1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about 7 footers of the future...including Yao.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trickdaddy1319, Mar 27, 2003.

1. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

If Shaq is 6'2" and shoots the way he does now from perimeter, he will be serving burgers at the nearest In 'N Out.

Style and talent? You gotta be kidding. :rolleyes:

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

By the way....Jerome James kinda plays like Shaq....at least tries to. He's pretty good too.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Shaq wouldn't make near the money in the WWE that he does in the NBA, especially with endorsements. And the WWE is a harder job (with no summer vacation, 150 or more appearances a year), with less job stability, no long term contracts, and no union.

That being said, he would be an awesome talent in the WWE, especially with the push he would get. He could run circles around the Big Show.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why I said he's a genius. Anyone with his body who has lesser brain would have gone to wrestling.

6. Trickdaddy1319

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Trickdaddy1319:- The reason why it cant be done is two fold in nature:- a) Physical (BODY) Type, b) Psychological Make up
    a) It is now said that there 45 recognised body types.OF these there are three Major groupings.
    ECTOMORPH- thin,flat chested, tall, lightly muscled, large brain, muscle groth takes longer.
    MESOMORPH- hard muscular body,mature appearance, thick skin, upright posture,changes weight easily, grows muscle quickly, rectangular in shape.
    ENDOMORPH- soft body,underdeveloped muscle. round shaped, over developed digestive system, trouble loosing weight, can gain muscle easily.
    Also one has to remember the type of skeleton that all the inner and outer body equipment is slung. You can only do so much, depending what you have been given!
    All of these factors are influenced by so many Psychological factors while developing, being raised and educated, both formal and informal.
    This is why I contest posters that call for Yao Ming to put on bulk, they have the picture of Shaq in their mind who is a MESOMORPH and with a background of a black American Youth. These posters want Yao Ming to contest Shaq man to man, muscle to muscle ( an almost imposible task in my opinion). Yao Ming is an ECTOMORPH with a very protected background in China resulting in a different psychlogical make up, almost too gentle by American standards. Considering all these factors that is why I have stated that Yao Ming is a new breed of Center. He will become stronger, he will improve his leg work, positioning , offence and defence but he most likely will never play with the BRUTISH Game of Shaq. Yao Ming will be a great finesse player and might be likened with Jabar but never Shaq.

8. fanwq

fanwq Member

Good idea.Yao should be mor loe post after he battle with Shaq at game II.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I understand you didn't say the only reason he dominates is because of size. When I said he doesn't only dominate from size I was trying to emphasize that he does so many other things well.

I never said someone could dominate Shaq I have no clue why you got on this tangent.

Well first you said Shaq was 270 when he entered the league. Then you said he was 300. Anyhow...then you said it shouldn't be that hard to find a guy to gain weight like Shaq did. Ok well if it isn't that hard then how come almost every single player who has gained weight like Shaq has turned into a much worse player after gaining that much weight. Shaq has added about 40lbs since entering the NBA. He is listed at 338 right now. Just find me one big man who has gained that much weight and has continued to be a great player or even a player in the NBA at all. You won't find one, because they don't exist

Well that is wonderful for you. I am guessing you were also skinny before. These guys are already pretty damn big in the first place. You had room to grow. Most of these guys do not. How much do you weigh now? Did it make you a better basketball player or better athlete? Do you run faster now? Can you shoot the ball better? Are you quicker? Or just bigger?

Anyhow you can't just keep eating more and more and more and more protein and calories and expect to become a 400 pound muscle freak. It doesn't work that way. Do you think you could add another 50 lbs of muscle if you just kept eating more?

Nice cheap shot. I glad you know me so well.

Who said they do have an excuse? You are just ranting again. But anyhow...do you think those players should devote their lives to stopping Shaq? Should they try to consume 10,000 calories a day so they can just gain weight to stop Shaq?

Wonderful finish...again you are ranting about things I didn't even talk about. If Shaq committed offensive fouls everytime don't you think he would get called for them just a bit more often? Also, I like how you say I should go to the Laker forum for no reason whatsoever.

10. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Shaq is big. That's why he's so good. He can pretty much do anything he wants. And it's a mental game. A bunch of people are scared of him. But mainly, it's because of his size. Along with his size, he has explosiveness and can also pass. He's just awesome. He's the most dominant player in the NBA right now.

Nobody right now can "dominate" Shaq. He is the most dominant player. The only thing you can possibly do is reduce his scoring and prevent him from getting too involved. You can do this by putting 2 7-footers on him.

Shaquille O'Neal is just special. Nobody can be like him. He's just special.

I don't understand why you are trying to put him down. I don't see you in the NFL or NBA. What's so good about being all built? Do you have a girlfriend?

If I was Jason Collier, I could retire! I don't have to play. I'm always on the injured list. I don't even want to play. I'm just collecting the money. I would be pretty lazy. I'm not going to motivate myself to stand up to Shaquille O'Neal.

It's disappointing to see Shaq throwing people down and bumping and painfully hurting them but he is not called for a foul. And then go to Yao, and he is always called for a foul. Maybe next year, when he's not a rookie anymore, he will get more fair calls.

11. Trickdaddy1319

Robbie:

If you can't comprehend that I said they should eat and weight train more, then you are truly lost.

To answer your question, yes I have a girlfriend. Yes I did become a better basketball player and football player because I gained weight/muscle.

Also, the lack of players who have gained weight in the form of MUSCLE substantially is very slim, and that is my point. Noone wants to put the time in the gym. You want examples of someone who gained weight and became a better player? Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant. Want more? Sure there are players who got better by adding mass. And don't go off on a tangent claiming that all I'm saying is eating 10,000 calories a day will reach the result I'm talking about.

Eating more (EATING THE RIGHT FOODS) and TRAINING more will achieve the desired result. Being a center in today's NBA is the most physical of all the positions. I can't see why it eludes you to realize that the bigger and stronger you are as a CENTER the better CENTER you will be in more ways than one.

Did Shaq get slower from gaining the weight? Sure. Did he become more dominant? You bet your ass he did. All you need to do is ask yourself why almost everyone on this board and the Rockets trainers wants Yao ming to put on more muscle and develop his upper body strength. The Rockets trainers have been quoted as saying they want Yao to get up to 340lb. Gee, I wonder why.

12. Yetti

Trickdaddy:- You still need to read my responce. You cant get the same out of all body types!!!

13. Yetti

The Rockets trainers are wrong if they try to bring Yao Ming to 340lbs. About 320lbs should be his max. inorder to keep his big advantage of strong and injury free legs!!

14. Trickdaddy1319

Maybe not, but they could show a significant improvement on what Yao already has. He's way too weak and his cardio sucks.

15. Yetti

Trickdaddy:- Now your talking!!! Thats all you needed to say, you just caused us all to waste a lot of time and space. Now I would be in full agreement with you!

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think 340 lbs. is reasonable. What makes you guys think Yao's arms will be the size of Mark McGwires in thickness if he puts on that much weight to his upperbody and will get injured? Better physical condition will never hurt Yao. He'll still be flexible, but more built. As it is now, Yao still gets bullied around by players whose names are not Shaq still. Also I'd trust the knowledge of a weight trainer who has years of experience in the field then some forum BBSers who like to make ridiculous trade posts, and fire coaching threads, nor show heart in their team when they're down.

17. Trickdaddy1319

exactly. someone else besides me is making sense here. How many times did we see Yao get bullied around by the likes of Briant Grant and other 6'9" centers in the nba?

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No one is saying it wouldn't hurt Yao to keep getting bigger in his upper body. But his problem is he doesn't know how to use his weight yet. He is not aggressive enough with it. Awhile back when I used to play ball a ton with my old roommate when we would play I could back him down with work even though I weigh about 30 pounds less than him and even though he is about 3 times stronger than me in his upper body. Its about knowing how to use your weight and working at it. Yao doesn't throw his weight around yet. He may weigh 300 but he plays like he is 200.

19. rvpals

rvpals Member

Because a purely power game is so boring to watch. Did you see how the game is so unwatchable when Shaq just overpower people and dunking, and people resort to make him shoot free throws, and we got about 15 minutes of seeing Shaq missing his free throw.

I would much rather watch the center plays a combination of power & finess game, such as David Robinson at his prime, Dream, etc.

Shaq is the reason why I don't want to watch any laker game until it's Shaq-Yao I.

20. Yetti

You guys need to read my long posting and then you might have some idea about this subject!