1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goal for 2014 Monster Draft? (more about roster than Draft)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Knightrogen, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will the person you trade Parsons for be able to recruit a superstar to the Rockets?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whoever this Parson guy is, yes I would trade him for Andrew Wiggins.

That being said, despite one of the deepest top heavy drafts in upcoming NBA history, there is no guarantee of what that player would turn out to be in the end. This team is inching closer to competing right here and now. Morey wouldn't hesitate to move a rotation player to get a top pick in next years draft, but Chandler Parsons is going to be an extremely important piece of a contending team for years to come.... that would be an extremely huge gamble unless we knew for sure they were getting the next Lebron James for him.

Im sure though that the Rockets will be very predatory next Summer in a deep draft to upgrade the team....

That being said....

WHY THE F ARE WE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT NEXT YEARS DRAFT AGAIN????

3. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Dude, everybody is talking about it. I have been on other boards and all they talk is how to position themselves better for 2014 draft. 2013 draft is already history and teams are already preparing for 2014, the deepest draft in a decade

4. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

The goal is to tank for Wiggins.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Only the Knicks' 2nd rounder, as of now. The Thomas Robinson trade could not have involved a 2014 2nd rounder because they traded their own in 2014 to Charlotte and don't have any credits for any others. Rockets traded their own to Philly.

The OP is pretty ridiculous, but the Rockets do have their own 2014 1st rounder.

So as of now: Rockets 1st rounder and Knicks 2nd rounder. Nothing else.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If your team is going to be bad enough to possibly get a top 5 pick then sure.... its very interesting... However, the Rockets (hopefully) will not have a pick in the teens of the first round. By then, your adding a role player.

The Rockets can add a role player right now in free agency.

If you want to talk about trades already then fine. I do think that Morey will still try and collect assets and movable contracts, but it will be for more important purposes..... like making a trade for a 3rd star player... that player is more likely to be someone already currently in the NBA than a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Keep in mind, Thomas Robinson was a top 5 pick in last years draft, and Robinson had to be traded from a playoff team, and now a contending team... the Rockets obviously value a "missing piece to a contender" type of player higher than they do a high upside lottery pick that might or might not pan out.... look up what they did with the 8th pick in the draft back when they have Yao and T-Mac.

Talking about the 2014 draft is pretty irrelevant right now for this team. Asset accumulation for what comes next is pretty damn relevant.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't see how this next draft can be so big when all i keep hearing about is Andrew Wiggins.

8. Progs

Progs Member

Rockets are a championship contender no need to worry about the draft. Rockets are pretty much set and could do moves without the draft plus Rockets have 2 picks in the draft. Focused is about championship in Houston just like Texans draft is irrelevent right now.

9. dudeyosupbro

dudeyosupbro New Member

I think the Rockets will continue their drafting process of the past few years, take a potential sleeper, send them to the D-League, and let them prove themselves and earn a spot on the roster. 2014 should be almost identical to 2013 in fact, because although it is a top heavy draft I suspect the Rockets will be battling for as high a playoff seed as they can get, rather than worrying about getting a slightly higher pick.

Things could get interesting, though, once we see how the regular season pans out, and other teams become interested in potential Jrue Holiday - Nerlens Noel type deals where they give away a good player who won't help them achieve their goals for a younger player with more potential and picks. With Dwight on board for four years I could see future picks becoming very liquid.

Not to mention the chance that any of these perennial all-stars from the 2014 draft could go the LeBron of Howard route and leave if their management can't assemble a team around them. I think things will get very interesting in 2016 or so when Players from the 2012 draft are becoming free agents (right?) and teams are looking to assemble a squad of 2012 and 2014 players. Wiggins, Davis, Lillard 2018 champions.

Yea I've been playing too much 2k.

10. justinh

justinh Member

oh man lol @ thread

11. Progs

Progs Member

Unless you have a top 10 pick in 2014 draft stay put. NO one will trade a top 10 pick because off the All star pontential. The draft is real deep that if your team has a 1st rd pick you should come out with a good player. 2nd rd picks are a crap shoot 2014 should not be any different. You really don't get a all star in the 2nd rd. 2013 and 2014 are as deep except that the difference is that 2014 you have 5 elite prospects who can become a Superstar and it has a very special and hype talent like Wiggins. Saying that it is just a bit deeper when you only factor the top 5 or 6 players. 5 players who have all star pontential as of today

Wiggins
    Randle
    Parker
    Exum
    An Harrison
    Wild Card is Embiid

12. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

The reason why I have an eye on this draft is that I think this draft class could turn out to be something special we haven't seen since maybe 2003. And I am a big college basketball fan and always have been. This really adds up to the hype.

And I personally really like Rockets to be a part of it. That is my real feeling. Can anybody imagine Aaron Gordan or Embiid along with Dwight and Harden and Jeremy Lin!

13. thething

thething Contributing Member

I'd trade either Dwight or Harden plus extras for Wiggins. That guy is going to be special.

14. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I know Wiggins is good but not expecting him to be that good.

The kid hasn't even played a college game yet and you already put money on him? Maybe you can educate me the reason why? :confused:

15. Progs

Progs Member

It is a deep draft and the Rockets are problaby drafting somewhere around 26 to 30 which is good because after top 10 you are left with alot of talent.

16. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Who you like with that much late of a first rounder?

17. hltiki

hltiki Member

Because he is ranked at the top of an already very deep draft. And also, because he is to be the next LBJ...

18. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Oh boy. Without a college game and people are already projecting him to be the next LBJ? How do Scouts even know how good he is going to be? This is crazy...

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

If this draft is real deep, we might be able to get a steal or two in the 2nd round.