1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nah, I would have wanted Flacco over Schaub. I want Keenum over Schaub now. If it is not there in black and white for Schaub, he can't make things happen. He isnt a playmaker and is only a game manager. That's fine if everything is on schedule, but like we saw in the playoffs or in big games last season, as soon as things go "off schedule", Schaub falters. It's why I would rather have a QB like Keenum who shines brighter when the lights are on. Schaub is okay for this team, but the offense is being held back because of him.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I feel the same way.

How many people, not only here but even ESPN etc, were saying the Ravens couldn't win with Flacco. Then boom.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what proof do you have that Keenum shines in the bright lights? He had his worst game as a Cougar against Southern Miss on ESPN, the biggest game in UH history in probably over a couple of decades.

4. Scarface281

Yeah that's one game. How about his games against Oklahoma state, Alabama, or Oregon?

5. macalu

he played against Alabama and Oregon in 2007 and lost. he was only mediocre in those games.

Oklahoma state is the team you mentioned that he's excelled against.

i'm a UH alum and would love to see Keenum succeed, especially here. But let's temper our expectations ok?

6. Scarface281

Lmao, temper our expectations? I don't think its any secret that Keenum is more talented than Schaub. Like I said, we can win a SB with Schaub, but he won't make things happen. He is Trent Dilfer. We have seen the best of Schaub.

7. macalu

i'll gladly eat crow if Keenum is the QB version of Arian Foster, practice squad guy who turns into an pro bowler. i think it's too much to ask right now.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

How many people outside of Baltimore thought the Ravens would win? Heck, how many people in Baltimore thought they would win?

Yea, Keenum was so talented that he went undrafted. It is the "backup QB syndrome": everybody thinks the backup is better. There is a reason he is the still most likely the 3rd string QB. Yates has played just as well and is a year more experienced and has actually played a REAL GAME.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well he's only had one with a good team, and despite all the hate he got for the failure,mother defense gave up 80 points to the patriots in two games and struggled in the second half of last season to stop any passing attacks.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trent dilfer would give his left nut to have been as good as Schaub in his career. The idea that Schaub is a dilfer or a game manager is ridiculous.

11. Scarface281

Did you really just try and use the undrafted argument? Draft position means nothing. He isn't still most likely the third string. He has already moved ahead of Yates and will go first after Schaub against the Saints. Keenum was much better than Yates the first game and the second was a tie (tho Yates had the luxury of having a running game). I think the biggest thing is Keenum has showed a lot of improvement from last year. Meanwhile Yates has looked the same, maybe even a slight regression, from his rookie season.

12. Scarface281

Nah he is definitely a game manager. he isn't a playmaker, that is for sure. It's no secret who Schaub is now. He is 32 and I doubt he is going to get much better. He isn't a mid 20s Joe flacco.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I would compare schaub to Seahawks hasselbeck. Similar type stats. He's definitely better than dilfer

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

Umm... how does draft position mean nothing? Among the 32 professional teams that do scouting to an advanced level, nobody felt like securing his rights. That means something, and the chances of an undersized undrafted QB to beat out a proven, experienced backup who has played and won in the playoffs are small. Care to name a success story of a similar individual? To qualify my argument, if Keenum does turn out to beat Yates (which is doable), that just serves to be better for the Texans. Speaking about upside, Yates is bigger, just as mobile, and can throw the deep ball better. Remember the 2o yard QB scramble against the Bengals? Instincts are there as well.

The Arian Foster counter does not work. Did Keenum have character issues, injury issues, fumble issues, and do absolutely jack squat his senior year? No, he was smashing records and destroying teams. I am a UH football fan and loved him all four years, but the expectations have to be simmered.

Why is he not the 3rd string still? Because Antonio Smith said he was "doing his thing?" NOBODY playing for the Texans understands the QB position like Kubiak or Shcaub: Schaub hasn't said much of substance and Kubiak said the same thing about Yates last year, of "knowing the system better" and all that interview junk. This battle is still definitely up in air, and still Yates job to lose in the 4th preseason game.

Keenum will never even sniff a QB controversy with Shaub. Take off your Keenum homer glasses. Let me remind you where he is ranked by a respected NFL analyst:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=241700&highlight=quarterbacks

Was Keenum much better than Yates the first game? PFF thinks differently, stating Yates actually played better. They analyze every play for every player and have a set of damn good advanced metrics as well.

How was the second game a tie? the 4th and 2 was great play calling by Kubes to have Lestar Jean fake the 5 yard out route (still a good pass, but nothing jaw-dropping). He also had 3 passes batted down and overthrew Lemon twice in a row IIRC.

How on earth did Yates "have the luxury" of a running game? The defensive scheme of the team doesn't change just because of a couple 10+ yards gained. In reality, the running game was solid for both QB's, and sucked with the starters.

Keenum has shown improvement. Agreed. But does that matter if he has improved but is still on a lower level? I improved my FIFA skills over the past year, but am still not better than my old room mate, who hasn't played in a while. In addition, you do not have enough evidence as a fan to say that Yates has regressed.

15. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

There's no chance that Texans would do this but word is Jets will pick up Keenum if he is placed on practice squad.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Bucky Richardson

17. SSP365

SSP365 Member

imo this whole quarterback competition has been a total farce.

kubiak will choose yates over keenum even if keenum outplays yates because it will give schaub and kubiak a security blanket. if kubiak decides keenum is #2, when schaub starts sucking (and he will you caught an early glimpse already in the dolphin game) it will create a quarterback controversy due to keenum's UofH fanbase.

The calls for keenum to start is something kubiak would never allow. He will choose yates because he knows yates isnt better than schaub so the alternative would be worse hence schaub's job will be secure publicly.

What is happening now is another david carr situation where we keep hoping that carr will turn it around and we waste years waiting for it.

the worst part is, we have a great roster now while david carr had a crap one, but kubiak is too reluctant to pull the trigger on a qb change. If anything i hope kubiak carries 3 qbs.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Did you really just compare Schaub to David Carr? A more accurate comparison to Carr would be Gabbert.

19. SSP365

SSP365 Member

learn how to properly analyze what you are reading.

nowhere in that post did i compare schaub the player to david carr the player.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You wrote the Texans currently have "another David Carr situation where we keep hoping Carr will turn it around...". Since you wrote "another...", then one would surmise that you could substitute Schaub's name for Carr's.

It that vein, you compared the two.

1 person likes this.