1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Beverly was signed in January but didn't start getting significant minutes until late February/March, which is after the time window for that stat box.

Which is why the Lin & Harden both off stats are so awful. Our bench was not good last season.

2. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I have laid down my saber and am not going to get into the emotion-laden kind of posts that I had previously as regards Lin. No more of that for me. It's a bad example and I can't allow myself to do that anymore. Someone wrote me a comment rep basically telling me to grow up, and they were right. I'm too old (41) to get into that stuff and it's not professional conduct. So, I'm going to try to avoid that kind of thing in the future.

However, that doesn't mean facts and informed opinions can't be presented in my posts.

It makes me sad to see how some people react to Jeremy Lin. I'm talking the Marc Lamont Hill kind of reaction. To me, that is classic "ABJ" commentary. I've heard it before, heard it from Hill, Mayweather and plenty of others.

I like Patrick Beverley and was working hard to convince people in my own circle that he would be a big upgrade over Toney Douglas.

If Lin could have been dealt for CP3, do it. If Lin can be part of a package next year to try to reel in LeBron James, do it.

That's just smart business, in my opinion. Saying Aaron Brooks may start over Jeremy Lin in 2013-14 -- and I have heard that in the past -- is, well, yeah.

Lin isn't the next Jordan. But I think he's much better than many people give him credit for.

3. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

If Beverley is as good as people say he is, then he should have no problem filling that role.

4. Solaris

Solaris Member

We already have a 6th man. His name is Beverley and provided us with fearless defense and energy.

5. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Some crow eating here since i'm not a LOH and simply want what's best for the team.

Lin's 3p% improved significantly throughout the year excepting a mild drop in April, though april only included 9 games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin

His February-March-April 3p% was a highly respectable 39.8%. He's mostly dragged down by his abysmal start, posting sub .300 percentages in the first two months. Beverley on the other hand started hot, but declined every single month. He's a hard working and intelligent guy, and according to everyone his biggest priority in the offseason is improving his ranged shooting. There was a report that he's shooting 78% from all areas beyond the arc in training. Obviously that will come way down in real game situations, but if he can maintain or improve upon his Jan-Feb-March numbers he will be a great player.

I still think a heavy minutes 6th man would be a great role for him as it would allow him ball handling duties more often and reduce skill overlap, but he's becoming a better shooter than I realized. Still, 6th man is not an insult. Lin leading the second unit with Asik would be very very good and could dominate lots of NBA benches.

6. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

No one's saying he's that great of a player. Hell, part of the idea is that he's much more limited as a facilitator compared to Lin.

7. kastuul

kastuul Member

Totally waste of time on this tropic.
    We don't know how they improve and the new chemistry with Howard.

8. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

If Lin doesn't play with the first unit, then Howard is not going to get easy looks. He'll work as hard as he did in LA.

9. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

6th man is only not an insult if you are consistently in at the end of games.

10. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Appreciate your comments. From what I remember, JVG's never been too high or too low on Lin. After D12 chose HOU, he mentioned that, now people are underrating Lin. They're looking for any weakness to criticize.

1 person likes this.
  11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

JVG's been relatively low on Lin as well, but it's upto Lin to show everyone what he's got. Not the other way around. And it is sad to see people hate on such a hard worker especially when it's not justified.

12. megadon

megadon Member

We will see if McHale actually gives the minutes and pg responsibilities Lint needs. Don't count on it happening. What makes anyone think that McHale will change his usage implementation of Lin?.

13. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Harden could not get his stats up without play massive minutes.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

flawed logic.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

what in the bloody hell? lol. less minutes = more energy and more accuracy. He does not have to score 25 ppg as long as we are winning. I don't want him to win a scoring title I want him to win a TITLE.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LOL 6th man = hate

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

James Harden* and for that matter who says Lin won't be on the floor with Howard if he is the 6th man???

18. csc177

csc177 Member

If Lin can hit an open three on a consistent basis, we don't have this conversation.
    Who cares if he doesn't handle the ball much, he just needs to make an open jumper when it comes his way. It's that simple. We have studs that can do everything else in Harden, Parsons, and D12.

19. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Harden was almost universally praised for being willing to play the role of 6th man. Why can't Lin be the same?

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He can and would. Most (not all) of the LOFs just don't want him coming off the bench. One even used the All-Star game voting as a reason why