1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] First Take on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 713, Jul 9, 2013.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That 2nd video that he states twice that Dwight Howard is as good as he will ever be. Man I hope he watches that on a loop for a while. That should piss off and motivate just about anybody.

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It's very funny to me too. Harden and Howard both came to Houston because they didn't want to take a back seat to another superstar. The easy way would've been to take the big contract and stay in LA and take the back seat to Kobe, Nash and Pau (or Durant and Westbrook in the case of Harden). So this idea that he's shying away from the "big stage" is BS. No city is the "big stage", the big stage is the NBA finals. Howard made the decision that brought him closer to the big stage.

3. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

SAS supports the CAA and anything that makes NY/melo look better he'll go for it.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

She just hosts, never seems to really give her opinion unless it's a more serious issue.

With that said...look at how she looks at SAS when Skip goes. "He's not Kobe." about Harden and SAS said "He could be!" her head snapped so fast she gave SAS a "What the **** you just say?"

SAS is right though on most of his points, not sure why so many people hate on him. He usually is spot on with his NBA stuff, seems to have legit sources, and gives some of the best interviews for ESPN I've seen in a while.

And although he's a NYC guy, you don't get the blind homerism with him that you do with say Plaschke or Adande or any other guy. He'll be the first guy to bash on the Knicks, Yankees, or Giants

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of Laker butt hurt going on. Buss has been messing up that franchise for a while. I find it entertaining that everyone is now forgetting how narcissistic Bryant is and his utter lack of social skills. I make this point having followed Kobe's career since he came in the league.

I think Howard has waited too long to develop his post game. And that criticism is warranted. But it isn't too late. Players, especially great players, evolve their games as they get older. If Howard is willing to put in the work, he can very well develop and primary and counter move this season. He wil never be as fluid as The Dream (who has perfect body proportions for his size). But he can at least develop some mechanical fundamentals that will go a long way for him. Kobe and Lebron took Olajuwon to heart, if Howard does the same, he will be fine.

Anyway it goes, I remember Barkeley and other greats saying that rebounding was about heart, desire, and then some skill. So what does that say about Howard?

Howard just made, perhaps, the first mature, grown up decision of his professional career. He shunned the non-basketball stuff, that was all LA had to offer, so he could win and develop as a player. I look forward to what McHale does with him.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Due yourselves a favor and skip skips skit....mouthfull!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It pains me to say it, it really does, but I agree with Stephen A. Smith. I also find it very interesting that none of the former Lakers spouting off about how "Dwight can't handle the spotlight of a big city, LA, so he went to "a little city" and (most absurd) "Dwight can't improve. This is it," which is what Kareem said in so many words, none of them came out with this when Howard was playing for them. And as Smith pointed out, not a word about Baby Buss making the Lakers look rediculous, and ruining the team in the process. What a load of BS. If it'd fit in a dump truck, you could fertilize Zilker Park with it and have enough left over to give Shaq a nice bed to sleep on.

Just absurd. I think I need to get my tickets early for the Lakers game in Houston. Oh, yeah. It's gonna be LOUD.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That's exactly why they added her. Ole Sexiness dont know sh** about any sports.. LOL

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Dwight has so much bulletin board material, and so many ways to help him improve, I can't wait to see the results.

10. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

Oh my goodness... SAS actually made sense! I never thought I would see the day.

And apparently, he now has a mancrush on Harden. He didn't a year ago... but hey, there were a lot of people who weren't sure about Harden being the go-to guy a year ago. No harm in admitting you're wrong.

Also, good on him for talking about all the good parts about playing for Houston. (Mchale, Dream, Harden, tax-free)

And I hope he was serious about Dwight wanting to be on the show. That would be pretty interesting to see them grill him.

11. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7jyEZCS96H4?list=UUlt2y5W8McOsFK_scAu4WWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Kareem is so jelly!!!!

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Rofl it's suspicious, but I think it's more because the show was about to end/go to commercial.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

What's that supposed to mean?

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

SAS is backing us up? Defending Howard and going up against everyone who says otherwise..... WOW... Dwight and Harden are Rockets and SAS is backing us up? Yup, the Rapture is coming....

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I also basically never agree with SAS, but he is right to question the motives of the statements being made about Dwight right now and especially right to point out how poorly the franchise has existed with Buss Jr. at the helm which is the HUGE story no one wants to talk about...or rather they WILL talk about whenever they want to milk another story out of it, but right now the media is using up all it's anti-Dwight stories because he will almost certainly be painted as the 'star on the road to redemption' hero when they climb to the WC elite just like Lebron was post Decision.

I normally hate to say "told you so" but here was my Lakers prediction in May of 2011 before Dwight was in LA and before the Mike Brown/D'Antoni/Phil Jackson mess, etc:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6115050&postcount=42

16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

They're trying to cut costs right now and look to have absolutely not a single player on the books for the 2014 season.

They only acquired Dwight, and they technically were contenders last season, everyone thought they had a shot at a Western Conference title.

Jeanie is the Laker's executive vice president of business operations and their NBA Board of Governors representative.

Jerry's plan was to have Jeanie handle the business decisions of the team, while Jim handled the basketball side of the Lakers.

Who has left?

Is there an ill-timed pun in there I missed?

I'm not quite sure what part of your "prediction" has actually come true....

Not here to cause hostility, but it always strikes me as odd when someone comes in and says something like "I don't like to do this, but" (and then they do it). In this case I'm not so sure that you did....

17. treeman

treeman Member

I must say that I did enjoy SAS's last word. :)

18. AB423

AB423 Member

Thank you Jim Buss!

19. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

It's unbelievable how good of a reporter SAS is. This guy is always on point, tells it like it is and actually has sources and contacts with the players. Dwight Howard CALLED HIM and asked him to report the facts. That's because Dwight respects SAS along with many many other NBA players.

Stephen A Smith actually played college basketball, he's a well educated man and he speaks very well. Sure he yells, but sometimes he needs to do that to express himself and to be heard over all the other clowns who call themselves sports reporters.

Those of you who bash SAS are really making fools of yourselves. Skip is a clown and does things to get reactions. He has no sources and very few players respect him. Bash Skip all you want.

20. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

SAS always makes sense. He's usually accurate.

Harden earned that. SAS gives credit where credit is due. A year ago, NOBODY knew Harden would be this good, nobody.

Why wouldn't he? He calls it like it is. So what if he didn't know who Chandler Parsons was at the beginning of last season. I'm sure tons of people outside of Houston don't know who he is, it's not like he's an All-Star or something. You girls need to get over that.... talk about a mancrush.

If Dwight does come onto the show it will be because of SAS. Dwight obviously respects SAS and SAS has earned that respect.