1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik 6th Man of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Weatherby, Aug 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been a team with two all-star centers starting together and leading their team to the NBA finals. Never in NBA history.

[​IMG]

#21 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

If he isn't traded by the deadline, Omer will play a huge part next season. He's just too good period. Really, would you rather g. Smith, dmo, or jones man up the 5? He'll play a big part but wont win 6th man of the year imho. His game isn't "flashy" enough and Fairweather fans only care about scoring. They will overlook how dominant and how much impact asik makes coming in as a 6th after howard. 10- 12ppg is all most people will see and appreciate sadly.

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

What you guys don't realize is that McHale and Asik are soon to unleash the Rocket's new secret weapon. No, it's not Dwight Howard. It's the backup center/sometimes PF's 15-foot jump shot. Just wait...

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Defense rarely gets acknowledged with awards unless its defense specific.

I would also add that McHale was a significant offensive option scoring 15 PPG and 22 PPG the 2 years he won the award.

When Walton won the award he was recognized as a hall of famer that made a significant contribution to a championship team. Walton really was great that season but his numbers would not have won the award if he were not playing for the Celtics (the NBAs flagship franchise) and they had not won the championship.

On a side note: has any other team besides the Celtics been able to claim the sixth man of the year, 3 years in a row?

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Isn't it strange that I have never complained about your posts? Why is that? Because you do have an understanding of the game. And why cannot I offer my feedback on threads? You don't think that people should be apprised of their lack of understanding and knowledge? That just because you can post some random thought does not mean you should? It is content that matters.

You dislike me voicing my displeasure of people posting spurious thoughts that pop into their heads? It seems to me that one should put serious thought into any matter that starts a new thread. The attitude that fosters "Ohhh! I just had a great idea! I need to post a 40 word thread describing my "brilliant insight"" without serious thought needs to be ridiculed. It begs to be ridiculed.

Any decent thread that is not news cannot be framed in 40 or so words. It just is not possible. Look at Clutch's posts. Look at Bima's posts.

All I am asking is that you not waste my time. And everyone else's.

6. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I think that if you believe a post represents a lack of knowledge and understanding, you should inform them or try to prove them wrong, not say "your account is too new, be quiet."

Also I think this poster was asking more questions than trying to make a statement. Yes, he stated that he believes Asik could be win the sixth man but then he asked for what other people thought and if it was even possible for a center to win the award in todays game.

In this instance, the OP was asking for a discussion which I think is just fine. If he had simply stated that Asik would win because he says so and everyone else was stupid for not agreeing then yeah, he's asking to be derided.

At the very least, this is a better example of a post than one saying that Harden should play the PF because his size compares to Lou Amundson... >.> Joking or not...

Oh and for the record, no I don't think that Asik will win the 6th Man but if he did it'd be a great showing that more people are valuing defense... It also would mean that we had a pretty good year and we were successful with Asik playing the back up role as well as some minutes alongside Howard.

The main reason he won't win is because the award represents more of the offensive side of the game (or at the very least, a well rounded game that has good offense). Harden and Smith, being the last two to receive the award, got it because they put up big points off the bench that obviously impacted the game even to the casual viewer. It's easier to say "Oh, Harden hit 25 that game and that's why they won" than to say "Well Asik really defended the pick and roll well tonight and changed a lot of shots around the rim, that's why they won."

1 person likes this.
  7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have neither the time nor the interest to inform people why they should not be starting 40 word threads with 19 posts to their name. We both could rewrite that thread to make it interesting, relevant and thoughtful. Should I give it a try? Do you think it would actually encourage the thread starter to improve his content, or just give him an excuse to post more brain farts?

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The thing is not every team has Zach Randolph so maybe that game he plays 30 minutes, put the next day he might play 4 minutes against a small ball team and his minutes per average will be 17.

I think its a valid point that he might not get enough minutes. NBA titles aren't about awards, they are about valuable minutes played. If Asik rocks it for 5 minutes and the Rocks win a title I say, "give him the key to the city".

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Man, I don't know if Asik would want that role. But yeah I do see him as a 6th man.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why are you assuming he's not a starter?

Honestly, I think he's going to be a vital 6th man, but I have to agree with the people saying that award goes to scorers. The thinking isn't very deep when they hand out these awards.

12. dje243

dje243 Member

When the time comes to let him go I'm gonna be really depressed. He just has that hard-working mentality and grit that seems rare these days in professional sports.

13. SSP365

SSP365 Member

never gonna happen.

6th man award is for scoring. asik was barely at double figures when he was starting.

14. Voice of Aus

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

edit: never mind.

16. Voice of Aus

Lol I saw what u said about JTR, I thought WW3 was gonna erupt..

Good thinking editing it

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

i think he can do it

if he is a backend C and plays some time at PF, he can get 30 mins in a game

i think he can get

12 pts, 11 rebs, 1.5 blks

18. alethios

alethios Member

I came here thinking he already won it...geez, what a let down. Add a question mark to the thread title to imply conjecture, pls.

BTW, there are many talented, skilled 6th men out there that would probably be considered before Omer. Not to say that he's not worthy, he's just not a force on the offense, which is usually what 6th men are brought in for - that spark off the bench.

19. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Asik is our Center..Until Howard proves he can get better..he should be happy at PF..Watch some of Asik's highlights last season..compared to HOwards..Its a no brainer..Asik can make free throws..Howard cant...

20. Weatherby

Weatherby Member

I can write relevant articles whenever I feel like it. You must be one of those people that really likes to hear there own opinion. Take your sense of entitlement and put it on the back burner for a year. K?