1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tacoma Rocket, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Chamillionaire

terrible thread. just terrible.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Actually, can we do that? Say if Love or LMA available and Asik somehow developed into a solid offensive player, can we trade Howard this year for Love or LMA?

3. Big Red Machine

Again, comprehension fails you.

1) Didn't say trade all of them.

2) Didn't say trade only them.

4. Red&BlackPudman

And you most certainly are a douche with a small piece. Bring D12 to the H!

5. Big Red Machine

Very similar to the rapper in your username.

6. Big Red Machine

You're certainly an expert on douches and small pieces.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Soooo who are you going to trade? You envision a lineup of Asik/Aldridge/Parsons/Harden...and you said you can stomach Lin so I guess he'll be starting point guard. So that means the other players are expendable. But now you're telling me you don't mean to trade all of them or only them...so does that mean you're going to package Asik, Lin, and/or Parsons for Aldridge? But that goes against your envisioned lineup.....soooo...what are you saying? I'm seriously trying to understand your logic and hey maybe I AM an idiot. Give me a couple of scenarios with the combinations of our current roster that could get us Aldridge. I'm all ears because I think you're right that comprehension is failing me because what you wrote is incomprehensible. Unless another member can draw me a picture. Help guys?

8. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

What the f*&k are you talking about? He has had as much success as LeBron and Kobe did without other perennial all-stars to play with. D12 made it to the Finals with an epileptic midget at PG and Rashard Lewis making $119 million dollars as the starting SF. The other starters besides D12 in that playoff run were Rafer Alston, Pietrus, Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu. If you consider that decent talent that he didn't lead to much postseason success than you really, well your head made be too far inserted to ever pull it free so you can see clearly.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't get caught up in the back and forth. It ruins the thread. Please, continue making your point.

10. Big Red Machine

I clearly said I was unsure about Lin. But that's not surprising, you can barely read.

You could conceivably get Aldridge for a combination of Lin, Robinson, D-Mo/Jones, 2 1st rounders, right?

Lin's cap number is 8 million. Robinson's will be like 4 million. D-Mo/Jones' number will be like 2 million. That's pretty close to Aldridge's salary, right?

Again, this is assuming all Rocket players involved are able to prove themselves valuable on the court instead of just being "young assets" like they are now.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Big Red Machine on a defensive post rampage. Gotta go down with the ship I suppose.

12. Red&BlackPudman

False. You are! And I'm certainly not an idiot when it comes to knowing who the best Center in the NBA is when put in the right situation. Dwight has been on an Orlando team with ZERO help and took them to the finals. Then, he was on a roster in Hollywood with a million distractions and the wrong system. I think when put on the Rockets he can flourish with a Coach who is a hall of fame big and young players who enjoy playing with each other. The moral is high in Houston and if you give Dwight positivity he can be an absolute beast.

This thread is not very smart and there are a million others that are not either. We've been the 8th and 9th seed for too long Small Red Balls!

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

And Aldridge has led his team where? Howard at least got his team to the finals.

14. Big Red Machine

Dwight Howard went to the Finals 4 years ago. Well before he became the cancer he clearly is now. There were 3 players on that team who averaged 17 or more PPG OUTSIDE of Dwight Howard. He had decent talent on that team. It's really undeniable. Championship talent? Clearly not. But he had help. He wasn't out there doing it himself.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Most of your concerns are addressed in the prior 7 pages of this thread, but there are some misconceptions I will clear up here.

1) We do not need to give up Asik for Dwight. We may, if Morey chooses to later, but that is not a FINANCIAL consideration. That'd be for whatever reason Morey decides to move any of our players. Adding Dwight merely gives him more flexibility to move Asik for value, should he choose to do so. Having more options at hand is better than not.

2) You don't like the other alternatives on the market...so what are we wasting? We literally only use like 2 things on acquiring Dwight: TRob and cap space, which "expires" at the end of next offseason anyways. So again, you have to look at ALTERNATIVES and what we're "paying." His contract for $20.5M is high, but we have the caproom for it without giving up assets outside of cap space that you yourself said shouldn't be spent on any other player (and losing TRob for a pick).

If I had $5 that was going to disappear tomorrow, you bet your ass I would spend it today on the best and most expensive item available to me today, even if it cost all 5 of my dollars, and even if the item has its flaws.

3) Getting LMA while keeping Harden, Parsons and Asik is pretty much impossible. If we were talking about a straight up acquisition of LMA or Dwight, I would choose LMA for SURE. I think most in CF would -- but guess what, that isn't an option. Not only would POR have to agree to trade w/ us, we have to give up PLAYER assets that are GOOD to get LMA, whereas again, Dwight only pretty much costs us CAP space. Shoot, we could sign Dwight and trade for LMA and that'd make more sense as we convert our cap space asset into a more valuable asset (Dwight Howard the player).

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So what are the Blazers going to do with Lin and his $8 million contract when the have Rookie of the Year point guard Damian Lillard entrenched at the same position Lin plays?

17. skyline07

skyline07 Member

wow get off this board please

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'll alert the media.

19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing.

20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

POR would never agree to this deal unless a third team that coveted Lin was involved. Last thing POR wants is Lin's $8M on their books to play 6th man.

Also, such a trade could be made and we would still conceivably have room to sign Dwight. Food for thought. I'd make this deal any day of the week, but POR would never go for it.