1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is most popular sport figure in Houston right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Aug 8, 2013.

?

Who is the most popular in Houston right now?

1. JJ Watt

57.1%
  2. Chandler Parsons

1.8%
  3. James Harden

8.4%
  4. Dwight Howard

13.2%
  5. Brian Cushing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Andre Johnson

1.5%
  7. Jose Altuve

0.9%
  8. Arian Foster

1.1%
  9. Jeremy Lin

13.8%
  10. Mine not on this list

2.2%
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

lol at the people voting for Lin. I have to think you don't live in Houston. The OP asked "in Houston", not the world. Watt (and football in general) is FAR more popular than any of the Rockets players.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Watt, deservedly so. Howard can totally steal the show though, much easier for a basketball player to do so, but I'm not sure that'll happen until CSN gets picked up.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

JJ Mega Watt is the most popular athlete in Houston.
    Harden or Andre Johnson is second.
    Howard is 4th.

Lol at the ones that think Lin is more popular than those four guys.

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

JJ Watt is a Houston icon right now...no one compares.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Watt and it's not even close. Worldwide it would be Howard

7. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Jj watt easy. If he ran for mayor he'd win in a landslide.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

It depends on the moment in time. Right now, Dwight Howard, since the big signing just happened. But as the NFL season starts, I'm sure Watt will be more popular than Howard, at any point in time. Once the football season ends, and the Rockets are still playing, Howard / Harden will be at the top.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Andre Johnson is boring. He shouldn't even be in the top 5.
    1. JJ Watt
    2. The Beard
    3. Dwight Howard(He'll soon be on top 2 with all the Diva he is)
    4. Jeremy Lin
    5. Arian Foster

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JLin might be hat in Asia

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Depends on what you mean by popular. If you mean most liked it is JJ but if you mean who has the bigger name/face recognition I think it's Howard.

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Houston is a football town, I won't be surprised if there are more people who know who Yates is than Howard or Harden. So if we are talking about recognition or even popularity, it will always be our top football players over any of our basketball players.

JJ in a landslide.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) JJ Watt by a landslide

2) Andre Johnson

3) James Harden

4) Dwight Howard

5) Arian Foster

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's just not true. Houston is a football town but not everybody watches football. If a girl doesn't know Howard from basketball she might know him from watching Basketball Wives or a commercial or something else. Basketball players in general are more recognizable and well known because we see their faces all the time and they tend to show up a lot more in pop culture. At no point in time was Warren Moon ever more popular than Jordan or Magic even in Houston.

15. deba

deba New Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

This.... Watt is "hot" right now, and he has the right personality and look to dominate Houston. Further the Texans are a good team, so that basically closes the argument. If the Texans when the Super Bowl they will basically need to rename Reliant after Watt.

I think AJ is second. He has been the best player on the Texans for a majority of his career, he is a future Hall of Famer, and handles himself with class and dignity.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I don't know, Warren Moon was a really big deal for awhile. He was pitching products on television and was a regular on the interview circuit. Don't underestimate the popularity of football in Houston and in the surrounding suburbs like Katy, etc.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Football is huge but it's so much harder to get your name and face out there. Football is the ultimate team sport while basketball is all about the individuals. Yao was more popular than Andre Johnson and T-Mac probably was too.

19. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Def JJ. Not even close.

I think Andre follows him and then James Harden and Dwight.

20. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

JJ Watt by a landslide. I'm not sure even the Tyler Rose was more popular in Houston(a football town) than Watt is right now. His face is VERY recognizable....which is rare for someone that plays with a helmet. I'm assuming this is just for people that live in the Houston area. If you think Houston is not a football city.....have they ever not sold out even one game after sucking ass for many many many years? I'm personally very excited for both teams. I am ready for any kind of football tomorrow! I'm also sooooo happy I already have Comcast so I don't have to go through the horror so many of you do with our Rox.