1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RGV Vipers on Summer League Team?

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Joe Joe, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect the Rockets will try to get some Vipers on the Summer League Team along with the young guys on NBA contracts. I see Kennedy as the top non-NBA contract Viper in the Summer League...that is if he isn't signed to an NBA contract. He has good size for a SG/SF. Decent 3 point shooter and already has the role player mentality and is a team player.

Is there anyone else from RGV that will join the Rockets in Orlando?

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

He is Parsons-lite. Can do a bit of everything like Parsons.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Probably all of them. Morey loves to roll with 40 guys on the summer league team.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There's a thread in GARM right now showing Toure Murry as being on the Summer League squad.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Honeycutt has been added as well from RGV. No Kennedy yet. I never noticed Murry at RGV.

#5 Joe Joe, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Murry used to get a lot of run in games. He almost had a quadruple-double in the Finals. If you count turnovers, he almost had a quintuple double in that game. lol. You must've been focused on the rest of the D-League all-star caliber players the Vipers kept getting. :grin:

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tended to watch the Rocket players a lot. Kennedy, Rice, goudelocke, and Ohlbrecht (before deal) were the guys that stood out to me that weren't Rockets. They did have a lot of NBA bench caliber players in my opinion.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, this coming season, assuming they're still around, it'll be interesting to see how Kennedy, Ohlbrecht, Canaan, Murry, Honeycutt, etc. step up now that Goudelocke and Rice are gone.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I did see an article from the Phillipines that one of their teams wants Kennedy, but he will be trying to make NBA first.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Don't understand why we didn't try to get DJ Kennedy on the summer league roster. We have a back-up SF spot available.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lot of experience on the team

Greg Smith, James Anderson, Jones, Patrick Beverley, Ohlbrecht, Murry, Honeycutt and Canaan paired with hopeful youngsters

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. Progs

Progs Member

Watchout for Robert Covington he is a sleeper. Legit 6'8 215 Sf who can shoot and play defense.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From the limited I've seen of Covington, he looked more like stretch 4 than 3

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/df-ryg3An2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Rockets need to keep up with this guy. He was doing well on the SL team. The Vipers could sure use a player like him again.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks to his name, he will be honey-cut again.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Regarding Tyler Honeycutt, I would not be at all surprised if the Rockets extend him a one- or two-year deal with little or no guarantee. (I'm sure he's holding out for more. He's no Jordan Henriquez in that regard.)

If Robert Covington makes the Rockets' final 15-man squad, then the Vipers could have exclusive D-League rights to Honeycutt, B.J. Young and Henriquez (the maximum of 3 players cut from a parent's training camp for which such exclusive rights can be claimed).

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Do Vipers have any rights to him based on him being a Viper last season?

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

D'oh! Yeah, that's right. The Vipers have Honeycutt's "Returning Player Rights", which actually TRUMP the NBA Affiliate rights mentioned above. So...no real need for the Rockets to sign Honeycutt unless they fear losing him to another NBA team. Even if another NBA team signs Honeycutt but cuts him in training camp, the Vipers would still have priority among D-League teams to sign him as a Returning Player.