1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Healthy Dine-Ins?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by <3myrockets, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You can always just go into Whole Foods, walk around like you're shopping and taste every free sample they have and get pretty full. My wife's studio is by the one on Waugh and she does this just because she's bored in between clients.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

FYI- it should open this fall in the Galleria area

3. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

Orrr you can actually buy some food. Salad bar, hot food bar, burritos, sushi, soups... I eat here probably 2/week. I get a little Lunchable looking thing that has cubed turkey breast, Colby cheese, crackers, and grapes. Awesome.

4. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Interesting I didn't know this many people disliked JJ's...maybe I have a completely different palette altogether. Anyway I do agree Whole Foods has a great selection at their food bar. It's been a while for me but I do remember good things from the last time I went.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jimmy Johns, Quiznos, Subway? Not healthy, depending on what you get. If you go to Subway get a footlong with a bunch of cheese and mayo with white bread then it is no healthier than going to McDonalds and getting a McGangbang. (I'm exaggerating, but you get my point. If you really want to eat healthy then go to Subway, get a six-inch, no mayo/sauce, no cheese, wheat bread)

Not very many people are willing to actually eat healthy when going to these healthy places.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Cici's pizzas salad bar ftw

7. <3myrockets

True. I occasionally go to Sweet Tomatoes and I see a lot of unhealthy people thinking they're eating healthier by loading up on salad (with a ton of dressing mind you), getting two cups of soup, a plate of pasta and of course topped off with a sundae.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Depends on what you mean by healthy.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

The new McDonald's ham/egg white/english muffin sandwich is actually pretty healthy... only 250 calories.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think they know. They're just eating what they want. Then again, people are stupid as ****.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Snap Kitchen, Zoe's Kitchen

12. <3myrockets

lol then again I'm no better when I throw a bunch of beers down the hatch

13. plates300

plates300 Member

subway is hardly considered healthy. yes, the calories may be low, but look at all the other stuff in it, especially the bread. It has a ton of salt in it. The flat bread there has even more salt content than the regular bread. Totally defeats the purpose of eating "healthy."

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

There is Red Pepper on westheimer near Chimney Rock which is pretty clean eating. Some else mentioned salata earlier and that one is great.

15. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

Salata is very good. Everything I've had at Zoe's seemed to have a little too much salt to me, but I just might be sensitive. For sandwiches, I like Brown Bag Deli -- Turkey on sliced wheat, lettuce, tomato, and pickles (no mayo, no mustard). $6 and I get two meals out of it. I only eat half since they pile on the turkey.

16. Buck Turgidson

Central Market & Whole Foods are always good.

Don't know which of these places are still open, I'm only in Houston infrequently:

Hobbit Cafe
    Ziggy's Healthy Grill
    Hungry's
    Sunshine's Deli

You can eat well at just about any restaurant, provided you order carefully.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That is why you get wheat and not white or flatbread.
    Honestly there are two types of healthy eating.

One is to minimize calories, maximize protein and/or dietary fiber and forgo everything else. These people can enjoy their food a bit more since calories in / calories out is the only thing they have to worry about. On top of weight training and frequent cardiovascular activity these people have a very lax diet, relative to the other type of healthy eaters. (This is me.)

The other is looking at ACTUAL health value of the products they consume. Exercise or not its not simply about weight control for these people. Its a concentration on longterm health.

So while I won't be gaining copious amounts of weight with the stuff I'm eating, I'm probably not going to have good internal health in the future. :p (I am merely looking at calories and carbs/fat/protein ; maximizing my intake of protein and complex carbs)

#37 RedRedemption, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  18. platypus

platypus Member

Go to the Loving Hut, Great food!

19. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Hobbit cafe has some good healthy choices.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Slimy lunch meat generally grosses me out these days.

I'd say Freebirds, Chipotle, Panera all have good options.