1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why will Dwight have a place in the great Houston legacy of centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Where will Howard rank in the fine Houston legacy of dominant centers? Impossible to tell. So why should Howard fit into the legacy of dominant Houston centers?

To answer that question we have to look at why is a center included on Houston's legacy of great centers? I think that it comes down to the priorities of an opponent when scheming for a game against Houston. Does a team have to react to where the center is on the court for every minute of the game? Both on offense and defense? You might ask why this is important. The more players an opponent has to account for on the floor the more difficult defensive rotations become. For example on defense how do you switch a SG onto Howard when it completely opens up any remotely accurate lob pass for a dunk?

So let us look at the Dreams impact on the other team. Did they absolutely have to know where he was on the court every moment when playing defense? Yes of course they did. Give him a decent entry pass and it was going to be a bucket for Houston. Give the Dream a path to the ball on a rebound and you were not going to get a rebound. Basically the opponent had to dedicate an agile quick body to the Dream at all times. And many times he required a double team.

On offense the opponent had to know where the Dream was positioned for any shot within 10-15 feet of the basket. If the shot went up from anywhere Hakeem could get to, the shot many times were either altered or blocked. A powerful impact on any teams offense.

I would contend that Yao had a lesser, but similar effect on opponents game plans. On both sides of the ball.

Enter Sir Dwight Howard. Does he fit in the same mold as Yao and the Dream? I would say yes. On defense it is obvious. Howard has more impact on his teams defense than any other player in the last decade. With his incredible mobility and vertical leap Howard is arguable better than Yao on defense and perhaps approaches the lofty pinnacle of Hakeem.

On offense Dwight poses some interesting questions. He certainly is not cut from the same cloth as Yao and the Dream, who both excelled in scoring off of the entry pass. Dwight excels in opportunity points. Lobs, small temporary passing lanes, offensive put backs. Different? Yes. Less effective? I believe no to any great degree.

Maybe I am an optimist but I view next seasons Howard as a top 3 player in the NBA. I have only to look at the last 6 weeks of the previous season to gauge his progress off injury recovery. Is any player in the NBA equivalent or better on both sides of the ball? I will give you LBJ. I do not believe that there is any one else.

Recommended reading: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=242086

2. Cobalt

Cobalt Member

I can see the " Seriously, another thread?" coming soon, but Howard definitely has to improve a lot on offense to catch up to Yao and Hakeem.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd place him third right now behind Moses and Hakeem. I love Yao. Always will, but Howard has achieved so much more in his career at this point and will continue to achieve even more. Sampson and Yao negate each other with slight edge going to Yao.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

A lot of people like to mention how Dwight isn't as good as Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq, or other great bigs.. but he doesn't need to be. His level of competition at the center position is much lighter than the other greats, allowing him to flourish and dominate.

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

My point being; Dwight doesn't have to be as good as those players because he's still better than the centers he's playing against

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Too early to tell, too much either will or won't happen.

He certainly has been set by the ticket sellers to be one of.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Are ticket sales way up?

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...on-ticket-sales-getting-big-bump-with-howard/

9. CertifiedTroll

Can we at least wait for the first game before knee jerk?

1 person likes this.
  10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Only if you have not proved yourself in industry as a great data analyst using predictive forest level statistical algorithms to predict future responses to defined inputs into a controlled population.

So no.

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

because he will win a championship. yao, battier, artest, etc. should have won one. damn basketball gods and punishing us for the steve francis debacle.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

It will be interesting to see how he is viewed considering he was basically trashed and in every Yao Ming vs. Dwight Howard debate on this board prior to arriving to Houston

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I hear ya man. That team had heart and guts and if it wasnt for those Damm injuries to Yao n dikembe we'd probably have another banner hanging in TC.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Will he be as good as Yao? I hope not, because if he isn't significantly better than Yao, we're not winning anything.

15. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Because Howard is 6'9 and can't shoot a lick.

Dream and Yao were both 7'+ and great shooters.

16. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I don't think dream was 7'+, he was more like 6'10"+.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's wait and see. I just want him to practice free throws like crazy during the summer.

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, not even close. Dwight has not achieved jack **** with the Houston Rockets.

19. albuster

albuster Member

Can we be as sensible as this post? Kudos to the poster for pointing out the need for some sanity here.

20. CertifiedTroll

Hmm, that might be a tiny bit off of what I do. Just work in life insurance. What I can tell you is that you will live 10 more years.. With a variance of 1000000000000000. Still think you can question me??