1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets have been offered a 1st round pick for Thomas Robinson (UPDATE: So much for "imminent")

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 21, 2013.

1. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

16? Cool..... I think morey uses it in a trade, I don't think we will see that player.

but that's me keeping my fingers crossed....

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Maybe we can trade t.rob and t.jones for said 1st rd pick, and actually draft bpa... Maybe even shabazz...

But i honestly think its smart to draft A euro... Because if we do sign Dwight, we will be looking to trade for our third star... A talented euro, multiple future 1sts, asik and/or Parsons could land you a nice return in the likes of Love...

3. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

You do this deal if you think making it increases your chanes of getting Dwight Howard. I argue it does so in 2 ways.

1. Gives Dwight more confidence in Morey's ability to make necessary and smart moves. Lakers still are banking on reputation with their power vacuum in the front office with little Busses and no Jerry West. I don't know how much confidence Dwight has in Buss Jr after the D'Antoni hire and Steve Nash deal.
    2. Structurally clears out talent that doesn't fit with Dwight. T-Rob would see the floor on any roster because he is a plus rebounder. Now Donatas gets those minutes and is a better fit for Howard.

I'd left T Rob go for a future international prospect if it increased my chances of Dwight signing by 5%.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My question is if it is indeed Boston that's offering up their first rounder, how does the failed KG deal affect that? I'm sure Boston was looking for a quick piece to rebuild with, and it's on record that Ainge is really low on this draft. However, if KG remains on the C's roster, will they still want T-Rob?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah. You're right. I am just a little bummed that we aren't going for Ledo or someone like that who can play right away. I would take Adetokunbo, Dennis Schroeder or Nogueira. Hopefully we get to keep that 34th pick.

6. Sanity2disChaos

Someone should send this to dwight via Twitter. This is too funny.I lmao every time !

7. Sanity2disChaos

And like I have been saying....we will get dwight and a starting power forward as well.this is just confirmation.....

8. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Hilarious!

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Not sure what the PF correlation is. The whole point of trading T-Rob is to stash a Euro overseas.

10. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Abercombie?

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

GIANNIS ADETOKUNBO.

[​IMG]

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Yes please.

13. TheresTheDagger

All true about the 2014 draft expected to be stronger than the 2013 draft. So it kind of all comes down to what position in the draft we would get in 2013 for Robinson VS. the relative expected position of the teams we target to trade THAT pick to for THEIR 2014 pick.

All of which brings me to remind everyone that Morey's modus operandi has ALWAYS been asset accumulation to be as flexible as possible in order to strike that big deal when it finally presents itself. He's not nearly as worried about this draft or ANY future draft as he is in staying flexible with attractive assets until he lands his next big max F/A.

The draft position is always secondary to that.

1 person likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I will be a very happy camper if the Rockets get this guy. The way he plays reminds me a lot of Magic Johnson, but he's thinner and less physical. For someone who lacks experience, he has a feel for the game most 17/18 year-olds couldn't comprehend. He may grow another couple of inches and be a physical clone of Kevin Durant.

After 2-3 years gaining experience and putting some meat on the bones, he should be ready for the NBA.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Where is this rumor?

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

pick 16? yes pls. That pick might be passed on to la in a packiage with Lin and Asik.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Its called connecting the dots my friend, sit back relax and let the dominoes fall as they will...its the sequence of events soon to come:eek:

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Haha, will do. Hope you're right.

Just not seeing it yet.

19. MONON

MONON Member

I'd say yes. KG has a couple of years to play & its going to take that long for TRob to develop. Besides, what better tutor could TRob want than KG?!!

If the Celtics blog is correct with the C's #16, DraftExpress has Adetokuobo #17, Karasev #18, Schroeder #21, Gobert #23 & Nogueria #26. We would have our pick of our stash Euros.

20. TheresTheDagger

I just thought of something else.

What if Morey is shopping Robinson in the following way. Suppose he called specific GM's around the league (who he knew would be intrigued) and offered Robinson for their #1 with the agreement in place to draft whatever player that team wanted...then in turn to trade that player back to said team for a future conditional #1.

What team wouldn't take that offer? They get the guy they wanted and Robinson.

Houston gets at worst a future #1 for Robinson. In the meantime they get the cap room necessary to sign a max contract and more assets to utilize to sweeten any deal if they try to trade out a contract like Lin's.