1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets select Isaiah Canaan with the 34th pick of the 2013 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 27, 2013.

?

Do you like the Rockets selection of Isaiah Canaan with pick 34?

1. YES

485 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. NO

110 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

10 pages and these are the only people knocking the trade hard? Looks like people are FINALLY learning to give Morey the benefit of the doubt on these type picks.

I found Ricky Ledo enticing - but usually I find that Morey knows better than I do.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Canaan on being drafted by Rockets &quot;I was so hyped 2 see my name come across the board.Just glad to be a part of the Houston Rockets&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/350467779004076032">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Canaan on being drafted by the Rockets:&quot;You work so hard to get there &amp; to finally hear your name called u can't ask 4 anything else&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/350468221251493888">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Canaan on being drafted by the Rockets:&quot;You work so hard to get there &amp; to finally hear your name called u can't ask 4 anything else&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/350468221251493888">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

4. munco

munco Member

Looks like he has some game!

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude has a nasty handle, and a nasty crossover...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Guard Isaiah Canaan, drafted by the Rockets, on getting to play w/ James Harden: &quot;I love his game. He has some moves that I'm trying to get&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/350469393194561537">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The pick has the potential to be good, it really depends on how he meshes with what the coaches want to use him as.

The guy has the talent and potential to be a Steve Kerr in the NBA, but he has the mindset and played in college more like a Steve Francis type of player -- and he just doesn't have the athleticism to do that as a professional -- hell, he was pretty inefficient doing that as a college player, which is why he fell.

If you look how he shot as an underclassman, when he had a smaller part of the offense and handled the ball less and spotted up more, he was a stat geeks wet dream. Now that he will once again be a role player, if he accepts coaching and embraces that role, he could be a great rotation player in the NBA for the next 10 years. If he is uncoachable and dead set on proving to everyone he is an elite PG, then he will be D League fodder and on the international circuit in a year or two.

Edit -- also, I know he is stronger, quicker and has better handles than Kerr -- but his use of those skills create a lot of inefficient possessions, and there will always be players on his team in the NBA better at doing those things than he is (unlike in college). His NBA level skill on day one is knocking down shots from all over the three point arc.

9. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Already rockin' the eurostep

10. liveguy

liveguy Member

I wasn't in the slightest serious with my post....

I like the kid...

Value pick.

Roll the dice and see what happens.

No reason not to shoot for the stars at that point.

Anyone saying he has no handle is buggin the ***** out.

Clearly, he does.

11. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Canaan the barbarian? no?

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

sorry if someone already posted
    [​IMG]

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

SHOOTING GUARD in a Point Guard's Body. Can break down defenses but doesn't pass to make his teammates better.

14. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I was hoping to get Glen Rice, but Canaan looks like the real deal too. We'll see. We needed a wing though.

15. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Another boring draft night for us! :rolleyes:

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I hope he turns out well. I wouldn't get too hung up on his size. He has the exact same physical measurements and athletic test results as Ty Lawson. He's two inches taller than Isaiah Thomas. Both are quality NBA players. His shooting should be fun to watch.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

My one worry is his passing. I think though at worst, he will have a Gary Neal type role with us

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In the biblical land of Canaan

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Canaan on being drafted: &quot;It was amazing to see my name across the board...to be a part of a great organization.&quot;</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/statuses/350473729211502592">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Canaan: &quot;I'm a winner...and will be a great asset to the team. I'm going to do whatever I can to help the team.&quot;</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/statuses/350474026617020416">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

20. liveguy

liveguy Member

Bench spark.

Instant offense (hopefully).

Killer shot at opportune times.

Nothing wrong with that.