1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets wrapping up deal with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

didn't see much more of that after that 2nd game of the season b/c harden was usually the one with the ball in his hands and we didn't really have anyone else who could cut like that backdoor. brewer may not make the team, but his skillset on D and offense is definitely something this team can use.

2. ejarts

ejarts Member

Lebron, Kd, star stopper

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

D-mo will be traded

4. basketballholic

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo,

now there's 19 guys under contract.

Wanna guess who is at the bottom of the roster?

19. Henriquez - non-guaranteed deal, he'll be the first guy cut.

18. B.J. Young - only owed $40,000, he'll likely be the 2nd guy cut barring some sort of trade

17. Reggie Williams/Ronnie Brewer - Williams has a 50% partial guarantee, may be cut. I suspect Brewer got the exact same deal with a 50% guarantee.

15. Aaron Brooks - has a guaranteed deal as part of making him whole from his buyout. No long-term plan for him here. Don't be surprised if we kept both of Williams/Brewer and cut Brooks.

14. Robert Covington - guaranteed for the year with $150,000 guarantee for next season as well. The least likely player to be cut.

There's your bubble guys.

What I suspect will happen:

1. Either Greg Smith gets traded for a future draft pick (don't see a role for him here with Dwight and Asik and Camby) or a trade goes down for Asik or Lin before roster cut down (not likely).

2. Henriquez and Young both cut. We gave Young $40,000. I think there's already an agreement there for him to go to RGV for the year. Don't think he wants to go to Europe but they had to give him some $$$ to get him to stay here. $40,000 plus his dleague $$$ he can live on.

3. One of Brooks/Williams/Brewer/Covington gets cut.

(we are getting closer to Brooks being gone, guys, because he has no long-term role here and he was simply given a contract to make him whole from his buyout.)

5. ffrigger

ffrigger Member

So we've had some three point shooters and finally we're getting a good defensive wing player. Would be nice to have someone that can do it both but still happy.
    Brewer could be out wing stopper, i don't see anybody else, maybe Parsons when he'S really focused on it.

6. rogower

rogower Member

Yet another good bargain bin addition by the Rockets management team. Ronnie Brewer is way too good to not be on somebody's roster.

Guys, all signs point to some trades between now and late October, when final 15 man rosters are due. Look for quantity-for-quality trades and trades for draft picks, e.g., Greg Smith for a second rounder, Jeremy Lin and Terrence Jones for Ersan Ilyasova, maybe even Donatas Motiejunas for a first rounder.

Look at the production, not the name, or pedigree, or perceived "upside." If you can ship off superfluous depth for upgraded starters and/or draft picks, you do it. The best 12th man in the league is still just a 12th man.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, look... we got the 14th pick again. ;)

2 people like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey is a Social Darwinist, creating intense competition at every position.

Guaranteed contracts do not guarantee you a roster spot.

1 person likes this.
  9. dragician

dragician Member

wow, very smart player. i hope he retires as a rocket.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Hahaha, that's what I was thinking.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lin/Beverley/Brooks/Canaan
    Harden/Brewer
    Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
    Jones/Smith/Motiejunas
    Howard/Asik/Camby

Will prob be the final cut if no trades.

12. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

lol let's chill with the Morey love fest.... all NBA teams do this before training camp.

13. lfw

lfw Rookie

Don't get your expectations up with Brewer. He is an excellent defender but has absolutely no jumpshot. Defenders basically don't guard him on the perimeter at all. If he had any sort of reliable jumpshot, he would not be available for the vet minimum.

14. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

Sorry that's not true. Other than his first two seasons in the NBA, Williams has not been a great 3pt shooter, averaging around 30% in college, and just over 30% his last two seasons in the pros.

Meanwhile Garcia has shot a consistent 36% from downtown over his 8 year career.

Williams can score, but Garcia is the better shooter until proven otherwise.

15. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

love it..we've got perimeter defense that we need...its a bonus if DM could upgrade our PF thru trade

16. rogower

rogower Member

Good analysis, as always. If Lin isn't traded, I agree that Brooks is a goner.

I think Morey would like to keep Young. Young likely gets claimed if he's waived, and I think Morey sees him as a potential rotation guy next season. Same with Covington.

Reggie Williams' head is likely second on the chopping block, not Young's, in my opinion.

I'd like to see Smith traded for a projected high second rounder, Motiejunas traded for a projected mid-first rounder, Lin and Jones traded for Ilyasova, and Asik traded to Portland for Robin Lopez and a Blazers first rounder, which is liable to end up late lottery. That creates three roster spots, which means only Henriquez gets cut.

Starting lineup

Patrick Beverly
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Dwight Howard

Rotation guys

Francisco Garcia
    Robin Lopez
    Omri Casspi
    Isaiah Canaan

End of the bench

Marcus Camby
    Aaron Brooks
    Ronnie Brewer
    Reggie Williams

Stashed in the developmental league

Robert Covington
    B.J. Young

Waived

Jordan Henriquez

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Correct. I saw Williams in his best season at Golden State, and I am still NOT a fan of his game. His defense is just too poor to make up for his sporadically above-average offense.

I'm hoping Brewer makes the team ahead of Williams. This team needs tough D. I would like to see one more enforcer up front, as I'm not sure that Camby can fill the role, and Smith is still young and plays a bit too nice.

18. dragician

dragician Member

our PF rotation is crappy but I would put Dmo on top because of his experience.

I'd like to see Howard and Camby playing together since Marcus can shoot.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not at all.

Reggie Williams replaces Delfino.

Brewer replaces Battier minus the cerebral assassin mentality but plus the athleticism.

3 point shot is pretty nonexistent as well.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is nothing more than a simple number's game. The more you sign, the more likely you find a rotation worthy player among the bunch who fits into our offense.

1 person likes this.