1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Top Ten Questions about this upcoming season and your Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crazyguypete, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Two things matter about head coaches... leader of men is one, the other is deciding who is on the court and when. McHale is clearly very good at one of those; the other is less clear.

I can't say he is bad at it, as we are operating in an information vacuum relative to him; but it is by no means clear he is good at it.

2. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

No time to read.

3. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

Appreciate it man and I understand the frustration.

4. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

I see McHale play the players that are playing best in a game. If your bench is working best and your starters suck he will ride the bench. A number of games throughout last season we saw Douglas or Beverley close out the games. That game they keep showing on NBA TV against the Thunder Greg Smith was finishing it out. Our closing power forward from night to night was a great mystery. Its a contrast to Rick Adelman who I felt always finished games with his core guys. Is this a good idea? When you have a team where everyone is on the same level and you are gunning for a playoff birth is one thing but what about if you are legitimately going for a title. What happens if Asik is out playing Howard in a game? I think this is going to be something interesting to watch out for.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Sometimes he did that. Sometimes it sure didn't look that way. But again, it was really hard to tell what was going on without more information.
    Those cases were clear enough :)
    Especially early on with Douglas, I think some of those were for limiting Lin's minutes. This is in retrospect; at the time it did not always make sense. Sometimes it was obvious.
    I think that was more of a "please let someone, anyone, grab this job."
    I doubt if Asik outplaying Howard will affect minutes much, unless injury is involved. Same with Harden. Everyone else on the team, though...