1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Deeks: Houston trying to dump Jeremy Lin, prioritize salary over basketball assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2013.

1. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I don't doubt that Jeremy was being discussed in trade talks. I wouldn't be surprised if Harden was offered if LeBron is made available. It's Morey's everyday job to do whatever to improve the team.

Having said that, the person who wrote the tweet added his own personal feelings/agenda. He used the term "dump" as if Morey would have called his "source" and say "hey, want to take Lin? I want to dump him to save some money". How does dumping an "absolute cash cow" save you money? Sounds like another ABJ to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol what kind of post is that? You are telling him to man up and admit he made the rest up when you don't even know if he made it up :confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea if he made it up, nor do I care. But you appear pretty butt hurt about it.

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nbktjmk

trade works...but I hard there was discussion with the bulls as well. Not sure how they come in play.

We role out with

Bev
    harden
    Parsons
    Aldridge
    Asik

4. Sham

Sham Member

I was asked directly for an opinion and responded as such. It can't be that difficult to disassociate the opinion from the news, else you wouldn't have just done it. I am entirely comfortable with giving both.

To those re: the spike - there is a SALARY spike, not a CAP spike. As you are all aware, Lin (and Asik) has a contract that pays $8.3whateveritis flat across the three years of its duration. Yet in terms of what they actually get paid each season, it was $5 million this year, $5.225 million next year, and then th erest (as-near-as-is-$15 mil) in 2014/15. Therein lies the salary spike - the money whichever franchise owns them at the time will be giving them is not the same as their cap hit.

It is that to which I referred, and only ever referred. "Cap number" and "actual salary" are referred to and thought of as interchangable and synonymous, because, 98% of the time, they are. But Lin and Asik are exceptions to the rule, and thus the distinction matters. I took care to establish which one I meant so hopefully we now have clarity on that issue.

5. Sham

Sham Member

I appreciate your doubts and why you have them, and yet I cannot assuage them, other than to reaffirm that I have not made up a single thing. I never have and I never will.

6. pumbaa

pumbaa Member

so you said it doesn't spike the cap but it prohibits Dwight?

because It spikes the salary? why does the salary matters? isn't Lin a ABSOLUTE cash cow? i am confused[/QUOTE]

good questions. I am confused by this too:confused:

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

wow i hope jeremy lin is traded ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Is it possible the Rocket's FO think Beverly is better, it's possible, though extremely unlikely considering that Morey said Lin was 3rd in getting wins for the Rockets behind Harden and Asik.

I don't see any scenario where they would say this openly if they were trying to sell Lin, surely they'd be talking him up. 'We think he's great, he love him, any team would be lucky to have him, but we have harden who can playmake, a decent backup in beverely, and the cap space allows us the potential of a third superstar.'

That sounds like a selling pitch, as opposed to... 'Hey, take this guy off our hands, he's worse than our 1st year backup.'

I'm going to go ahead and call you a liar.

9. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

For that part, he said he was asked his opinion and gave it.

Which is of course bull****. "Do the Rockets think Beverly is better than Lin" isn't something you have an opinion about. Either it's true, or you're just blowing wind with speculation. Maybe if he said your source said Morey for certain did or did not want a PG in return for Lin, he'd have at least something to stand on.

10. jason330i

jason330i Member

it would be interesting to know who the other team(s) were. can you at least tell us which division?

11. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Exactly.

Either he's reporting facts or he's giving his opinion...

We've had an entire thread of constant back and forth over what this guy basically pulled out of his ass.

If he had just said, 'Rocket's looking to trade lin to clear cap space,' people would be like... 'well DUH.' So he just gives 'his opinion' on what he knows is a polarising subject... and then claims to not be doing it for attention but 'telling it like it is.'

What a joker.

12. megastahr

so you think we are dealing lin, trob, and asik for Aldridge then? :cool:

13. Sham

Sham Member

You'e absolutely right that the former is what would likely happen. But I don't see why you're so adamant that I insisted on verbiage like the latter. I didn't. This is your own construct that you're holding against me; again, I can only say what I said before, which is that part of the reasn they're looking to move Lin is because they know how good Beverley is. To go from that to your misquote is quite the extreme, and biased, leap.

Houston's opinion of Lin is, like any team's opinion of any player, best evidenced through their conduct. As of right now, they are not merely taking calls on Lin, but making them. This was the news that I put out, and I put it out because I think it IS news. Don't want so badly for me to be wrong that you misinterpret what I say. All I said was that they're asking after Lin deals, partly for financial reasons (they CAN pay him, but they don't want to), and partly because of Beverley.

Because they really are.

2 people like this.
  14. Sham

Sham Member

Really don't see it as an either/or, sir. Had I muddled the two, you are right that this would be misleading. But I didn't. I said how the situation was, then responded to a direct question asking for my opinion. Even prefixed it with "I think" to add clarity.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I can see them sending out Rondo now regardless of if he asks or not. They are blowing this up. Personally I'd do Lin + TRob + White + DMo for Rondo. That would free up 3.756 (slightly more than a TRob dump). That gives Boston Lin to keep the crowds coming during the rebuild (allowing him to freelance), last year's #5 pick and 2 more young 1st round picks to grow.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That would be a dream but would never happen. Blazers have Lillard and just drafted McCullom. Lin would just be redundant.

17. megastahr

3 team trades...I am sure they can flip lin to a team in need of PG/marketing boost plus include 3 million to cover his salary hike in 2014

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Now I feel bad for assuming the name Mark's Deek in chat last night for an hour or so.

:(

Sorry Mark.

Thanks for coming on here to say your piece though. I appreciate the attempt to clarify and explain yourself when it wasn't even necessary for you to do so.

1 person likes this.
  19. megastahr

hey some guy called on 610 this morning...claimed to have intel that Howard and Josh Smith have both already decided to come here. That the rockets already are making plans to move lin as a result.

just passin what i heard

20. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Dear Mark: With all due respect, you're not good at information, scouting, analysis, and communications. Just be an avid fan, enjoy the games, and keep your day job.