1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 16, 2013.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Let it go man their minds aren't going to be changed by behind the computer warriors. I understand you don't agree with it but the decision has been made and we all have to live with it.

2. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

Maybe a different point of view on Luhnow and Springer, but could it be a carry over from St. Louis and how they ran things there. Look at the Allen Craig, Jon Jay, David Freese. These guys were all over 25 when called up. On the flip side, none of those guys can do what Springer can. I'm just searching for answers like everyone else.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh I can complain about it as much as I want. I don't feel it's right. The more awareness that's raised by fans and eventually the local media, the sooner these types of "stashing" strategies by cheap teams can be exposed.

You can go back to supporting any and every decision the team makes blindly.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luhnow ran the minor league/scouting side of things. He was never the GM there.

We know he can do that... And he's doing it here. We don't know how he can handle a major league team just yet. His only track record thus far is some historically bad seasons (albeit by design).

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because the Angels sure are doing it the right way!

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'm not supporting it because I want to see Springer up here just as much as the next guy, but you don't see me complaining about it in every single one of my posts.

7. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

When we play the Blue Jays next Friday-Sunday Im going to start a "We want Springer" chant. Whose with me?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In nicknaming you the Astros minister of propaganda.

I'm not the only one harping about it. Pallilo is the only mainstream media member, but that will soon change if this type of "stashing" continues.

9. conquistador#11

25 is too young. how about at 30?

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's just the flavor of the day for Pallilo to whine about. He'd have found something regardless.

11. Major

Major Member

You act like this is a pattern with the team. If anything, they have been more than willing to bring up prospects over the course of this year.

When they are willing to bring up all sorts of players except for one, it might indicate the issue is more specific to the player than the team philosophy.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Compared to Villar and Cosart, he's the one player they have (or haven't) called up who is most likely to force the issue with arbitration. He's also the one who given his advanced age is most likely to have initial success.

I know they want to put him in a position to succeed right away, but they also want to work the system to save $$$. I'm against holding players back for that reason 100% of the time.

13. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone has any sense right now of what any of these players will be in 4 or 5 years where arbitration really starts to matter. Let's not forget that last May, people were calling Altuve and JD Martinez the next Biggio and Bagwell.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but Springer, a first round pick, previous largest bonus paid to an Astros player (at the time of his signing), and already at an advanced age being out of college... has a few more expectations than any of the other players we have called up/developed thus far.

I'm not ready to christen him the "second coming"... but the expectations are definitely higher for him (even higher so now after his minor league tear) than the other players... and I believe this is causing the organization to make his service time contract a prime issue as to why he's not up here.

Also, I'm 100% with you that nobody knows what these players are capable of TILL THEY ARE UP HERE. From simply looking at building the best team here as fast as possible, he should have been called up here after the all-star break. Its plenty of time for him to make adjustments, or have the league adjust to him, and give him a good measuring stick of what he needs to be capable of going into 2014. But, if you're taking into account arbitration and free agency issues, it gums up the works.

#34 Nick, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I trust the Astros baseball minds wayyyyyyy more than yours. I'll let them make the decisions here.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Since joining the RedHawks on June 27, George Springer's 15 homers lead the PCL. The next closest is 9. Also leads in RBI (44).</p>&mdash; Alex Freedman (@azfreedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/azfreedman/statuses/368846259424989184">August 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Have you never questioned an organizations decision making?

The current crappy state if the MLB team and farm system (pre luhniw) is a direct result if years of terrible decision making by so-called "baseball minds" with lots of experience.

I know this is a new regime now, but I'm not going to sip the kook-aid and agree with every single move made. I've liked most of the moves thus far... I disagree with this one.

And after enduring the awful everyday product for the last three years that has been on display...a team built to be inferior, despite charging big league prices...disagreeing with one move really isn't all that bad.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I just don't understand why so many people are this upset about Springer staying in AAA. Say he comes up here now, we keep losing and he struggles mightily (and therefore loses his confidence going into next year). What good did bringing him up do in this case?

As much as I would like to see him come up now and dominate, it wouldn't do anything substantial to the team and fanbase as a whole. We are the worst team in the league with terrible attendance and Texans football is about to take over the city.

19. Major

Major Member

I think what people take issue with is you're taking one move and implying all sorts of motivations for it and indicting an organization for those motives. None of that is really substantiated.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What does that have to do with delaying a player for non-performance reasons.