1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Yeah, basically if one ever sees a black person acting suspiciously, just let it go. Don't call police unless you want to be branded a racist for the rest of your life.

2. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Honestly, it doesn't matter what our society does to close the gap...we can pay reparations, free every black man from prison, elect only black presidents but it won't solve the underlying problem. And none of this will change the fact that black people's great great great grandparents were slaves. And for that reason they will always have that race card and no doubt they will use it.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If GZ just called the police and left it at that then none of this happens.

Wow, maybe we can start with just making sure that the Criminal Justice System works for us as well.

I guess for some people that's just too much to ask for.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely would call the police- even if it was a young white guy. BUT I WOULDN'T GET OUT OF THE CAR AND FOLLOW HIM.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He was found not guilty, you're right. Now is this line of discussion continuing because you've convicted him in your own mind? Not enough evidence to convict in a court of law, but let's try his ass in the court of public opinion until he's found guilty?

If the system is faulty and prejudiced shouldn't the focus of the Martin/Zimmerman discussion turn to these inequalities?

6. treeman

treeman Member

Threatening someone with violence is a crime. It's called making a terroristic threat. Calling someone a name is not a threat. Following someone does not imply violence in and of itself, and it does not justify a violent response. No court in this land will agree with you on that.

As for your pepperspray example, you are exactly wrong about that. I know that because in my last civilian job I ran across just such a case. Trust me, you need more to go on than that.

7. treeman

treeman Member

I am not going to deny that. It is true, and it is something I'd like to see addressed. I am not exactly sure how you think that rioting or threatening violence is going to address that, though. It can only be addressed through education, better hiring practices, holding government representatives accountable, etc.

Then you agree that this was not a racially motivated act on Zimmerman's part? Well, that would be progress, I suppose... But just because someone involved in a case is a minority doesn't mean the case has "racial issues". The only "racial issues" are the ones brought into it by people such as yourself who want to make everything about race.

Er, when did I say racism didn't exist? I am pretty sure that's not what I said. I said that it's not as prevalent as you think it is. It isn't.

It is also entirely possible that Zimmerman is a Russian spy sent to create internal strife

Yet he was POSITIVE that he was up to something wrong. Cry about it all you want but you have his own attorney saying that he believes that it was possible. I don't know what else I can say about that.

Do we have a poll on that? Otherwise I can say that I've seen plenty of white people complaining about this case too. In fact the only ones I've seen saying it's not about race are the ones on fox news, every where else I look and every other forum I see it seems it's not so black and white as you want to make it seem.

You'd sure like to believe that huh. The fact of the matter is, some people love to sweep it under the rug because they are fine with how it is and they don't want their issues being talked about...

Well you seem to think your opinion goes for every other white person :rolleyes:

There is little chance that it's not true. The stats back me up on this, black people are more likely to be charged period.

Yeah blow it out of proportion :rolleyes:

Sorry I guess I should just lay down and accept the unfairness of the Criminal Justice System

:rolleyes:

Lol, Jackson and Sharpton just bring it out to the rest of the world guy. Although they are not MLK, it's not odd to find that there are people making them out to be the boogeyman instead of wondering if perhaps what they've been saying is true.

Makes no difference, Jackson is saying the same thing Zimmerman's own attorney is saying, what Gingrich said, but he's the boogeyman here out for profit.

Stats back it up my man. So I'm being very honest about it.

Also, you are speaking for your entire race again.[/QUOTE]

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

There will be a segment of the population that will never believe the criminal justice system is fair regardless of what we do going forward as a society.

Meanwhile, cable news networks are loving how they have divided this country between black and white. That's how they make their money...that's how race baiters make their money. The fact that a civil rights case and federal witch hunt is being made out of this case is just down right troubling to me.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sure, he should get all of that. Public opinion shouldn't be on his side and I have no sympathy for a guy who killed a teen. So I expect him to live with that hate for the rest of his life. Oh well, there are heavy consequences when you kill someone even if it wasn't intentional.

It has though.

10. NotInMyHouse

Additional opinions popping up.

Bill Cosby

Larry Elder

Charles Barkley

11. NotInMyHouse

Hate on him all you want, I don't care, but the trial is over and we should moved beyond GZ and concentrate on these other inequalities. Retrying the case on here doesn't help anything. Exposing inequalities in the justice system is how to honor and respect Trayvon's memory, IMO.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I don't know whose threatening violence or rioting. I never said that the answer was rioting or threatening violence :confused:

I don't want to make everything about race, but I'm not going to ignore it.

I don't think GZ went out to go kill a black teen. I think he bought into this stereotype that he WAS a thug and up to no good. Even how he speaks to the police he seems very convinced that Trayvon just was out and about being a thug. He profiled Trayvon as a criminal...what made him profile Trayvon as a criminal?

Again GZ claim is that Trayvon was looking at houses or walking suspiciously...what is that? No one else noticed that? Trayvon had a history of robbing houses? Why believe that with certainty?

It's entirely possible that once Trayvon realized some strange guy was following him that he would then take a alternate path.

Apparently with the numbers that are always released it seems to be pretty prevalent.

13. treeman

treeman Member

Dammit, hit wrong key...

I am not going to deny that. It is true, and it is something I'd like to see addressed. I am not exactly sure how you think that rioting or threatening violence is going to address that, though. It can only be addressed through education, better hiring practices, holding government representatives accountable, etc.

Then you agree that this was not a racially motivated act on Zimmerman's part? Well, that would be progress, I suppose... But just because someone involved in a case is a minority doesn't mean the case has "racial issues". The only "racial issues" are the ones brought into it by people such as yourself who want to make everything about race.

Er, when did I say racism didn't exist? I am pretty sure that's not what I said. I said that it's not as prevalent as you think it is. It isn't.

It is also entirely possible that Zimmerman is a Russian spy sent to create internal strife, but it's not likely. Judging from the 911 recording the fact that Martin was black seemed an afterthought to Zimmerman. Martin's clothes and yes, race, matched the description of suspects in several recent burglaries in the area, but it would seem that Martin's odd behavior was what really piqued Zimmerman's suspicion.

So while possible, you're speculating.

He felt something was off in the situation. Martin's reported behavior was odd. He was a neighborhood watch man, was he supposed to just ignore it?

Here are a couple of polls on the issue:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/july_2013/48_agree_with_zimmerman_verdict_34_disagree

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/july_2013/21_think_justice_department_should_charge_zimmerman_with_a_hate_crime

This is all we've got for now. You have to be a subscriber to get to the crosstabs where they do the racial breakdowns, but you can pretty much figure it out by looking at the topline numbers. Suffice it to say that the majority of the country does not agree with you about this.

What, do you actually trust the media? They are the ones that stirred this pot into the *****storm that it is now. They WANT you people out in the streets, no matter the reason. They need something to cover.

Again, you are simply obsessed with race and see a boogeyman under every rock. It borders on paranoia.

Seriously, the VAST majority of people don't care about this like you do and they don't think of race in terms like you do. It's not "sweeping it under the rug", they simply don't think like that and don't really care. Personally I couldn't care less what race someone is. Good people and bad people come in all colors. One of my best friends is black and we have spoken about this with me, and he agrees with me that as long as this is the primary focus of the black community they are never going to be able to look inward and take responsibility for their own failures.

It's much easier to blame other people for your problems.

Of course not. I know there are rotten apples out there. But they are a distinct and tiny minority, not the majority that you seem to think.

Oh, so you have stats now on what is happening in alternate universes? :rolleyes:

You do blow it out of proportion. And as I said several times if you want to go about changing the system this ain't the way to do it. You can't do it without our assistance.

Jackson and Sharpton have made careers - and a lot of money - off of race-baiting. You're a sap if you fall for their schtick. They are extortionists who care nothing for actual truth. Does the name Tawana Brawley ring a bell?

And again, I didn't say it wasn't a problem. But the racism that you think exists within the white community simply isn't there at the level that you think it is. As long as you come at with the assumption that racism is widespread among whites you are only going to push those who would otherwise be sympathetic away.

You really can't do it without us, and the behavior we've seen during this episode is really annoying the crap out of us. You are doing far more damage to your cause than you think.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're right. Just like there will be a segment of the population that will hate black people no matter what.

Look, this isn't about black people vs white people. I've not seen protest against white people are any animosity towards white people. Just how this country works for us.

That's exactly what has been happening though.

I've never been about retrying the case, I've said before that there was not enough evidence to convict Zimmerman. I just disagree that this case has no racial components to it.

15. NotInMyHouse

That's fair, though, I have to agree with the Barkley statement I posted above. Whatever racial component they may or may not be the media immediately tainted the discussion. They hyped it up and made it a ratings killer ($$$). We can't have an honest discussion about that night because of the behavior of the media. The majority of America has been misled by sound bites and doctored recordings.

16. treeman

treeman Member

No not you personally, but your side in this argument. Sharpton and Jackson were certainly threatening wink-wink violence, and what exactly do you think a "No justice, no peace" sign is trying to communicate, anyway?

So far race is the only aspect of this case I've seen you discuss, so forgive me if I think you're making everything about race. This case is absolutely NOT about race, yet you and your side are desperately trying to make it so.

That's progress, I suppose.

Well, to be fair, Martin actually was pretty much a thug (fighting, drugs, stolen stuff in his backpack, fabulous Facebook posts, etc), but I will give you that that particular night there is no evidence he was doing anything wrong.

As for what made Zimmerman profile him as a *possible* criminal, do I really need to keep typing this? It was a combination of factors - his attire, yes-his race, and mostly his odd behavior. But in truth Martin matched the description of several suspects who had been plaguing the neighborhood lately. THAT is the real reason. Martin wasn't a resident, and when a neighborhood watch guy sees a stranger who matches the description of people who have been breaking into houses, WTF is he supposed to do? OF COURSE he is going to be suspicious under those circumstances.

Stop saying it was just the racial aspect, there are several factors - legitimate factors - that led to his suspicion.

What are you talking about? A nomal [person is not going to take undue interest in other people's houses while talking on a phone. That *is* odd behavior. And why would anyone else notice it? As if everyone was supposed to be staring out their windows on that rainy night looking for it? Martin WAS caught with stolen goods in his backpack at school, BTW. Not that Zimmerman would have known that, of course.

Just as Zimmerman should have stayed in the vehicle, Martin should have run if he was actually afraid. That would have been the smart thing to do. Hindsight is 20/20.

What a load of BS. Show me some numbers that prove that white people are racist (because that's what you really mean). You have no such numbers.

17. treeman

treeman Member

And by "dinosaurs" you mean white people like me, I assume? Nice. :rolleyes:

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The tone and context are as important as what's actually said. Case in point: you're a smart guy...

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No, that's not it at all. Call the cops, let them handle it. What you're not supposed to do is pretend you're Batman.

20. ILoveWhiteGirls

Zimmerman did call 911?