers when Dwight completely embarrassing Asik down low. McHale were desperate and subbed in Smith early who went toe-to-toe against Dwight and stopped the bleeding, a remarkable feat considering that he was still a rookie.

The game against Hornets when Parsons and Harden took a day off, Lin kept feeding Smith and Asik in down low, IIRC scored the first 22 of 25 points in the paint. The game was a blowout from early on.

Beside Dwight and Asik, does anyone really think Jones, DMo, or Casspi can defend against David West, ZBo, Duncan, Griffin, Glenn Davis, or KG?

Grizzlies could be one of the opponents in the playoffs. Marc and ZBo averaged 35 min/game last season. If we want full 48-min paint protection by Asik or Dwight, someone has to guard ZBo for about 20 min/game. Until proven otherwise, Smith is the only one who is up for the task.

Lastly, small ball is so overrated. ANY team can assemle small ball offense but only a few teams have the talents to go BIG.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree. We won't be keeping Johnny Flynn on the roster over others because he makes more. They are all expiring and they are all due about the same cash (except for Henriquez and Young). It's keep the best players regardless of financial implications because everything is so even that it really doesn't matter.

Sign a couple more vet min partial or full guaranteed contracts. More for us to pick from. But one of these guys better not hurt one of our starters trying too hard to get a job.

4. Fantasma Negro

Over who exactly? You really expect McHail to carry four point guards?

5. Fantasma Negro

I agree 100% but my issue is then who goes if he stays. I'm still not impressed with Montejunas but I think Morey is in love with him and is gonna wanna see him get some mins. T. Jones should be the starter imo. At Center if we keep Asik we know he gets gassed and Camby was signed for leadership not floor contribution, Smith should stay. I'm seeing a trade coming...

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Remember when we drafted Aaron Brooks? Four point guards in front of him and he ended up being the starter. Canaan has potential to be a solid player, no way he get cut.

7. Fantasma Negro

Why didn't anyone tell me the new cba says rosters are now at 13 and not 12 anymore:

Game Roster:
    1. Omer Asik
    2. Pat Beverley
    3. Aaron Brooks
    4. Marcus Camby
    5. Francisco Garcia
    6. James Harden
    7. Dwight Howard
    8. Terrence Jones
    9. Jeremy Lin
    10. Donatas Montejunas
    11. Chandler Parsons
    12. Ronnie Brewer
    13. Greg Smith

Vipers:
    Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington
    Jordan Henriquez
    BJ Young

Odd men out:
    Omri Casspi
    Reggie Williams

8. QazQay

QazQay Member

Numbers don't work. I think a trade is coming

9. davestrate

davestrate Member

Trade is Brewing!

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Wow. Lots of players on the roster! I'm going to attempt to make sense of it.

Obvious Makes: Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin, Asik, Beverley, Garcia, Brooks, Camby, Smith, Motiejunas, Jones (12)

We now have 1 spot left.

Competing for last spot: Brewer, Williams, Casspi, Covington, Henriquez, Young, Caanan (7)

What we have for sure:

Lin/Beverley/Brooks
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons
    Jones/Motiejunas/Smith
    Howard/Asik/Camby

Cut Canaan, Henriquez, Young, and Covington, and send them to the D-League.

We now have Brewer, Casspi, and Williams competing for that last roster spot. Brewer gives defense. Casspi gives us shooting. Williams give us scoring. Tough call. I say we keep Casspi. Most all-around of the three and he can shoot. He can also play the 4, which the others cannot.

Lin/Beverley/Brooks
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    Jones/Motiejunas/Smith
    Howard/Asik/Camby

Would this work?

11. Fantasma Negro

There's any dead weight on this team for that to happen again. I remember it like it was yesterday Rafer Alston, Mike James, and Steve Francis, and Bobby Jackson were in front of him. Francis got hurt, Mike James wasn't the same Mike James we had the first time and then got traded to the Hornets. Then Rafer played like ass for half the season and got traded to the Magic, opening the door for Brooks to start...until Lowry showed up. I think that season is why so many people on here have so much love for our back up point guards more than our starters. But that's not conceivable for that to happen againLin is our starter, Beverley is the junk yard dog and Brooks will come in and change the pace and hit open shots late in games. No room for Canaan yet, Brooks is on a one year deal

12. Fantasma Negro

Lin/Beverley/Brooks
    Harden/Brewer
    Parsons/Garcia
    Jones/Smith/Motiejunas
    Howard/Asik/Camby

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Very weird way to set it up. Roster is up to 15 with Active List up to 13. 3 players can be cut and obtain D League Affiliate Rights if no one claims them.

Canaan is most likely on 15 man roster. Casspi is most likely on 15 man roster and 13 man Active List. If Rockets do nothing, I think Brooks, Camby, Brewer, Covington, and Williams are all fighting to make the team.Jordan Henriquez and BJ Young are most likely cut and hopefully don't get claimed.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the 3 to d league -- do they count towards total roster?

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I believe DMo is a late bloomer. He may have bulked up but he is still not ready. Morey is indeed in love with DMo but McHale, on the other hand, has little faith in DMo. Such a dilema. LOL

I believe too that Jones might well become our starter but he could also be the first one on the trading block.

Why? Morey will be able sell higher on Jones than Smith, but in actuality, Smith was the better player last season.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Up to 3 can be waived during to obtain D League Affiliate Rights. These guys do not need to be on the 15 man roster, but my understanding is that they have to go through waivers. Canaan and Covington will not make it through waivers unless they flat out bomb training camp. Up to 3 from the 15 man roster can also be sent to the D League.

17. Fantasma Negro

Canaan And Covington will start the season on the active roster and then be designated to the Vipers to fully explain my roster

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

No, Canaan is part of the long term plan, he will stay.

19. Convictedstupid

You can't draft a player and then just have him sign with your D league team. What you can, and what we have already done, is draft him and sign him to a contract. And then send him down to the D league. Which takes a roster spot.

20. Convictedstupid

Ah I see what you did. To make it less confusing, maybe include Covington and Canaan on your full 15 man roster instead of lumping them in with full time Viper players.