1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley the next MJ??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Nov 3, 2000.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

OK probably not, but the more I watch him the more I think he could really be a dominant player. He has good ball handling skills, has the quickness to take ANYONE off the dribble, has developed a sweet mid-range jump shot and can run the offense too. This is only his second full year in the league and he has progressed and matured so much for a second round pick. Like any young player, he still has some things to learn about the NBA game, but he is taking it all in and his game reflects it.

Also, IMO he will be better than Francis.

------------------
    Only in America....do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited November 03, 2000).]

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. Erin

Erin Member

Cuttino's biggest problem has always been his shot selection. If he can become more proficient at understanding what a good shot is, he'll really be tough. Coincidentally, he has done much better with that area of his game this year. He still tosses up the occasional "what the HELL are you doing, Cuttino?" shot, but not near as much as he has in the past.

------------------

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

All of Cuttino's shots are good shots.....just ask him yourself!

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've said it before, and i'll say it again:

when discussing cuttino mobley, i have one word for him - STAR.

everyone seems to think that vancouver demanded dickerson over mobley. i think it was the other way around. i think houston demanded keeping mobley. dickie never had, and IMO, never will have the fire of cuttino. and it is that fire which drives ballers like cuttino beyond the derrick coleman range of nba-talented-underachieving-disappointing-schmucks.

------------------
    Mobley and Francis ...are not the two best players on the team.

- Rockeem 11/2/2000

6. stringthing

stringthing Member

hey verse,

man you said it...Cat has that scorers mentality....You can not teach it. I remember watching Finley when he first arrived on the scene and thinking the same thing.

------------------

7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I still would rather have number 8 over number 5.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

[This message has been edited by Scarface (edited November 03, 2000).]

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

In comparing Dickerson and Cat, I've watched a good deal of Vancouver's 1st two games, and even though Dickerson doesn't show the emotion that Cat does, he definately looks for his shot and has all the confidence in the world. He struggled with his shot in the first game a lot, but kept taking it and hit some key baskets and free throws at the end to help win the game. I like Cat, but if for some reason we didn't have him, I sure wouldn't mind having Dickerson. It will be a few more years before anyone can really say who will be the best.

------------------

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

mobley over francis...HELL NO. Francis is our front man and i seriously doubt that cuttino will overtake him.

10. Miggidy Markell

Exactly! Mabley will be a great player but will never be the player Francis will be! I don't think of Mobley to be a constant tripple-double threat but I do see that in Francis. Francis in a couple years time will take over Jordan as THE best player ever!!!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

11. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

I have always said that Cuttino will be a superstar along with Steve Francis and could happen as soon as this year.

Also right now, even though this is Steve's team, with the game on the line I would rather have the ball in Mobley's hand. He will either blow by his man, have a wide open jump for respect of his first step, or he will get fouled. I have been a Cuttino fan since he came to H-town. I am always talking noise to my Faker friends on how no one can stop him one-one and sometimes one-on two. He only stops himself. Every time he touches the ball I scream "LAYUP".

He will make the All-Star in the next two years. Count on it.

MM - I think CAT will be as equally important as Francis. Their relationship will be like Dumars was to Isiah Thomas.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

12. AllMightyHakeem

Sorry Cat, but I'd go with Dickerson any day of the week. No contest.

------------------

13. TB3

TB3 Member

I too would rather have Dickerson than Mobley. Dickerson will be a defensive all star one day, imo.

------------------
    http://home.swbell.net/rkb3/hr.html = Live Rockets Chat

14. Colby

Colby Member

Dickerson over Mobley. Tricky Dick can shoot the rock. He also plays great defense and no one can run him down on the fast break. Tricky is a great pure 2.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

15. Sane

Sane Member

ok guys, look at it this way, Kobe shut down Dickerson and held him to five points last night....Kobe CANNOT do that to mobley.... AND, we have another Dickerson in Anderson..

------------------

16. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I'm not so sure he CAN'T do that to Mobley...we'll find out Tuesday.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

17. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Sane, Slcrocket,

Kobe will not be able to do that against Cuttino. The only person that can stop Cuttino is himself, and trying to go against three other players.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

18. verse

ok, time for an absurd analogy (but somewhat appropo):

dickerson's game is patterned more towards a reggie miller

mobley's game is patterned moreso towards a michael jordan

before you break out the "are you crazy posts... i'm not saying that EITHER player has the ability to become reggie or mj - only that their games are patterned after those players. and i'd rather have a creating sg who can also shoot and can't be stopped 1 on 1 than a sg who is almost completely reliant on screens and his pg to get his points.

watch...i'd bet anyone on here that kobe couldn't dream of holding cuttino to 5 points....

------------------

- Rockeem 11/2/2000

19. AllMightyHakeem

You people are crazy if you honestly think Kobe can't shut down the cat. First of all, Phil likes to throw Kobe on Stevie, just to mess things up. But if you really believe that Kobe can't hold cutino then you need to do yourself a favor and quit posting this type of garbage here. I know this is a Rockets community, but we can't be having crackers like you tryin to live these pipe dreams of yours. Stop with the nonsense please.

------------------

20. verse

oh yea. you're bright.

[​IMG]

------------------

- Rockeem 11/2/2000