1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones arrested in Portland for stomping on homeless man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2therack, Jul 31, 2013.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Come on brah, we don't need to play the imagination game....

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/07/portland_police_accuse_nba_hou.html

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He's getting thrown to the back of the bus....if you know what I mean....

3. Arthurprescott2

Why is the charge harassment and not assault and battery?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is "harassment" not "assault." This is only a Class B Misdemeanor for "annoying" someone.

Compare this to had he been caught masturbating in public like our other (past) future superstar PF. Masturbating in public is a Class 1 Misdemeanor requiring you to register as a sex offender. Are NBA players even allowed to work if they are a registered sex offender?

thus...unequivocally

masturbating in public > stomping a homeless dude

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Replying to my own post....

Harassment looks to be very broad.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.065

166.065¹
    Harassment

(1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:

(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:

(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact; or

(B) Publicly insulting such other person by abusive words or gestures in a manner intended and likely to provoke a violent response;

(b) Subjects another to alarm by conveying a false report, known by the conveyor to be false, concerning death or serious physical injury to a person, which report reasonably would be expected to cause alarm; or

(c) Subjects another to alarm by conveying a telephonic, electronic or written threat to inflict serious physical injury on that person or to commit a felony involving the person or property of that person or any member of that persons family, which threat reasonably would be expected to cause alarm.

(2)(a) A person is criminally liable for harassment if the person knowingly permits any telephone or electronic device under the persons control to be used in violation of subsection (1) of this section.

(b) Harassment that is committed under the circumstances described in subsection (1)(c) of this section is committed in either the county in which the communication originated or the county in which the communication was received.

(3) Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, harassment is a Class A misdemeanor if a person violates:

(a) Subsection (1)(a)(A) of this section by subjecting another person to offensive physical contact and the offensive physical contact consists of touching the sexual or other intimate parts of the other person; or

(b) Subsection (1)(c) of this section and:

(A) The person has a previous conviction under subsection (1)(c) of this section and the victim of the current offense was the victim or a member of the family of the victim of the previous offense;

(B) At the time the offense was committed, the victim was protected by a stalking protective order, a restraining order as defined in ORS 24.190 (Foreign restraining orders) or any other court order prohibiting the person from contacting the victim;

(C) At the time the offense was committed, the person reasonably believed the victim to be under 18 years of age and more than three years younger than the person; or

(D)(i) The person conveyed a threat to kill the other person or any member of the family of the other person;

(ii) The person expressed the intent to carry out the threat; and

(iii) A reasonable person would believe that the threat was likely to be followed by action.

(5) As used in this section, electronic threat means a threat conveyed by electronic mail, the Internet, a telephone text message or any other transmission of information by wire, radio, optical cable, cellular system, electromagnetic system or other similar means. [1971 c.743 §223; 1981 c.468 §1; 1985 c.498 §1; 1987 c.806 §3; 1995 c.802 §1; 2001 c.870 §2; 2009 c.783 §1][

7. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I'm guessing the "stomp" wasn't really as violent as everyone is making it out to be. Or that there's not enough evidence to prove assault? I don't know. We'll just have to wait for more details to come out.

8. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

Thank You!

totally agree.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Please make sure you understand this as many do not...
    If you are religious, You are a good person!
    If you are a good person you live by God's Commandments.
    If live by God's Commandments you love God Above all things
    and all your neighbours as your self.
    Your neighbours are all sentient beings. Y :p

10. heypartner

It's not that broad. You're just reading this for the first time. It basically means you poked someone or verbally abused them...or threw a drink in their face. At worse, on first offense, you punched someone in the shoulder.

The worst cases involve continued harrassment...aka...stalking. And scaring someone into thinking the situation will escalate into action.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

From my quick internet research it looks like there is a pain threshold that marks the difference between harassment and assault.

For example, if I were to yell at you to wake up and then pushed you that would be harassment. If I yelled at you to wake up and then kicked you and caused you injury or pain that would be assault.

That's what I can gather.

12. heypartner

he stepped on someone intentionally and probably mouthed off to the police enough for them to take his PI'ed ass to jail.

case closed

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh geez here we go again

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After 27 pages, it finally became a Lin thread. :cool:

15. highlander3128

If TJ is that stupid as a person, he must not be very bright playing basketball.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If Jeremy Lin was there this never would have happened.

17. heypartner

nope. You are misinforming this thread based on your "quick internet research" of a layman.

harassment, at is core, is "annoying" someone. Most harassment has nothing to do with physical contact. The core definition of assault charges is physical contact.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you've made wise decisions your entire life.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I am not even a layman. I am sitting in my underwear post on the internet man.

But thanks for the clarification ;)

The thing that made me think different was because the first line in the definition of it mentioned physical contact.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with you that it's a bit odd, and one can only speculate on why he's not being charged with assault.