1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers GM and Aldridge camp met to discuss trade scenarios

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 18, 2013.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Exactly. I think Morey will wait this out as long as it takes to have leverage. If LMA really wants to play in Houston like it has been rumored and makes it clear he would only sign long term if traded to Houston then Morey has all the leverage in the world. Nobody will throw talent at them for a 1-2 year rental.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This and this.

You guys have been spending too much time on that ESPN Trade Machine this summer.

3. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Patience is a virtue. Morey is not going to jump into any deals. If the right deal comes along aka the Harden trade, then Morey will strike, but until then he's just chilling and waiting.

4. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Portland drafted CJ McCollum. They definitely don't need Lin and Bev.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Omer for Aldridge straight up.

6. Jah

Jah Member

I question some of the fans here. Parsons is expendable! You have, arguably, the best PF in the game in LaMarcus Aldridge and some of you rather pass him over to keep a role player in C.Parsons??? Please!

Look at it another way. Right now, our best players are Harden, Howard and Parsons. Let's say (knock on wood) Harden suffers a concussion (to avoid jinxing our boys) and is out for a few games. Your two best players is then Howard and Parsons. That duo isn't going anywhere!

Parsons cannot create enough to keep the offense fluid nor does he make anyone around him better. He's simply a role player that can easily be replaced. If you don't be believe this, look at his numbers this years and see how he got his shots off. Harden made Parsons better by the defense focusing on Harden; freeing up Parsons to hit open 3 or paths to the basket.

Now with LaMarcus on aboard, if Harden suffers a concussion, we're still in excellent shape because of Howard and LMA. LMA being a stretch 4 type compliments Howard as an interior force.

Let's say Howard suffers a concussion. Your duo is then Harden and Parsons.....and if Asik is traded, we are then just an average team and can lose a number of games because Parsons is simply not that type of player to be as consistent as Harden is a scorer. He's not a glue guy either. His defense sunk last season as he thinks he's on the same level as Harden now. Smh.

However, with LaMarcus and Harden, we're still in excellent shape as Aldridge can man the Center spot and Harden do what he did and run pick and rolls with LMA. We wouldn't drop off, offensively, one bit. Now, let's say Parsons suffers a concussion. Our duo is Harden and Howard. That's legit. We can still compete with most teams and go far.

So, anyway you look at it, Parsons is always the odd man out and expendable......I mean, Rob Covington can easily spell Parsons and then some. Just saying! That's how easy Parsons can be replaced.

Now, if we have a Big 3 of Harden, Howard and Aldridge, and if anyone suffers a concussion and is out a few gamez, we will NOT be hurting at all since we'll still have two Superstars to hold it down. We don't have that with Parsons as that 3rd star players. Again, Parsons is a ROLE PLAYER, folks. A role player!

I understand why certain fans want to keep him, though. It's the same fans that would also rather habe K.Love or Ryan Anderson......or see DMO develope into a solid 4. I know these type of fans do not habe the Rockets best interest at heart. With those fans, it's a "certain identity" they want to see in our starting 5 and that's what irk me and the rest of the Rockets fans/Red Nation.

If Portland is will to give us LaMarcus Aldridge, we should be happily and ready to give them:

Asik
    Parsons
    and DMO

......let them have them!

7. ashiin

ashiin Member

If only

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Smh@some of you idiots saying you wouldn't trade Parsons for LMA. These are the fools that you HATE debating basketball with because they really don't knw anything but swear they do. Aldridge is about the best option as a stretch for. Plus he can occasionally post up, rebound & block shots.

LMA>Parsons

Y'all seriously need to watch basketball outside of Rockets

9. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

OKC offered harden to golden state and washington before the rockets. harden was not an all star until he joined the rockets. nobody, even morey, expected harden to be as good as he was last year

10. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

:rolleyes:

I never said I wouldn't trade Parsons for Aldridge. I just don't think it's realistic. If we avoided giving Smith a large amount of money to save it for Parsons then what makes you think that we wouldn't do everything we could to try to keep him? He's obviously the most valued player by our management besides Howard/Harden and for good reason.

It's almost to the point that we may be giving up too much for LMA when we don't have to. He's going to want out soon enough and it'll be to the point that it wont take as much to get him here than it would right now.

CP(restricted) and LMA (unrestricted) are both going to be free agents after the 2014-2015 season. Why would we give up Parsons, who we would have a really good chance to resign by just matching what someone else offers him for LMA who is going to want more money that we may not even be able to afford? By giving up Parsons, you risk losing both players later on down the road when by keeping Parsons, you give yourself a really good chance to resign at least one of them.

You seriously need to watch more basketball besides 2K13.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I did ;) Knew it all along.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

And Toronto (they wanted Valanciunas), and I'm assuming Charlotte as well, since there were rumors floating around about Harden for the 2nd.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In a vacuum yes, you would trade Parsons for Aldridge.

You are lost, however, when it comes to long term team building, salary cap management and how to manipulate a situation into the best possible outcome for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I really doubt that an Aldridge to Houston trade goes down any time soon for the following reasons:

1. Portland (with owner Paul Allen) is not acting or talking like a rebuilding team ready to "blow it up."

All the local media reports and interviews with Portland GM and coach indicate that they thought last year's starters performed well but their bench sucked (which was reflected in the numbers) and that they think they've improved their depth with the acquisition of Dorell Wright, McCollum, Thomas Robinson, Earl Watson and Robin Lopez (they did lose JJ Hickson, but then some of their 2012 rookie bigs should be better). And they have Damian Lillard, Nic Batum and Wes Matthews. Kind of too much talent to really out-tank the worst teams in the league in a year.

2. Portland has always preferred trying to "patch it up" than to "blow it up."

It's just how Paul Allen is. It took him years to finally give up on the Zach Randolph-Darius Miles era Jailblazers. When Oden and Roy are lost, they brought in Camby, Gerald Wallace and Matthews to run for the playoffs instead of starting over-- GM Rich Cho was fired for advocating a total rebuild.

3. So, it makes sense that the trades Portland explored were not for draft picks in "rebuilding" transactions, but for bigger name guys like Love, Horford, Noah, etc. The only young name among them was Anthony Davis. The Rockets won't be willing to offer anyone at that level of value or higher (i.e. Dwight Howard and James Harden) and Portland isn't trading Aldridge right now for any less.

Portland looks to be in the same mode that Morey is in with Asik: I'm holding onto my guy until somebody offers me what I think is full value for him.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^They will eventually come around to realize that they can't get equal value back (1 for 1). A package of Asik, T Jones (assuming he shows what we think he can be), 2014/2016 first rounders should be enough for them.

I'll be rooting against Portland more than ever. The sooner they realize that it's tank time, the better.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They aren't going to be able to tank with the roster they have, even if they dump Aldridge. They'll still be competitive enough.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You seriously need to back away from the computer.

No kidding, LMA is better than Parsons. I'm a UT alum that watched Aldridge play in college and the pros. I would love to have him. But the Rockets can get a good power forward without dealing Parsons, and Chandler plus that guy is better than LMA and a waiver wire fill in small forward. Also Chandler was instrumental in getting Dwight here, and how do we reward him? By trading him away as the team is set to contend.

Parsons is a really, really good basketball player too. He does almost everything well on the court. He's not just a run of the mill NBA small forward. He will flirt with all-star games through his career, and he showed he steps up when the lights are brightest vs OKC.

1 person likes this.
  18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Aldridge just tweeted he has been in Dallas for the last 2 weeks and stuff is made up

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We are not giving up Parsons or his contract....

That said, this is realistically what we have available for trade...

Asik,
    TJones or DMo,
    Bev or Canaan OR ship Lin to third team (and forward proceed to Portland)
    European prospects (Lull, pap, etc...)
    whatever cash we have left in cash cap after paying to get rid of Royce, to help
    Asiks poison pill last year payout...
    2014 and 2016 first rd pick (with this squad, figure they wont be good)
    2015 and 2016 2nd rd picks,
    NY 2nd rd picks 2014 and 2015
    2 2nd rd pix from Portland
    conditional 2015 2nd rd pick from Clippers...

That should provide MORE than equal return...

Obviously, you try to hold back as much as you can...

Personally, I think including every draft pick we own (except 2015 1st) is too much to include... but becoming THE spot for vet min fa chasing a ring - kinda offsets it....

Too much... but for D12/LMA/Parsons/Harden/lin or Bev... if you gotta, you make the all in bet...

20. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

do it!!! assuming Asik and Parsons are dealt

imagine our starting lineup

1st option Dwight

2nd option LA

3rd option Harden

4th option Lin

They can all score 30 points on any given night

5th option can have Francisco Garcia play a Battier type role