1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dwight Howard gushed about Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Star

Star Member

I have a question, why Hakeem never want to be a coach?

Hakeem > McHale right?

2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

KMac's coaching wins are going to go up. I want to see the Las Vegas odds on this.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dream is the best Center of all times. ALL TIMES. But not really the beat Englishist. It's difficult to understand him, even if you fockass.

2 people like this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

I remember Barkley saying back in April that if Howard wound up with the Rockets that McHale would help his low post game big time. Barkley also said McHale was the toughest player he faced defensively. Working with Hakeem is going to help as well. Up to this point he's only had a few sessions with him.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

No it's overrate d. It's made Doc Rivers a quality coach.

The thibs and Pops are the coaches we want.

When Spurs dynasty over, come here Pop.

6. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Mchale's dilemma.

Should I do

1)ISO for Harden, or 2)ISO for Howard

7. jocar

jocar Member

3). Trade Lin so CF doesn't have to see the same posters repeat the same comments in every damn thread.

1 person likes this.
  8. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

I've taken my shots at McHale over the season, but got to give credit where credit is due. He helped land us the big fish, now if only he could teach Dwight how to operate on the block like he did...

I got issues about McHale's play-calling, timeout usage and substitution patterns but the players love him (yes, even Jeremy Lin), he helped get Dwight and he did coach us to the playoffs.

As long as he keeps Harden's minutes in check (we all saw what happened to James as the season wore on) then I'm good. With Howard on board, that should be much easier next season.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was really wondering the same thing.

An added bonus of having McHale: he played on a true superteam with several players who could be or had been #1 options, so he knows that territory really, really well.

What I like best about Dwight praising McHale is that, each time, I hear a little stab at Kobe. :grin: Even in his tweets, he mentioned learning from mchale and hakeem (champions, hint hint, since Kobe is not the only one). He also thanked "Laker fans" but not the team at all. LOL.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Religion and business owns Hakeem. At his age, it is pretty tough to go fasting for a month in a NBA season. Hakeem just started a business around Clear Lake and he makes more money doing personal workouts like Andre Drummond, who he will be working with.

11. haven

haven Member

I'm with those who think the main advantages conferred by McHale are not visible during games. But, as fans, that's all we can see. I think the criticisms of him are very fair; but, when evaluating him in the future, I hope we don't forget contributions like this.

Still, I am interested to see whether McHale actually has any discernible effect on Howard's post-game. Now if only we can get a post-tutor exclusivity contract with Hakeem...

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The problem is, NOBODY will ever be able to learn to do what Hakeem did. Hakeem was ONE-OF-A-KIND. Watching guys like Lebron, Kobe, Dwight, etc. trying to replicate a 50 YEAR OLD'S instruction is laughable. (mainly because Hakeem looks more fluid at 50 then these guys do in their prime)

What Hakeem does/did is just natural to him. Its like asking Mozart to teach his students to be like him. Its like asking Picasso to teach somebody to paint like him. Sure, you can get some pointers here/there, but Hakeem could never pass on what he knows/knew because a lot of it is his instinct. Hell, he had more post moves in COLLEGE as a raw UH player than Dwight has thus far.

As far as Mchale's backgroud... watch the below video. His moves are largely simple, based on strict fundamentals, but should be teachable and extremely effective. Kevin didn't have the speed/athleticism of Hakeem, but he succeeded by following patterns... feeling the contact and countering... and then changing things up as the game went on.

He is absolutely one of the best low-post scorers ever, and absolutely is what Dwight needs.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wdtgUOiWHJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#72 Nick, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

But but but he's racist..

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

If Dwight is tutored by McHale, and he develops his post game...
    How good could he be? Maybe he doesn't have the footwork for Dream's moves, but Mchales moves seem so simple yet so cerebral.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The only player that I have seen recently that has moves in the same ball park of Hakeem is Al Jefferson. Too bad Al is not athletic at all, or he would be a superstar.

16. dejamike

dejamike Member

McHale the new Rudy Tomjanovich?

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

I don't like McHale as a coach at all, but you gotta love Morey's consistent long-term view. Hiring (and keeping) McHale was VERY related to his interest in getting Dwight Howard. McHale--good work!

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Very similar in many ways I believe. I think players liked, and respected Rudy and I think the same can be said for McHale. I think that's a big part of being a successful NBA coach.

20. LiveEatSleepRox

I wonder if McHale will actually force the team to run set play after set play for Howard in the post. I mean, last season he was all for the 'free flowing' style and letting Harden do hero-ball a lot of the time lol.

No matter what direction the team takes, I'm 200% excited for the new season! NEW AGE!