1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Orlando Summer League Game 1: Rockets vs. 76ers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Chamillionaire

Wasn't really impressed today with their play. The only player who played well was TJones.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

how the hell did the royce white 76ers manage 2 points

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Better than I expected.

(obligatory - this is Summer League)

4. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Will this game be available for download somewhere?

5. zzpot

zzpot Member

Who was coaching for the Rockets this game?

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sampson

7. zzpot

zzpot Member

I thought it may have been Dean Cooper.. I think I saw him drawing up the plays late in the game

8. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

Sampson is back? smh I was hoping someone would hire him away from us

9. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Terrance Jones was impressive with 24pts 12rebs. Very active on the boards and finished well through contact. Dominated the game from start to finish as you would expect him to do.

Beverley was very solid. Applied some great pressure defense on Philly's guards and forced the issue. Took care of the ball with only 1 turnover. Carter-Williams may have scored more and looked flashy at times but he had 9 turnovers. Also liked what I saw from backup PG Casper Ware.

Greg Smith was a little disappointing. I was expecting him to dominate the low post a little more.

Dark horse guy to get invited to training camp - Jack Cooley. High motor. Rebounds well. Good defender who understands the team concept as well as anybody.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

According to the announcers at the beginning he was in charge

11. zzpot

zzpot Member

OK thanks.... I missed the first 15 minutes or so of the game

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Greg smith. d12 and josh smith would have been the worst FT% front court if that happened

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Does anybody know where to find highlights and a box score? I missed it.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

1 person likes this.
  15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/games/20130707/HOUPHI/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

TJones played a complete game but without the intensity you would expect from a starting PF. Dude was the most talented big on the floor, but doesn't seem to totally believe it. With that being said, he hustled and played very smart and under control -> all very promising signs pointing towards being NBA ready. Take a look at his line, he displayed his range, post game, rebounding ability and solid defense. Maybe its his subdued personality, but there was a stark contrast between his and Beverley's impact

Beverly took full advantage of the fact that he was matched up against the lottery pick PG Michael Carter Williams. He badgered MCW into a poor 1st half performance and inspired solid all around D from the entire team. Dude took full advantage of the fact that you can't foul out (5 fouls by half time). He played aggressive and looked for his shot. Very impressive 1st half.

In the 2nd half he changed gears and tried to become a distributor. This allowed MCW to find his game and keep the game close (down only 3pts in the middle of the 3rd I think). You could clearly tell that this was not his preferred pace but he still put up a strong effort and seemed better than last year in getting the squad involved. Could have had double digit assists, but many of his dishes in the paint resulted in free throws. Overall, he demonstrated exactly why we love him: fearless, solid shooting, great 1st step (totally blew by MCW in one play) and intelligent enough to recognize what he needs to be doing on the floor.

Greg Smith, unfortunately, looked lost out there. His final numbers seem solid, but do not demonstrate his lack of impact. He had some sporadic moments that resulted in a blocked shot or a dunk, but nothing that made you confident that he deserves minutes on our deep squad.

Other Notables:
    Jack Cooley, C from Notre Dame. Old school, meat and potatoes kind of a player. Out hustled and muscled his way to a nice line. Displayed intelligence on the defensive end and played within his limitations while still contributing. Definitely earned an invite to an NBA training camp.

James Anderson. Played like exactly the same player from last year. Of course he was already a decent 3rd string option, but it was disappointing that his play didn't reflect his 3yrs of NBA experience. Unlikely he will make the squad with Garcia and Casspi signing.

Tyler Honeycutt, Robert Covington and Casper Ware are not afraid to stroke it. All three played within the rhythm of the game but need to stroke it better to even sniff an NBA roster.

Other notes:
    Casper Ware plays aggressive and fast but seems to be a total liability on the defensive end due to his size (5' 10" guard).
    Covington is a really long and tall SF (6' 7") but doesn't seem entirely too lanky for his size. In fact he had this awesome sequence where his active hands knocked a ball loose for a steal and was able to get the ball back on the fast break for a pull up three. Shades of Batum, really cool stuff.

DMo is playing with his national squad.
    Canaan is out with a pre-draft workout injury and it hasn't been announced when and if he'll play.

Kelvin Sampson will be coaching the summer league squad, so the emphasis appears to be upon offense through active defense (they were even playing a 2-3 zone at some stretches!)
    Royce White trade has not been executed yet, so even more unlikely he'll play in summer league.

[Ron Paul gif]

3 people like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorta hoping Anderson would show enough to be a backup SG option. In his limited time last season he showed some skills, both going to the hoop and from the outside. It is the one backup position that needs to be addressed (though I reckon Garcia and Beverly/Lin will be taking some of the few minutes Harden sits).

17. Classic

Classic Member

Guys, FYI, 3 am replay on NBATV; set your DVRS

18. aron

aron Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Chris Finch is running Houston's summer league team, and that guy is an abject steal in terms of a coaching mind. D-League work was killer</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/statuses/353909542477774848">July 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So Finch is coaching instead of Sampson?

19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Kelly Olynyk is a haas. Smooth and versatile. Can create and stroke it. I'm in love.

20. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Also I don't know what anyone sees in Anderson. The guy can't dribble, can't create his own shot, drives exclusively to his left and can't hit an open jumper. He hides himself well on D and doesn't get exposed, though. He's a bum.