1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media Games and Hate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 7, 2013.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

Agree 1000% about the smear campaign on DH and I fell victim to it based on previous history....

The opt in after saying he wanted out is the culprit for all his "he's indecisive" woes....

However....win and the tune will change (in regard to coverage)...

BSPN is about star power and ratings at the end of the day....

If the Rox are smashing fools, BSPN will have to cover it...they have to.

Rox are no longer a footnote, oh by the way team any more.

They can hate that all they want...but they will have to bow down eventually.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

y'know in a way this just give me more pride in the Rockets. Rockets are still against the world, so when we shock it, it will be even sweeter.

3. liveguy

liveguy Member

Oh...and eff that hypocrite Shaq.....

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

Ha! I actually meant to include this in my original post, but forgot and hit send early -- I'll blame the jetlag. ;)

You're right in that this is another egregious example. Amick's sources are as good as it gets. It seemed that Woj essentially confirmed the deal as well. So if you're Broussard in that situation, just stop for a second and think: which is more likely?

1.) Somehow every reputable reporter on the planet got it wrong and/or Dwight legitimately is undoing his own decision at the last possible second

2.) Dwight wants to announce it on his own time, and the "indecision" leak is his attempt to buy extra time or delay his personal confirmation. Whatever the reason.

The second scenario is a whole lot more reasonable, if you actually take a step back and analyze the situation objectively. That's what a true reporter would do. Instead, Broussard just blissfully puts whatever he's told out there verbatim, no context, and it makes the story a circus. Sad.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

Interesting how ONLY one place reporting Omer is upset right now

Sure he may wish to get the PT he deserves elsewhere but the guy is a true pro and cares about winning. He did nothing of this in Chicago when he was backing up Noah who isn't as good as Howard.

Whereas Nuño who was spot on throughout the Dwight FA reports his contacts are reporting the same. Omer wants to play and win

Omer is a luxury and may be being shopped but he isn't acting like a little kid throwing a tantrum. He knew the team was after Dwight so why not act out before?

Oh that's right - that's not good ratings or drama

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Don't forget the BS Marc Stein perpetuated the first day after he met with the Mavs, that WE CAN'T COUNT THEM OUT!!!

In actuality every other credible source was saying, why yes, yes we in fact can count them out. Screw Dallas, that city fabricated from the ground up.

Perhaps if ESPN is going to declare war on the Rockets, we should declare war on them too. The sports news landscape is now dilute enough that I can go to yahoo or SI (and often do when I want real opinions from good journalists) to get scoops from here on. ESPN pretty much has Bill Simmons/Grantland and that's it.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A lot of this reminds me of the small media smear that James Harden got when he left OKC. It wasn't as big because it came from OKC...but it was there. That he left only for Money and how now he's going to 'enjoy' wasting away in Houston when he should have taken the contract and sacrificed a bigger role AND money to stay in OKC.

Well...so much for wasting away in Houston...and so much for him not growing into that bigger role.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

BTW, well informed, well put together threads like this are a reason I love being part of the Clutchfans community. That post certainly took a long time to cobble together with all its references and links, but there's a cohesive singular thought conveyed behind all the bells and whistles. And it's a really compelling argument, taking a stance on an issue that is by nature hard to critique.

Good job man, one of the posts of the year.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also must spread rep around...but yeah the butthurt is strong and the Media DEFINITELY has their own agenda.

It was there with James Harden, but it was with OKC. ESPN particularly don't care about OKC, they care about Durant and Westbrook...and they are already starting the Durant to Brooklyn/LA/NYC train. They'll continue to write stories about how Westbrook takes shots from Durant (he does, but hard to argue with results) they'll continue to mention Durant's partnership with Jay-Z, all it's going to take is his contract winding down.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

Somebody should tweet this to Marc Stein.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I got to be honest here. The media ripping on Dwight - he kind of earned that from all the drama he created back in Orlando and then being in L.A. and all the tension with Kobe.

He has a bad rep for a reason. We have to realize what we are getting here. And frankly, we've chased plenty of players out of town like Francis and T-mac and villified them to death on their way out the door.

It's more human nature than money nature. But yeah, both are involved. Point is, doesn't matter where you are, a story ripping a player and making fun of them is going to get listened to more than one defending them. Mockery sells.

But DH has made himself a target - so I really can't blame the media all that much.

let's hope that DH puts up and doesn't complain while he is here. I really hope he doesn't. I know yall pretty well after 10+ years on this board, and I know yall will turn on him and join the avalanche if he doesn't live up to expectations.

1 person likes this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Somebody should simply tweet, "STFU" to Stein.

13. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Member

I feel you on that. There are way too many people screwing good journalism up just for the money. I await the hate and look forward to shutting them up.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of course because Marc Stein lives in Dallas, writes for ESPN Dallas. I think he even used to work at the Dallas Morning News, no?

In any case...another perfect example of "CONSIDER THE SOURCE."

15. Babalooga

Babalooga Member

Excellent post OP. You've pulled it together nicely.

The Platschke piece especially was raw meat to soothe the savage LA crybabies.

16. Classic

Classic Member

They're all Yes Men in the main stream media. Doesn't matter what the topic, the end game is ratings achieved through perceived controversy. Dwight's an easy target bc of his Orlando days and the only way to shut these clowns up is to win.

Great post.

17. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

The Rockets won't get that much exposure much in the same way the Spurs won't get much exposure. Simple as that.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Not true. With two stars that like to be in the public eye like Howard and Harden, we will be talked about much more than the Spurs. Get used to seeing a lot of ESPN talk.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Very nicely done! It seems ESPN will be happy with Asik being traded off along with Lin. I can't stand their bias reporting for the glamour teams, like they have a stake in those teams good fortunes. I just hope all the hate that the Rockets will lead to what the Heat did in first run together but with the Rockets winning it all.:)

20. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

There is likely a smear campaign against Lin as well as Asik going on right now to drum up attention and hits for the media rumormongers.