1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

robert weintraub, another yao's critic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James23, Mar 23, 2003.

1. James23

James23 Member

after reading three of Robert Weintraub's articles written about yao, i have come to conclusion that this man really dislikes yao's game or yao the person. he also wants him to fail. i just think you guys should read these articles. if not, just read parts of articles that i pulled out.

Chinese Chuckers
    By Robert Weintraub
    Posted Friday, May 18, 2001, at 5:30 PM PT
    http://slate.msn.com/id/106212/

The best thing that can be said about Yao is that he's only 20, which means he still has plenty of time to improve his game. His footwork is awkward to the point of clumsiness, he has little or no post game, he doesn't have a soft shooting touch, and he combines a Mr. Punyverse physique with a lack of aggressiveness. Essentially, he's Ralph Sampson without the experience of big-time competition. The last thing Yao needs at this stage is more time in China, where his main competition next season will come from a handful of Americans that couldn't make it in the Philippines leagues.
    ==============================================

The Tao of Yao
    How good is the NBA's next Chinese import?
    By Robert Weintraub
    Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 12:58 PM PT
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2066122/

But he'll never approach Rik Smits' achievements, such as they were. He'll get some points and blocks simply by virtue of being longer than anyone else, but I must ask the essential question: Is that what you want of a top draft choice?
    =============================================

He's a Bust! No, Wait; He's the Next Shaq!
    How Yao Ming's critics turned into his biggest fans.
    By Robert Weintraub
    Posted Friday, January 17, 2003, at 9:30 AM PT
    http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2077109

"And while the Rookie of the Year award is already engraved with Yao's name, he doesn't deserve to win it. At 20, Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire is a far more advanced player. His ferocious dunks make the ESPN highlights, but it's his spacing and non-stop movement that make him so hard to guard. Yao found this out first-hand Wednesday when Stoudemire dropped 24 points and 13 rebounds on the Rockets, including an in-your-face dunk on big man; Yao settled for a quiet 11 points and seven boards. If only Stoudemire could sell mobile phones to 1.2 billion Chinese, he'd have a shot at beating Yao for the year-end hardware."

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

But yet I guess it is a little difficult to find this guy's reset of what happened the second time the Suns played in Houston, you know, when Yao took over in the 4th quarter with clutch shots, and Stoudamire missed critical free throws.

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

you know, there is a dease called "Foot In The Mouth"
    Weintraub probably has a severe case of "STINKY Foot In The Mouth" that is causing him to refuse to see the reality.

:p

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Don't worry. Robert Weintraub will enter the Hall of SHAME. ;)

5. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

I read somewhere Weintraub is an expert on B-Ball in Asia which makes it strange that he goes off so negatively on the biggest player to come out of Asia ever. Must be some deep background to explain the lack of love for the big guy. I guess there will always be people like him and Tom (Tool Time) Tolbert who get into a rant against Yao and have a hard time letting go despite all the proof to contrary.

6. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

lol... let's throw a party for it at Jillians whenever it happens.:rolleyes:

7. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I hate that dude big time. He probably still thinks Yao sucks. How about he asks GMs who they would rather have. According to SportingNews, only 22 players are higher and none of them are named Amare.

8. w00kie

w00kie Member

he's not a critic, but just another yao hater....
    difference is this dude has access to MSN servers

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

well, naysayers can always argue that it's Yao's maketing value that makes him so attractive to GMs. :rolleyes:

10. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I think he improved his thought about Yao. At least he considers Yao as the ROY, although he says Amare is better. That's not bad, at least he isn't mentioning like Mike Dunleavy or Jay Williams. Amare is an actual threat. Still this guy is an idiot.

11. cmellon

cmellon Member

Did you guys heard Tom Tolbert's comment at ESPN's Suns vs Wizard game yesterday?

He was asked who should win ROY, Yao or Amare. He said definitely Amare. He threw in all sort of typical reasons like Amare came directly from high school and he has a huge inside presence impact for Suns, and so he achieved more than Yao who already played at international level (Sounds like CBA is equivalent to NBA). He also said he will not mind though if Yao is selected as ROY.

12. ewfd

ewfd Member

Those articles are laughable.

I hate writer's who use Sportscenter to determine their way of thinking.

13. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Yeah really.

If dunks determined NBA awards, then why not just make Amare MVP too. Dumbass.

I have a tough time believing anything this guy says, the ONE thing Yao has always had was a soft touch. NOt that I would take anything that he says seriously, but it pisses me off that he works for MSN and was one of those fueling the "Yao Ming will be a bust" fires with misinformation.

Stuart

14. Iceberger

Iceberger Member

He can say whatever he wants to say. That's his job. Too bad idiots like him have the access, and the tools to criticize other people on TV, and they are paid for it. If i truly believe anything he says, i must be an idiot too. People should whoop my a$$ anytime they want just because of it. Huh! They call them analysts?? How about that bold moron called Tom Tolbert? It's so fortunate that the majority of NBA fans don't buy BS like this. By the way, do they really think we are blind or we are as ignorant as they are that we can't even see who is good and who is not. It's disconcerting that these so called experts treat us fans this way.

If only all critics were sent to the MOON!!:D

15. mulletman

mulletman Member

he obviously doesnt know much about basketball the way he compared ralph sampson to yao ming.

ralph sampson was awesome, he was a freak -- a small forward stuck in a big man's body. if it wasnt for injuries, he might have been one of the greatest that played the game

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This guy works for Slate???

Will, if you ever see this guy, give him a swift kick in the rear.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is a classic example of a "journalist" who made the decision several years ago that Yao would not be any good and was annoyed even then at speculation he might be great if he made it to the NBA. Now that Yao is proving to be a quality center with a legitimate shot at being one of the great NBA centers to play the game, he is doing whatever he can to make a point that has long since been exhausted.

At some point, even if you cannot bring yourself to admit in print you were wrong, you have to be willing to drop it and move on. Constantly blathering on incoherently does nothing but draw attention to yourself making you look even more like a cluless, hard-headed bafoon.

I understand his point about the hype. It is like the constant chronicling of Michael Jordan, whether it was as a minor league ball player who couldn't hit, a returned champion or the will-he-or-won't-he either come out of retirement or go into retirement watch. It gets old to hear the constant harping and hyperbole.

From that standpoint, I understand the rationale, especially if your team is the one that gets drowned out by the cheering for Yao - remember that everyone said our championships came only because MJ was out of the league and that pissed us off too.

But, this guy is bordering on all-out stupidity. Hey, Will, can you waltz over to this guy's cubicle and pop him on the head with your Yao bobblehead or something? :D

18. munco

munco Member

There's not even an email listed to remind the guy of his accurate prediction!

19. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Address your mail to Slate directly to challenge them to reconsider their position on Yao after posting 3 biased and unfair articles.

20. Heretic

Heretic Member

Amare Stoudamire is straight out of high school and he'll be 21 years old this year.

Was he a dumbass or something? Most people are 18 when they graduate.