1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight SnT a good idea?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jul 9, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Golden State et al SnT made me start wondering if there was sufficient value in doing one with the Lakes.

What could the value be for the Rox? They are starting from under the cap v GSW. The Lakes would receive a large (huge) TE and thus, they should be highly motivated.

I do not understand the new CBA sufficiently to see if/what the ramifications would be for Houston to offer one to LAL?

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

we would probably give them Asik and I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy let alone someone I'm fond of.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets only benefit would be to clear additional cap room. For example, if you hypothetically swapped Omer in a sign and trade, we'd get an extra $8m+ in cap room. Note that in order to use it (or at least use it effectively), we'd have to use it first, and then sign Garcia/Casspi and anyone else. Very different than the Warriors, who get to keep their MLE.

Lakers have far more incentive for it than we do, but I'd guess they don't want to get locked into any multi-year deals. Maybe you get them to give you a 2nd round pick for James Anderson or Tim Ohlbrecht or something just as consideration.

I doubt any SnT involving Howard happens.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In theory we could give a highly protected 2nd rounder. The question is not what would the Rox have to send over but rather what would the value of the SnT be (as it is dynamic in GSWs case, over the cap)?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No reason to help the Lakers at all. Only way I trade Asik to the, is if they take Lin and get Cap room.

6. basketballholic

Sign and trade does not make much sense right now since the free agents that would have possibly made a difference with this team are gone. We're down to scraps on the free agency market. So, a sign-and-trade that would possibly leave us in an over-the-cap position and have the full MLE is not going to happen at this point.

Here's the only S&T that I can see would possibly make a difference. And that is if the Lakers sign and trade Dwight to us and we take him into cap space. Then they take back Jeremy Lin using the TPE they just received from us as we combine Lin's salary with some of our other assets in a trade for another player (Granger or Deng). However, this is somewhat doubtful unless LA is planning on dumping Nash altogether or unless they feel they can move Lin later on as their objective seems to be to have max cap space going into 2014 free agency.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think we should be patient, I think Morey will find us another superstar by next year.

8. basketballholic

I've thought about the cap space argument in dumping Lin in a sign and trade and I just don't see it. There's just no one left in free agency that is worth taking on for multiple years. Kirilenko would be nice but he just opted out of a 1-yr deal because he's trying to get 3 or more years. I doubt if he would sign for 1-year plus an option. (Now if he would....I think that would be a good contract.)

However, if we do a S&T by taking Dwight into cap space with an agreement that LA takes back Lin, then we could combine Lin with one of our young PFs and have enough outgoing salary to bring in a guy like Deng (or Granger).

Deng is on an expiring deal, around $14.2 million. We need around $9.5 million to trade for Deng. That would be Lin and TJones most likely. Chicago gets a good young 3/4 in Jones and a `$12.5 million TPE and they get below the luxury tax line. They're signing Dunleavy and they've got Jimmy Butler and a young Tony Snell to develop on the wings and they're out of luxury tax and the hard cap with a trade like this.

As far as the Rockets, Morey gets the ability to have the option to go under the cap and have cap space to sign a major free agent in 2014 or the ability to trade above the cap using Asik and added contracts.

Same basic scenario applies to the Pacers and Granger. A swap of Granger for TJones gets them significantly under luxury tax. They could then choose to bring back Tyler Hansbrough..the third man of their big man rotation last year, they can get Lance Stephenson on a more agreeable contract and still have a $12.5 million TPE to make a move at the deadline to add another piece to help them get past Miami.

In my opinion, it would be more beneficial to us to use Jeremy Lin's contract in a manner such as this rather than just create $8.3 million of cap space to sign a guy.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

With Smith and Millsap gone, no point for SnT. We can trade Asik before deadline next season for a good player back. We don't need the cap room anymore this offseason.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Better thread titles por favor........

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

(Other than perhaps cap space) is there any CBA benefit from the Houston Rockets' perspective to engage in an SnT for Howard?

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

why give Lakers big trade exception?

13. hali

hali Member

GSW wants to use full MLE and does not have any trade assests.

What good for us to do S&T if we have to give up few assest to Laker now?

If there is any other players want to come to Houston and deserve better contrat, as long as we are under tax line, we can do S&T with that player's team and give that player either 150% of the player you trade out (if salary total is less than 9.8M) or 5M + the salary you trade out (if total salary is between 9.8M to 19.6M). So you could trade out DMo And TJ together for say salary around 5M, or Trade Asik or Lin for salary around 13M (compare to say if you S&T with Laker, you will only clear say 8.3M cap space and you will use that space to sign any FA first now), or Asik + Lin for about 21.7M. Why you want to do it with Laker now?

Lakers will clear the cap in 2014. The trade exception is 1 year. Yes, they can get the trade exception, but for what? Unless LeBorn want to jump ship to them this year in the season, it probably will not get used at all. The Orlando's trade exception created by Howard to Laker will be expired soon. Unlike Denver, who is now above cap, so they can use the trade exception to get a player that worth or just a little bit under the salary they give out to GSW.

With FA now most signed, the left out is a little higher risk and not same return. And most likely you will have to pay more for the same production.

At this moment, you should wait till trade deadline to do that.

Unless there is player(s) show up in the next few days (or great player that will certain get amnesty) that worth certain big contract, it does not give us better flexibility.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're right at the salary cap, so any contract they take would give us that much in cap space to sign FA OR (more importantly) acquire through trade.

So for example, if they took Asik and Lin, that would give us over $16M. Plus we have a young PF to spare, plus we have all out draft picks. This makes us players to (assuming the other team agrees) get a Granger, LMA, Deng, etc.

I doubt they would take Lin in a SNT unless we took back Nash. They don't want to compromise their 2014 cap space, and I doubt they would for Lin. Maybe Asik, but Asik has more value than to just dump his salary in a trade. If we send them Asik, I expect them to throw in a pick or maybe Jordan Hill.

15. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

D'antoni does love him some Jeremy Lin. But I doubt it.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I only see doing it if it means we stay over the cap and keep our MLE. And, I wouldn't include Lin or Asik in it. Their contracts are too long for the Lakers' purposes anyway, and I think that's too much compensation to give to the Lakers. I'm not interested in dumping salary to stay under the cap -- what would we do with that, re-up James Anderson?

But, I think we already dipped under the cap and we can't get our MLE at this point (please correct me if I'm wrong). And, with all the FAs having committed elsewhere, I'm guessing Morey hasn't pursued this angle (or hasn't been successful). And, I'm totally cool with not giving the Lakers any TPE to work with.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not worried about what the Lakers get. They're a non-factor. It's all about unlocking the MLE for the Rockets, if applicable.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

IIRC, According to Bima, once we have used cap space this season the MLE is not available as they have to renounce their exceptions(except for room exception) in order to use their cap space.

EDIT: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8090987&postcount=226

#18 Rockets2K, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  19. basketballholic

Your scenario is costing us both Lin and Asik to get Granger. My scenario is only costing us Lin. I'd prefer to keep Asik for later. Play him backing up Dwight, his value is only going to stay the same or go up. He can always be moved later for a draft pick, and that would be a first round draft pick, to create the cap space you are talking about.

20. basketballholic

The Lin for Nash scenario.....could work if Toronto wanted Nash for Lowry. Lowry's got a $1 million buy out. That could work very well to grease the skids in my proposed trade for either Deng or Granger. However, I don't see Lakers parting with Nash. And the only way the Lakers take on Lin is if they know they are able to dump him later to get the cap space back. They may do it if they feel comfortable that they can move him later.