1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Despicable Me 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Jul 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Caught this yesterday with the family. Not as good as the first, but still had its moments. The story bounced all over the place...not very linear...but cute nonetheless. A fair amount of potty humor...my seven year-old son laughed throughout.

Nice The Love Boat / Isaac reference thrown in.

6 / 10

2. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

Was a big fan of the first one. The sequel is not that good, but then again, most sequels are disappointments since the expectations are high. Still the story should be much better.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good thing I decided to skip this this weekend.

4. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Thank you for the heads up, will wait for the DVD for the kids.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I cracked up watching this with my kids.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I enjoyed it with my girls. The minions steal the show. They have a lot more lines this time around. It's a kid's movie. Don't expect the plot to be intricate. I liked the exaggerated "Mexicanness" of the movie. The little girls are still cute and 'girly'.

In all, I'd give it an 8/10. Go see it in 3D.

SwoLyrating: :grin:

SwoLy's Rating System:
    :eek: Excellent
    :grin: Good
    :) Average
    :eek: Could be better
    :( Bad
    :mad: Extremely bad

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I thought the first one struck a nice balance between the spy comedy and family elements but this one seemed to tilt too heavily into ronantic comedy. When it worked, it really clicked, but when it didn't it tended to drag. And the end was rather anticlimactic. It's still worth it for the minions though.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I agree with OP. I was REALLY looking forward to this but I left disappointed. Not that it's a bad movie..... just didn't live up to the first one. And, I also agree about the story. It was like most of it was filler without much of a real plot to move it along.

Plus, the ending with the villain... blah.

Interested to see how they make this Minion Movie next year solely based around characters that don't speak a lick of English.

9. SwoLy-D

Why do you all continue to say "not as good as the first one"? :rolleyes:

What if you had seen this one first? :confused:

10. IBTL

IBTL Member

6/10

Yeah I was disappointed in this too.
    My kids have been talking about it everyday until we saw it. We saw it and now they havent said a single thing about it.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Monsters U was better than this. A lot of jokes in this movie were very Three Stooges type humor. Not a lot of cleverness.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I liked the first one better than this one, but my wife liked this one better than the first one. My son laughed throughout but he was more distracted than anything (he's only 3).

OT, what do you guys think about a bunch of older people going to see movies like this without having kids. My wife and I noticed that during this movie as well as Monsters U there were quite a few adults without children.

We find it weird and creepy but I guess it's normal to some people.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I thought DM2 was much better than Monsters U. For the first time with the possible exception of Cars 2, I felt that Pixar mailed it in.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member

'Mailed it in' is a perfect description of monsters university and despicable me 2

15. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EurAr59_8TA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I brought my son to his first movie the croods and there were two guys by themselves watching. Thought it was weird my self. Bordering on very weird.

17. SwoLy-D

^ I believe there was a rule or law in Mexico that the theaters had... you couldn't go in to watch a kids' movie unless you were accompanied by at least one child. :eek: I don't know if that's true, but a few people including my cousins have told me that it's an unspoken rule down there south of the U.S. and A.'s border.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I watched it opening night with my friends. we're all in our 20s. No shame in my game, movie was funny.

19. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Great quality torrents for this movie are already out.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I find it far more disturbing to see a couple bring in an infant child to an adult movie or a little kid to an R rated or hard PG13 feature. Besides, a lot of animated movies these days have humor for both adults and kids.