1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Cinema] Spike Lee's 'Oldboy'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 10, 2013.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I know, not slighting you. I am aware that's what the filmmakers are claiming but it's so blatantly obvious they're just cheaply imitating the feel of the original film and are probably switching out some plot elements so they can claim they are adapting the manga instead. It's the oldest trick in the book :rolleyes:.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Totally agree with you, seen too many remake like that. I always prefer the original foreign film in the end.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I thought The Departed was way better than Infernal Affairs, but that's just me.

4. 713

713 Member

The guy from District 9 is playing the "bad guy"

but question about the original

Weren't Dae Sau and Leewoo suppose to be around the same age since they went to school together?

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is blatant plagiarism.

Disgraceful.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Departed, too much action, not enough soul. Best part of infernal affairs was that Andy Lee actually became a like-able person who wants to become "good" but had this bad past with him. Mark Walberg just didn't come across, infact you still rooted against him.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree to disagree. Scorsese's Departed was a MUCH better film, in my opinion.

8. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

When the same story can be told in 3/5 the amount of time, 99% of the time the shorter version will be the better version. The Departed unfortunately does not belong in that 1%.

Also, Marky Mark's character totally changes the central theme of the movie. 1. When the dude is thrown off the roof top, that was the last person in the police force who knew the good cop is undercover, so his lifeline back to the world of light was totally lost (but the existence of Marky Mark in The Departed destroys that element). 2. Marky Mark killing the bad cop at the end ruins theme about conscience (in the HK version, bad cop lives and speaks at good cop's funeral, but all that time thinking he wish he were the good cop instead of being bad an living in fear).

Now as to Old Boy-

I thought incest was the central theme, but there is something very uniquely Korean about the topic. I guess it's a more powerful psychological thing when everyone has the same last name, though Vietnamese don't seem to have the same hang up for some reason. I guess it's yet another example of Hollywood's wanton disregard for the spirit of the source material.

9. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Matt Damon was Andy Lau, not Marky Mark. :confused:

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What are you talking about?

11. ILoveWhiteGirls

Can we all agree that Michael Imperrieoli is finally in a Hollywood movie??? I love this guy, yes love the original but come on, I'm curious to see Spike's version of Oldboy.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What's funny is that Scorsese doesn't even consider The Departed to be one of his best films or even 2nd tier Scorsese good. He has pretty much admitted that it was a paycheck job for him.

I think you can tell that he's just going through the motions in that one. It's soulless in this respect.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

Pretty cool to see it with an American twist

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes its like that. Qt is fairly good at it at least

Lets see if spike can do the same

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I JUST watched the Korean version last month. Had heard nothing about it and loved it...right up until the end.

Shiver.

That said, what's the point of the movie if they change THAT aspect of the ending?

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Old Boy is one of the best movies of the 2000's. I am leery of this re-make.

17. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

"American Twist" = Change all the Asian characters into white characters because white men typically can't stand seeing Asian men in lead roles and can't stand watching dubbed movies or subtitles.

I wonder how Asians are able to cope...

18. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Ewww...gross. Asian men in lead roles?

Go post that garbage in the D&D.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Better luck tomorrow

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Better luck tomorrow was more than 10 years ago and an indie film. Mentioning it as a movie with Asian male leads falls under "some of my best friends are black" status.

Scorcese's twist at the end totally ruined what made the original IA great. He also killed any chance of a sequel, so maybe it's fitting then.