1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

No, you're cherry picking stats without putting things into context. That's what you were trying to do until I called you on it.

2. HoopScribe

HoopScribe Member

Terrific read. I especially like how it brought up how the pick-and-roll can create defensive mismatches for Dwight to take advantage of in the post. I'd be surprised if the play isn't run half the time for the Rockets next year opposed to just a quarter of the time.

3. Madclownpacasum

Goran Dragic fits well in the Harden-Howard pick and roll with a better 3pt percentage than Lin.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He actually shot a worst % than him last season but yeah I wouldn't mind Gogi.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So I would like to point out something that seems obvious to me but somehow has been overlooked by the members of the Lin vs Harden pnr debate.

Lin has pnr stats last year = he ran the pnr last year.
    Harden has pnr stats last year = he ran the pnr last year.

Both players will run the pnr next year and be better than last year because we have DWIGHT freakin HOWARD as the roller.

oh... Harden is better at everything basketball related than Lin including the pnr and 3 point shooting, but Lin is pretty good.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guess Dragic was not a Houstonian.

7. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

A little off topic, but how was Beverley in pnr last year? I'm assuming hell run a good amount of it this year too.

8. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Probably not fair since he's developed in the last few years, but according to nba scouts prior to the 2009 draft -

Weaknesses: Plays with a scorer’s mentality and does not have the natural playmaking ability that a player at 6’1 must have … In the pick and roll he struggles reading the action and making the plays when the defense rotates … Struggles finishing over bigger help defenders … His light frame makes it difficult for him to attack stronger guards and it also gives him trouble defending because he gets bodied out of position …

9. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

So right now the top 3 forum posts are a post about Aaron Brooks signing, the Harden-Howard PnR, and a Lin thread... and somehow all 3 have become Lin threads. Make it stop.

10. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

:grin:That is a interesting summary

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We can't help it, Jlin is the man and the key to our championship aspirations. Will he or won't he finish games in the 4th Qtr or OT. I'd down with whoever gets us to the NBA championship regardless of pay. I'm a convert. LOVE THE ROCKETS!!! hate the haters!!

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

Relax, it won't be just Harden running P&Rs Lin fans. Lin will be running some, and so will Parsons (although less than Lin or Harden). Just having Harden run P&Rs will become too predictable and will decrease his efficiency, even McHale knows.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I liked the Lin / Harden PNR last year. It was quite effective at times. But if they can get the ball to Dwight rolling to the basket then LOOKOUT below! If I was the help defender under the basket I'd just clear out because nothing good is gonna come out from challenging Dwight when he's got momentum moving toward the basket.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

You said this :

"there is NO excuse for a starting PG to shoot 33% from 3pt land on a contending team."

I was just providing some examples of pgs that are "good" (Magic,CP3 last year, Isiah, Rondo, Linsanity-level Jlin) to counter that such a barometer can be fallacious.

15. langal

langal Contributing Member

NO WAY. On this board we only deal with absolutes. Lin either only stands in the corner or Harden only spots up. Full 48 minutes a game. To even suggest otherwise means you are not a real fan, a racist, or just some Lin fanboy!

You also better be damn careful if you mention 2 players in one sentence!!

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

we dont need more mods, we need less douchenozzles with the ability to post.:mad:

I keep saying till Im blue in the face, the more you guys respond with crap like you have been in this thread, the more work you create for the mods that are here.

Eventually we are gonna end up going postal on BOTH sides. Keep up the replies like you have here, and it will happen sooner rather than later.

17. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

True, this is the real insanity

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

i'm not a Lin fan. i think he is clearly overrated by fanboys. but give it up when you need to. i don't need stupid figures -- you watch the game, and you know certain facts.

i never said Harden isn't better than Lin on PNR, but why should we just totally forget about Lin's capabilities? do you know WHY i was upset about Linsanity? it's because Lin experienced all the fame and glory due to fanboys and racists rather than giving due credit to Tyson Chandler, who clearly was a big contributor to the Mav's championship in 2011 and Linsanity. not to mention the incredible efficiency numbers from all the other Knicks during the "Linsanity"

Lin has a proven track-record of being able to utilize the PNR very effectively. like i said, i'm not saying Harden isn't better or worse than Lin, but Lin should also be considered for PNR because that is one of the biggest ways he can contribute to the team. ESP with D12.

19. Dedicatedrocket

AHhhh i cant WAIT!

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

no

I am sure you knew this but forgot to mention it but one of the main things that makes Harden so efficient at scoring is he draws the fouls so him getting to the basket from the PnR means more points then someone who does not get the FT's. Well that and Harden usually finishes and gets the basket anyway. This is a increase in scoring that others don't make usually.