1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Folsom Prison Blues is about accepting the consequences of one's actions.

Well I know I had it coming. I know I can't be free.

The problem here is that gangsta rap glorifies a thug life and Trayvon Martin was a wannabe thug. Notice I did not call him a thug, but he was making some decisions that were bringing him in that direction.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all the whole line of questioning about rap is silly. Whites are the largest consumer of rap. So addressing it only to the black youth is silly.

Much of rap also talks about the consequences of one's actions so it isn't really different.

3. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I reckon for most white kids rap is pure fantasy - a chance to thumb their noses at middle class values from the safety of their suburban cul-de-sac - whereas for many black kids it resonates in a more meaningful way. At any rate, the music is just a larger part of pop culture that glorifies the thug life as the ultimate expression of black cultural norms.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't really think there was a problem with rap music, but if it makes people believe that it's the ultimate expression of black cultural norms that's kind of crazy.

I would suggest you do some integration and try and get to know some real black people so you don't believe that thug life is expression of black cultural norms.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Gangster rap is the late 90s early 00s. Those guys are dead or washed up now.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The things I am referencing are claims not facts. Thanks.

7. Lil Pun

So now you resort to their level to make claims that you cannot prove as well? Interesting.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Such as...

Or do you think that every critical thing ascribed to Trayvon is a "claim?"

9. Lil Pun

Claim, not fact and there is no way you can prove it so it will always be a claim. I've seen this one brought up the most so it is the one I am referencing.

Remember, I've stated that Martin was not a perfect person but neither was Zimmerman and you can't sit here and claim Martin was doing something (ex. buying Skittles and a drink to make a drug concoction) no more than you can claim Zimmerman was racist (ex. for trailing Martin) because you simply don't know. Either statement could very well be true but neither statement can be verified. This is something both sides need to recognize instead of throwing out claims as to what they think happened.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Ok...where is the evidence that was used to convict GZ? What the world saw was a prosectution team with a bunch of weak circumstancial evidence that wasn't even enough to put together a simple story line.

11. Granville

Granville Member

The problem with rap music is that is really isn't music since it doesn't require much vocal or instrument musical ability. Rap music is like comparing WWE wrestling to Olympic Wrestling when comparing rappers to musical artists who can sing or play an instrument at the highest levels.

Rappers are basically entertainers not musicians.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This post is highly entertaining. For the wrong reasons.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

lol...let me guess. "You can't spell rap with cRap! Mirite!? Guys?!"

I love the people that try to define what's music, they usually don't have a clue as to what is or isn't music in the first place.

14. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Yeah. As a pioneer, I was the first to point this out. Black culture is truly to blame for this fiasco - everything else is a waste of time to avoid working. It's the get rich quick ghetto life promoted by rap and black culture that causes the divide and aggression in low IQ individuals. It's unfortunate because before the 80's there was tons of classy music from black individuals like Motown, Sam Cooke, etc.

Yeah, I'll be honest. Rap is the lowest form of music. But someone has to cater to the lowest common denominator. You can't teach Mozart to a lizard, sometimes you just need to give it lizard music. It's not going to go away, but at the very least, you can educate the black youth that thinking before acting isn't a crime.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

You sound sheltered. I once visited a village in Sub Saharan Africa where the kids were banging on vessels and hitting tree's with no melody whatsoever. It was discombobulated noise. Now what if you gave them clean water, an education, and Sinatra. Or Julio Iglesias.

Would they be able to go back?

That's the issue here. Rap is the common man's crack, and inevitably, it's self destructive because it's very similar to preaching Islam to a bunch of tribal villagers. It's their gospel without enough information to assess what will and won't work in the grand scheme of things. But I guess for rap enthusiasts, money is a mjor issue, more likely the only issue, and "gettin ma hustle on" doesn't include following ethics, integrity or art. Just making noise, until you can afford not to.

1 person likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not going to argue with art ignorant people about this. It's pointless and stupid to argue about and it's not even the right thread to argue about it.

Even if it were the right thread to argue about it, it would be pointless and stupid to do so. So I'm not even going to debate on whether Rap is music or if it's good music or not. It's a time wasting discussion between most people, especially with someone that thinks it's bad music or isn't music at all.

Also...rap music costs as much as any other form of music...so not sure where you get that 'For Rap enthusiasts money is an issue' thing.

Also, I'm sure anyone would enjoy clean water and education, not sure what that has to do with rap music though..

As for rap music being self-destructive, then some of it is as self-destructive as movies, games, rock music, etc. The person that wants to hear rap music about shootings can listen to that, it's the same person that wants to watch mafia movies and play GTA. That's what that person chooses to define them.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I get your point but that particular point was not even news. There were other things on that piece that were novel.

Nevertheless, I think you have to be pretty biased not to marry Trayvon's snack choices to the screen shots about lean... but technically you are correct-- CLAIM.

18. Lil Pun

Who's talking about that? I agree and have agreed regarding the trial, check my posts. I'm saying both should quit laying out these claims that they cannot prove on either side. It's dumb.

19. Lil Pun

What other points were those?

Why do they have to be married? Sure, you can read into it what you'd like but if you want to do that with uncertainty, because there is absolutely no certainty in doing so, then shut up about other people making claims which are just as dumb as your own. Screenshots, lol!

20. Lil Pun

Lol! I'm going to start basing my assumptions of white culture off of Steel Panther, rock n roll and country music. It's funny how you guys lambaste people yet you sound like you're the ones who are uneducated although I don't know either way.