1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Dwyane Wade to Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Miracles Boys33, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you compare Wade to Clyde Drexler

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Clyde played in a era when the refs wouldn't blow their whistle on ticky tac fouls like today's era

2. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Drexler was great no doubt, but he was never considered to be equal to Mike. Anyone who believes that has him overrated. I think its a lot closer than many people think.

Wade does more than two things he does what you named and you can add he's a good shot blocker for a guard and he defends.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

No he's right. I'm on Game 3 of the 92 finals and they mention the comparison many times. Though i dont think they were saying equals by talent, but just the top 2 sg's in the league. I mean i heard comments like "thats why hes the best ever" and hadn't won his 2nd ring at that point. So i'm pretty sure everyone knew Jordan was better, but that CLyde was 2nd and Jordan would use the opportunity to show that even the 2nd best wasn't even anywhere close to him.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

people say this, but the free throw attempt to field goal attempt ratio last year was the lowest in nba history (i think it was all-time but it may have just been the last 30 years). how much has to do with increased 3 point attempts (almost 1/4 of all shots last year) and how much has to do with analytics telling teams (like the spurs) to avoid fouls at all costs, i don't know. but free throws are not nearly as easy to come by in today's game as people think they are.

5. T-mac&Yao=RING

Oh yes Drexler was the clear cut number two sg in the league that I can agree with, but equal not so much.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd agree. Both great players.

7. T-mac&Yao=RING

This is what I am going with. Wade in his prime was better, but people are forgetting how great Wade once was, because of how he's playing now.

8. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Drexler was a better overall player, Drexler had more skills: jump shot, pull up, catch and shoot, drive, defense, vision and passing. plus he is 6ft6/6ft7. Drexler was able to play within an offense, wade needs the offense to cater to him (more of a 1v1 player). Drexler was an unselfish superstar.

Wade plays like Lebron (before lebron joined the heat)...wade holds the ball and isolates and drives in for layup or dunk, if double teamed he will just pass it out to the open man. Poor mans lebron. Dont get me wrong, Wade is still a great player. To wade's credit he has learned to play off the ball better the last couple of seasons playing with lebron james. (Lebron holds the ball). that is what I see and my opinion :)

Ps even our beloved harden plays this way. 1v1 holds the ball, he needs to learn to play team basketball, play within an offense. move, cut, set a screen just do something other than standing behind the 3pt line when he doesn't have the ball.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

On the poll options.. what's the difference between "not sure" and "maybe"? Lol isn't that the same thing?

10. VBG

VBG Member

Wade in his prime is generally regarded as clearly a better player than Clyde.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By many? Equal? Maybe "on par with" by a vocal minority in a very oblique way. And then they were never heard to even hint at it as Jordan left him far far behind.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The bad boy pistons might be one of the more overrated squads in history. They would get killed in today's NBA. Other than the ability to play Laimbeer as a legit stretch player and Rodman, they simply don't translate very well to the modern era. Their defense might have been revolutionary at the time but its like comparing the Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers spread passing spread attack to the Dan Fouts chargers - things have evolved.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Comparing players between different basketball generations is difficult at best, but I would put Wade somewhere between Clyde and MJ.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not sure... maybe? :grin:

15. psk

psk Member

today's zone isn't a true zone due to the defensive 3 second rule. now college basketball has a true zone.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Drexler was a more skilled offensive player. Wade was better on defense. I'd say they were about the same level overall during their respective primes.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If shaq isn't on the team,they don't even make the playoffs.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This isn't even close to me. Clyde packed portlan to the finals. When he was a secondary player,he won a title. When did clyde ever avg 14ppg in his prime in the playoffs?

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Its hard to compare these two since Clyde never took steroids.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]