1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jason330i

jason330i Member

i'm gonna say the opposite. once howard gives his verbal agreement, lin and asik are gone.

2. ILoveWhiteGirls

3. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

He implied that there was NO such request!

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What if....the "source" that is claiming Howard demanded a third star was wrong?

Like I said previously, on this I believe Morey over some random source.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'll trust our GM over twitter. But I'll take it with a grain of salt. He cant/isn't really going to say that much given the cards are still on the table.

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Morey is just being a salesman. I remember Morey said he wasn't going to do anything at the trading deadline this past season, or wasn't planning on doing anything then PPat, Morris, Aldrich and T.Douglas gone. For sure, we will take a beating if T.Robinson does not equal to Dwight Howard, but plan B is going to be pretty good. Look at how many free-agents are still out there.

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

Because it was 520am Los Angeles time.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What would he accomplish by being deceitful on this?

Howard knows what he said in the meetings, he knows what Morey said.....if Morey were to mis-represent what Howard said in the meeting wouldn't that send the wrong signal to Dwight.....it would tell him Morey was a two-faced liar which would run him off quicker than asking him to play in Canada.

1 person likes this.
  9. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I have no doubt Lin and Asik will be moved if necessary, but you don't do it prior to signing Dwight. The questionable part of Deek's tweet is when he said Morey is looking to dump salary, Beverly is better than Lin, and the management knows it.

TRob was the salary dump. If Lin was shopped, it seems like management was looking for a STARTING CALIBER point guard in return...which is contrary to management's belief in Bev.

We all know Morey lies to the press, but why are we so quick to believe Deek's sources? What do other GM's have to gain for leaking this info? Perhaps Mark Cuban leaked this "news" to distract Morey...

10. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

If he's going for josh smith. He got no choice again but to trade Asik and Lin.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Asik is much more likely to be traded than Lin, especially in light of the fact that Chris Paul is not available.

1. Asik has higher trade value than Lin.
    2. Despite what Morey said, Asik is still a very big luxury as a backup. Lin is not a luxury unless you believe Beverley is a better player.

I really hope what Morey said about keep them both was true. But as most know, we can't trust that at all.

12. kturner77

kturner77 Member

-Host: Dwight is plan A. If you don't get Dwight would you try to float the cap space? No long term deal? Or is good plan B out there?

-Daryl: Couple of things. If we don't get Dwight we will be HURT. We would NOT have done TROB deal. We've gambled on Dwight. We are waiting on him and missing other moves in free agency, but we are fully committed to bringing Dwight here.

-Host: Recap: Most important thing you said is that Jeremy Lin and Omer are not available. Only last resort if S&T to get dwight?

-Daryl: No sign and trade to get Dwight. Lakers are not interested in doing that. We have the room to sign him on the 10th and we hope he goes our direction.

I listened to the entire interview, but when was this part said?

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The only truth is "we'll never know".

But I'm inclined to believe Morey to a certain extent. First he never said TRob is untradable. Never.

He also never said he wouldn't trade Lin/Asik. Only Harden, and Parsons (at this stage, due to his contract). We will never know for sure whether he explored Lin/Asik trades, or other GMs called him knowing the Rockets current situation/plans (very transparent).

I also think he makes very clear points regarding both Lin/Asik. Asik probably has more value playing 15-20 min a game at back-up 5 than a second tier PF. Lin has value on the China angle that Howard appreciates (global brand).

So, technically I'm inclined to believe him to a certain extent. No matter how good he talks up his players, he has always said he'll continue to upgrade.

The only thing is, will he get something that is a slam dunk upgrade?

14. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

comeon not like the Trob trade was a surprise. It was rather straight forward without rumours.

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

as clutch stated. the recording of interview was cut off . Can we have a full recording someone?

1 person likes this.
  16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Morey said he doesn't expect anything to go down. Morris for a 2nd round pick wasn't a big deal, and we all know many things fell together for the TRob deal, and the Kings weren't actively shipping him (no other team knew of the deal).

These things very frequently happen at the last minute, just like nobody expected Harden to be available less than a week before the season opener.

17. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Didn't he curse on air? Lol. Bet the radio station is nervous...

18. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think Clutchfan's data center would explode if that happened

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

is there more to the interview? it seems to cutoff at the end

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Which TRob deal was Daryl talking about? Trading for him or trading him away?

If it is the latter, then why wouldn't they just wait until Dwight makes a decision to agree to the trade? Perhaps the market will get worse after Dwight decides if teams know for sure that HOU will need the cap room. If the trade really is favorable to Portland, it would remain so a week or two later, no? They can't really formally make the deal until July 10 anyway.