1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which small forward would you like the most?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LiTtLeY1521, Mar 26, 2003.

?

Which small forward should the Rockets acquire?

1. Lamar Odom

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  2. Jim Jackson

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Lamond Murray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bruce Bowen

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Keith Van Horn

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Toni Kukoc

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Shane Battier

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Desmond Mason

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  9. Hedo Turkoglu

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Morris Peterson

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I really wish we could get Elton Brand and get rid of Cuttino Mobley. But that will never happen and having 3 All Stars sounds great...but it may turn out to be a disaster with a lot of complaining.

I do think that we should upgrade our small forward position though. We already have James Posey, Glen Rice, Bostjan Nachbar, and Terence Morris. The Rockets will decide if they want to negotiate new contracts with James Posey and Terence Morris. They may or may not resign them. Bostjan Nachbar is still an unknown. There are many rumors about him...good and bad. He may be a bust...but he may become a star. Glen Rice is old. He is preparing to retire. He could be used as trade bait. Teams may want to trade for him maybe for some veteran leadership or some shooting or just to reduce their payroll. Posey is good.....but very inconsistent. He has shown that he can play very well...but if we do not resign him...which small forward would you like the most?

The Rockets don't really need a superstar to be playing small forward. But they do need a solid and consistent role player at the small forward. They really need someone who can make open shots. A small forward who could play defense would be great too.

Ranking of who I think has the best 3 point shooting ability of my picks.
    1. Shane Battier
    2. Morris Peterson
    3. Keith Van Horn
    4. Bruce Bowen
    5. Lamar Odom
    6. Hedo Turkoglu
    7. Toni Kukoc
    8. Jim Jackson
    9. Lamond Murray
    10. Desmond Mason

This is a list of the highest paid small forward to the lowest paid of my picks...
    1. Keith Van Horn
    2. Toni Kukoc
    3. Lamond Murray
    4. Lamar Odom
    5. Bruce Bowen
    6. Shane Battier
    7. Hedo Turkoglu
    8. Desmond Mason
    9. Morris Peterson
    10. Jim Jackson

Which small forward...do you think...would be the best fit and should be signed or traded to the Houston Rockets?

I would have put Matt Harpring....but he's on the Jazz.

2. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I voted for Hedo.

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Thanks for voting!

1. Keith Van Horn - $12,072,000
    2. Toni Kukoc - $8,822,000
    3. Lamond Murray - $4,125,000
    4. Lamar Odom - $3,500,000
    5. Bruce Bowen - $3,360,000
    6. Shane Battier - $2,368,000
    7. Hedo Turkoglu - $1,300,000
    8. Desmond Mason - $1,235,000
    9. Morris Peterson - $1,033,000
    10. Jim Jackson - $1,030,000

Shane Battier, Hedo Turkoglu, and Desmond Mason are the favorites. Surprisingly, they do not make very much. They all make less than Glen Rice, Maurice Taylor, Kelvin Cato, and MOOCHIE NORRIS. Isn't that sad?

Battier isn't a starter, but he can play multiple positions. He has good fundamentals and can do a little of everything. Hmm...he can shoot 3's too if he is needed to.

Hedo Turkoglu is well-known. He is a backup small forward for the Sacramento Kings. He is very good. But currently, he is playing behind Peja Stojakovic and Jim Jackson. He has a lot of potential and can play. He could do very good with the Rockets.

Lamar Odom, of course, is Lamar Odom. He can definitely play basketball. I would love him. He's awesome. But he's the least likely to come to the Rockets.

4. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I emailed you back Littley1521, IM me at Courtney0220 .

5. Buckets

Buckets Member

i would rank bowen pretty high this year, great 3pt shooter but a sorry ft shooter.

plus his defense is superb.

kukoc is pretty good too I think.

6. ewfd

ewfd Member

where's the james posey option? :cool:

7. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Corey Maggette realistically and Shawn Marion ideally.

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

LOL....I would want Shawn Marion. :(

Okay. James Posey and Glen Rice. James Posey has been doing good the last couple of games. He can become a great "Rick Fox" for the Houston Rockets. He is fast and can score...when in desperation. But I don't think he can be inconsistent. I hope he scores in double digits the last couple of games of the season...let's just see. Sometimes many bad mistakes. But still good. But of course....I would want Lamar Odom over him.
    Glen Rice.....still can shoot. But too old. We can't keep him forever. He's just slow. It would be better to replace him with a faster version of him.

Right now....a change isn't necessary.

At center, we have no trouble. Yao Ming and Kelvin Cato are doing a excellent job. Yao just needs to get used to the defense and be more aggressive.
    At power forward, we aren't awesome, but it will have to do. They are in love with Eddie Griffin. They won't give him up. And Mo Taylor...he's been getting very good lately. But no one else wants him. I'll gladly keep him. Of course, I would love Elton Brand over both of them.
    At shooting guard, Mobley seems to be staying. His defense can be JUST GREAT if he really wants to play defense. And he usually makes his shots unless he's in a slump. He's cheap...and I don't see him going.
    Francis....he's our franchise. He's not leaving. But sometimes....OUR OFFENSE LOOKS TERRIBLE. Bill Walton says,"STAGNANT!!!" It would be nice to bring in just a point guard who can run a normal offense...just normal. Francis has been getting better and better. It's too risky to put Francis at shooting guard. So most likely, Francis will remain the point guard.
    And Mobley will stay as shooting guard.

We have a good team. But it will never become a top team without EVEN MORE talent. Sure...we can wait for everyone to develop slowly. And coaching and execution and many other factors affect a team's play. BUT STILL.....wouldn't it be nice to have better players? :(

A defensive stopper.....or someone who can take over a game...not many of those are available. But there are many role players that would love to come to Houston. We are known for giving our bench players BIG CONTRACTS. I still can't believe Hedo Turkoglu makes that little considering he is that good...

COREY MAGGETTE WOULD BE NICE.

9. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

yo. you gonna IM me? Im almsot always online. Courtney0220 !

10. 3 kids

3 kids Member

Kukoc wouold be a nice fit,,,,, but like Rice he's old and fragile.... Battier is a wise option too coz of his "team first mentality"... though he tends to be too passive at times... How about Kobe or T-mac...any chance for that happenin?

11. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

wheres Boki?

he's the guy I vote for.

12. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Boki is my choice. :)

13. Nova

Nova Member

I've love to have Odom, but actually I don't think he'll fit in well with the Rox. That being said I'd probably go with Bowen. I've always liked Bowen's game and his defense. And now his 3 pt% has been insane.. which works well with the Rox. The knocks on him are that he can't shoot ft's, he has no offensive game besides shooting 3's, and he can't rebound very well. However he's played with Duncan and Robinson and he's a smart vet. Plus we don't need too much more out of him than D and 3 pt shooting. He'd be a great fit. Hawkins is kinda like a poor man's Bowen.. Kukoc would be nice to have too, but he's getting on in years. We don't need two old 3's on the team next season. Jeez.. imaging the D if we put Cat at the 1, Hawkins at the 2, Bowen at the 3, Cato at the 4, and Yao at the 5... not much offensive production at all.. but damn that'd be some lockdown D. Anyways, no way we get Bowen from the Spurs, and most likely the Rox are gonna stay with Posey, Nachbar, and Rice... and I hope TMo but dunno if they'll resign him.

14. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Sarrif Abdul Rahim (sp)

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Desmond Mason and Lamar Odom are the 2 standouts. I think Mason would be a much better fit for our squad. We don't want yet another guy who likes to handle the ball yet isn't a true PG. I'd rather just get a real PG than a point forward.

Plus Odom smokes too much weed. And Mason is just developing into a beast. I take Mason.

Turkogu, Mo Peterson, and Kukoc are pretty good. Jackson, Murray, Battier and Bowen are not worth it. Van Horn is the best shooter, but I don't like his overall game, too one dimensional.

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

i voted for mo pete.

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Hey, I've got a question. Are these small forwards attainable for our team? Please also tell us how can we obtain them thru trade? or free agency?

18. albuy

albuy Member

I also pick Shareef Abdur-Rahim. He has great offensive skills.

19. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

You said Keith Van Horn...yes...he probably is the best shooter. But I was surprised that he makes $12 mill per year. I mean...Francis will only make around that too.

I don't think Van Horn deserves that much...just like Glen Rice and Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris...these 3 just make too much.

All can be possibly acquired.

For example: Lamar Odom will be a free agent. I think he is restricted. But we could sign him. Man....Lamar Odom could come to Houston just like Mo Taylor did. We pay so much for our nonfranchise players. And I think he would like to come to Houston too.

Desmond Mason or Toni Kukoc...we could make a trade. Give them Kelvin Cato and one or two of our third stringers for both of them.

Turkoglu would be nice. But the Kings don't want anything that we have...same with Jim Jackson.

20. coonhunter

coonhunter Member

JAMES POSEY