1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How decimated is the Rockets' front-office?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Yes we made great strides in getting DH12. However, our front office has been decimated this offseason. We not only lost Sam Hinkie - one of the most highly regarded basketball minds in business, but also Gersson Rosas and Arturas Karnisovas, our top two personnel assistants.

Yes we still have Daryl Morey at the helm, but it's like he lost his right hand and two legs. I have never seen a successful NBA front-office getting purged like this in a short period of time.

I remember San Antonio's front office has a similar fate, when successful assistants move on to become GMs of other teams. However, they won 4 championships in the meantime, so they have success to fall back on. We don't yet.

I don't think we will turn into the Oakland As, after Billy Beane turned money ball into a movement, and improve the league as a whole, then struggled for a decade after losing its competitive advantage. We have a great team and owner. However, it's very concerning that our front-office has been decimated like this without a championship yet.

2. smr6

smr6 Member

Morey is like a starfish, he will grow that right hand and two legs back in no time!

1 person likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As long as we don't lose the man himself, I'm not gonna worry. Morey will find himself some more minions (or at least engineer himself some new ones in the lab).

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We got Harden and D12 with Parsons coming up and all of our first round picks. If they were to leave I'm glad it's after we made our waves in free agency and via trades. Luck is awesome but Morey isn't stupid. He's got to have a TB of applications for recent MIT grads patiently waiting to become the next stat nerd under his tutoledge.

5. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Why should this even be a concern? Rockets have just finish building a legit contender. In my experience watching basketball, front offices don't win games, players do.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The saving grace is we don't really need much in the way of turnover any more, we have a very tight path to tread, as there's only a few players that we'll move on.

As for becoming Billy Beane, we're more likely to become the Red Sox, whereas Beane is trying to win titles with one of the cheapest rosters in baseball.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh grasshopper.

How many games do teams put together by bad front offices win?

But I do agree that this isn't a big concern now. If it had happened three years ago maybe, but now Morey has all the key pieces done so he has time to get people he trusts and that are good in place before he really needs to rely on people big time again.

Focus heavy on the next draft though. Really need to get solid contributors in the draft.

8. CertifiedTroll

Morrey quits job -> Kevin McHale is fired -> Michael Beasley becomes new head coach of Rockets.

See what happens with bad front office?

9. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The hardest part is over. Vets looking for a ring will flock to us, and as long as Morey and scouts can keep finding diamonds in the rough (both in the NBA, college, and international) that turn into NBA role players, we'll be just fine.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Don't forget

KKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNN

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Front offices and coaches lose games by not putting the right players in the right positions. Once in those positions, players win games.

Rockets still probably need a year of tweaking roster to fully be a contender.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

we might draft better from this point on.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Daryl has it covered. Relax!

[​IMG]

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I smell a potential photoshop here...

16. Raven

Raven Member

That's because Morey is the best GM in the NBA, and teams are trying to emulate his success. Everything will be fine. New execs will be hired or promoted within. There is no need to panic. We have Dwight and Harden, and the most difficult part of rebuilding is over.

17. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

Look no disrespect or anything. WE WANT TO BE A TITLE CONTENDING TEAM NOW!

18. Asian Sensation

Hire BimaThug and call it good.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

As long as we have Morey I think we are ok, he is really the one who everybody wants since they can't have him they have to settle for much less.

20. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Remember when Ric Bucher compared Daryl Morey to KAHN?

I demand an apology piece.