1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Rockets make Asik, Lin available in trade talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i didn't go through every post on this thread. somehow, ppl brought up rondo. no matter if feasible or not to get rondo, here is my view on rondo under rox uniform. in the middle of the season, rox probably have to make a decision on who they should keep, rondo or mchale.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

dunno man if i were to see him say anything in a mean way to chandler i might kill him....

:p

4. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Wonder if lin will still be here. If dwight signs we need shooters.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

NOBODY FKS WITH PARSONS!!!!! cept Lin

6. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

can you explain why?

his assist #"s aren't really impressive b/c he doesn't lead good offenses despite having good enough offensive teammates. his teams are among the worst in the nba offensively every year he's taken over as the "man."

and he's arguably the worst shooter at the pg position in the nba. that's a huge detriment to a team that relies on spacing...especially around a ball dominant sg that's light years better as an offensive player.

and yes, he's good defensively and on the boards. but we were already top 3 in drb%. and the celtics were like one of the worst rebounding teams every year too, lol. and defensively, he's an improvement, but not so much so (because pg's don't have that much impact and both lin/bev are good defenders too, and he's not oen of those pg's that are truly big enough to defend 2-guards too).

so i mean, why do we have to take him. he's not that quality a caliber player. he doesn't fit at all, and doesn't really provide this team with more benefits than weaknesses

7. hali

hali Member

You can, but the point is a chance for Howard to fight championship this year (which Laker can not compete), and chance for that in the future with the current foundation (which Mav can not compete). Since if you got Howard, you are looking at Window of opportunity as of now.

Future is easy, you have all young players in this team.

A chance to fight now requires established players that compliment Harden and Howard's game. But after signing Howard, Rocket are at cap, to get better, they have to trade their assests. Lin and Asik's contract is big enough to get players with close to max (or as main trading package with extra one or 2 players). So if Asik and Lin can fetch better parts that compliment Howard and Harden on paper, it is a better use.

You will need to be able return a decent PF or few good rotation players and a pg that are decent defender and good in 3 pt (so you can have Harden control majority of the time but occ. have pg relieves him when the other team trap or double him and still have a play maker or when he takes break).

If you just fetch players that needs a lot of work to make this team work, than your only chance to improve the team will be after you give Parson (or assume some other player that pan out) big contract and use him as trading assest. Which will be 2 years from now.

You are looking at pg that will be your 3rd or 4th option, in that case, Rondo may not be good although his defense probable is best around pg that currently floating can be traded. Jose Calderon prob is better than Greivis Vasquez (although with his contract, I would expect NO kept him).

8. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, colin cowherd just called Lin the equivalent of Tebow. brutal.

9. Sanity2disChaos

An all-star trash............WOW a lil strong on the dislike of a top 5 guard in the NBA....

For a guy that can't shoot he has had a hell of a career....Last time i checked Lin wasnt knocking down the 3 on a consistent basis:rolleyes:

If I have to decide on Rondo and Lin....its Rondo and that is a no-brainer.

10. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I might care about that more if half of his opinions weren't garbage.

11. yonasb

yonasb Member

Why on earth would anyone choose Lin over Rondo?

athleticism - Rondo > Lin
    iq - rondo ≥ lin
    offense - rondo > lin
    defense - rondo > lin

overall - not even close

the only reason why i would ever invest in a player like lin is to make some international money. the rockets already cashed that opportunity.

12. Sanity2disChaos

This ^^^^^ is what I am saying......

13. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

rondo is a top 5 GUARD in the nba? what world do you live in?

cp3, harden, kobe, wade, curry, parker, irving, rose, deron, westbrook are all better. i think conley is better (as good d, better shooting on O). i actually think rubio is a better defender than rondo. lawson is inconsistent, but he's easily better offensively too. holiday is debatable. i think wall will be better than him next season too.

nobody still explains to me this great impact rondo has. they just say "omgz look at the assists and rebounds, lolol. he's a great 2wayz player." when we've seen offensively he has no impact on the celtics. his shooting is too much a detriment to say he's a good offensive player. teams don't even respect him from mid-range. parker isn't a good comparison because he's much better at finishing at the rim and much better off the dribble mid-range shooter. rondo isn't a good offensive player. especially in a role we'd have him in where he'd be palying off the ball for stretches.

14. tefunk

tefunk Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Pistons also intent on bringing back Jose Calderon</p>&mdash; Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/statuses/351717561651576832">July 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Having Rondo and Howard on a team that's supposed to belong to Harden is a disaster waiting to happen. Never mind the disparate pieces that don't fit together. Just think of the ego clash that'll inevitably happen. All of these players rightfully think of themselves as team centerpieces, and it's already something of a risk to try making Howard, who clearly wants to go back to his Dwight-centric Orlando days, a "second superstar" to Harden, who left OKC to become a primary option, proved it last year, and will definitely not be going back again.

And now you want to throw in the league's purest PG (which means he needs the ball) who, oh by the way, can't shoot? Not to mention he has a well-earned rep for alienating teammates and coaches.

This wouldn't be so comical if the goal posts for what a Rockets PG should be weren't constantly being moved around. First, Jeremy Lin needs to get shipped out because he needs the ball too much and isn't a Curry-like shooter. Therefore, Bev needs to step in as a blue collar caretaker PG. Harden's game cannot be sacrificed at any cost because he's the team's future.

Oh what, Rondo's available? Forget everything that I just said! Bring in the most freewheeling and unpredictable PG in the league, one who will try to take over the team as he did in Boston. And let's make Harden a spot-up shooter! Even though he shouldn't have to give one micro-millimetre to accommodate Lin's game, he should totally shift his near-MVP role to that of a patient catch-and-shooter.

Rondo's not coming to the Rockets. That's a ridiculous idea. If the Rockets do end up shedding Lin and/or Asik's salaries, it won't be to load up 2 max contracts in their backcourt. Stop playing Fantasy Basketball.

16. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Hopefully they do so there's no chance to make that trade.

17. jason330i

jason330i Member

if you believe broussard, haha, lin is not going to detroit. wonder where he is going.

while it looks like asik to the hawks is possible.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

So you don't want to take into account that:
    - Rondo can't shoot 3s
    - Rondo needs ball in his hands and can't play off the ball
    - Rondo is owed nearly $13M/yr, so effectively it is Rondo over Lin + Asik and lose any chance for a semi-star PF or twin-towers?

19. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

fixed it for you

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Don't forget the fact that Rondo can't shoot FTs and does not seem to benefit team chemistry, which is a critical role for a PG. Imagine Rondo's behavior and effort level had he been relegated to Lin's role last season.