1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets/Celtics complete 'blockbuster' trade for Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 27, 2013.

1. Chamillionaire

3 1st round picks. wow. that's too much. maybe 1 1st round and 2 2nd rounders.

But KG and PP both have maybe 2 years left in the tank so if they give you consistent minutes, you know they'll play hard, it's probably worth it.

Lopez
    KG
    PP
    JJ
    DW

2. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Please...please..no...
    Danny please say no...

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Celtics, Nets couldn't potentially complete deal 'til moratorium ends July 10, source says. Teams need Pierce's 13-14 salary to make it work</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/350310587164667904">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Good trade for both teams of it goes down

That nets team would be crazy

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I want to see this team man. I want to see it so bad.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Has there been a washed up NBA player that Billy King hasn't overvalued/overpaid?

7. Chamillionaire

I don't think he's very good. Imagine with an owner like that and a GM like Morai. We really are lucky to have the best GM in the league.

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

The slowest and oldest team in the nba!
    :)

9. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Yep. You are right. They would be middle of the pack in the regular season, due to missed games and a 82 game season. But come playoff, they will be a top contender because the game slows down and they have defense and offense. Also depends on what the bench look like.

10. steddinotayto

They won't contend for crap considering the Nets has zero bench depth which means that the starters are all going to be logging 35+ mpg. Unless they go on cruise control in the regular season to just eek into the playoffs to save energy (which would be a bad idea considering Miami and maybe even the Bulls and Pacers can run them off the floor), I doubt they'll have anything left to go far in the playoffs.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Only Rudy T could coach that group to a title.

12. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

Or they could be like the lakers last year - old and a bad fit

13. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Same thing was said about the Spurs. Before playoffs started everyone I heard was saying "they were too old and slow". Hell say what you want, but everybody was scared of the Lakers. They didn't want to see Kobe in the playoffs.

That is why I said they will be middle of the pack. Hell they finished 4th or 5th last year in the East. And with that proposed trade, there is no way you can convince me that the new Nets wouldn't be better than the one from last year. I didn't say they would win it all, but if KG and PP can play half the way they played in Boston last year, they would have a legit shot at it.

14. steddinotayto

Did I say anything about being old or slow? I'm simply stating that it's a fact that the Nets don't have a bench that can sustain any kind of lead or momentum when that starting lineup goes out. Since you brought up the Spurs, it's common knowledge that Pop rests his Big 3 a lot and monitor their minutes judiciously. This not only helped them get deep into the playoffs but also allowed him to develop his role players like Leonard, Green, Neal, Splitter, etc. I'll be nice and say that the jury's out on Kidd as a coach but I'm willing to bet that that starting five will be ran right to the ground come playoff time. Each of those five players have had one type of injury or another and asking them to log huge minutes is a recipe for disaster.

Will that starting lineup make the playoffs? No doubt about it. Can they be a Top 4 seed? I'm not as optimistic but I don't see why not. Can they bring Brooklyn a championship like originally intended if this trade does go down? Highly unlikely.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

That would have been a hell of a starting 5, a few years ago. All of those big names, yet not one of them is even close to being able to slow down Lebron. Brooklyn needs to inquire about Boris Diaw, since they obviously don't care about the age of their roster.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Boston-Brooklyn discussions for Garnett and Pierce are serious, several team sources tell Y! &quot;Deal could get even bigger,&quot; source says.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/350323602358419457">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The deal could get bigger, as in more players going between Boston and Brooklyn.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/350324009629528064">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Celtics are discussing the possibility of including either guard Jason Terry or Courtney Lee in the package, sources tell Y! Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/350324429051543552">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

wait seriously where are they getting these first round picks, didn't they just use up 2 in the Jazz deal.

18. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

DAYum i really hope this goes through including Lee and Terry for bench depth!!

19. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

3 first round picks? A third team will almost surely have to be involved, although it still seems possible to do it without.

Available:
    2013 1st - 22nd pick
    2014 1st - Atlanta has the rights to swap picks, so I assume it can't be traded until that has been exhausted
    2015 1st - Atlanta has the rights to swap picks, same as above
    2016 2nd - LA Clippers have the right to swap

Traded:
    2013 2nd - Minnesota
    2014 2nd - Boston
    2015 2nd - Utah
    2017 2nd - Atlanta

I suppose they could give their 2013, 2015 (after exhausting obligation to Atlanta), and 2017? Either way......lol!

20. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

2015 and 2017 might be good picks considering how old this team will be,