1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi has reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andre0087, Jul 6, 2013.

?

Do you like the signing of Omri Casspi to a 2-year deal (2nd year not guaranteed)?

1. YES

291 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. NO

118 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

As someone who's not Jewish and basically knows jack squat about Casspi(besides his pick being sent as part of the Artest trade), I basically have the same sentiment. In fact, it's likely he's not even being considered a rotation player. Just depth in case of injury of unexpectedly bad play.

In the end like most other Morey minimum signings, this is a typical no-risk/some-reward type of move.

2. haven

haven Member

I'm with BimaThug and Meh (and others). There's precious little downside, and Casspi has demonstrable range. The Rockets aren't asking him to be a starter; they want him to stretch the court when he comes off the bench. That's his ideal role.

3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

+1.

My sentiments exactly.... WHERE is the downside??

IIRC Casspi was a pretty darn good shooter and a rookie sensation (for awhile) in Sac-town. If he rediscovers that mojo, H-town gets another steal.:grin:

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

None.

The Rockets, like most other NBA teams, has to fill out several spots at the end of the roster while offering players minimal salary and no guarantee for minutes. Casspi hasn't had a very good NBA career so far, but he's as good as you can get for one of these spots. I'd rather take a chance that he can turn into a decent role player (like Corey Brewer did) than giving that salary to, say, a totally unproven Tim Ohlbrecht or an way over the hill Juwan Howard.

Yes, guys sometimes take less money to play on a better team. However, you won't find enough Francisco Garcias in the world willing to take minimum salaries even to play for a contender.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Bima, what are the scenarios and chances the Rockets can get some room to give Canaan a Parson's type contract or are they almost assuredly going to be hamstrung into having to go with the minimum and hoping they can extend it by guaranteeing more money?

Agree on Casspi and Garcia.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

He will mainly play at PF.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Your answer can be found here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8095197&postcount=257

8. SunsRocketsfan

Ahh that explains why you are such a cap genius. ;)

And true. Low risk and potential solid contributor...i just know of casspi when someone defaced his mural in sacramento..

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't care for him.

Hope we get a starter soon.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. In my opinion, there is no downside, and decent upside if he plays as well as he's capable of playing. Casspi deserves a chance to show what he can do this season, and who knows? We just might be glad he's here. As for Casspi taking anyone's "spot," did people seriously believe we would have everyone back this season who played for us last year? That we were able to resign Garcia is something more than a minor miracle, and a complement to the coaching staff, the players, and Morey, who not only talked Garcia into doing the deal, but got Dwight, which might have made the difference. Cisco just liked being here, and now he should have a larger role, and a nice contract at season's end.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

It must really suck to be a Casspi only fan, lol. It's obvious that a lot of you have never seen this scrub play. I hope this guy never gets to sniff the court. I've had the misfortune of watching him play in Sacramento and Cleveland and he was terrible. His defense is terrible. The guy can't guard a chair. He's physically weak and gets outmuscled by opposing players. On offense, shooting is his only strength, but he can't even do that well. Rockets would have been better off saving the money or targeting somebody else.

The downside, for those wondering, is that he actually gets playing time.

It's sad, but true. I have no fans. :(

Hopefully he never plays at all.

#431 Kwame, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

We got a young, high energy guy who can run the floor, shoot the three, and finish strong at the rim on the cheap? Sounds good to me. We love to run and people are going to be wide open all day next year.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Peja was huge for Dallas when they got a ring. HUGE nuts...

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Don't sleep on this guy. He was a pretty damn good role player in Sacramento. Solid 3pt shooter and a very good on ball defender.This is a very underrated signing.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't like this move, sorry.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Really?

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Typical morey move. signs a guy who people were sleeping on and watch him thrive.

19. b0ng

b0ng New Member

Is Casspi the first Israeli player in the NBA?

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, did the same with Dragic trade, Lowry trade, and Delfino signing.