1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

vs Lakers breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davo, Nov 7, 2000.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Contrary to recent form indicators, tonight may be a very close game. Here's my thoughts.

Shaq vs Hakeem/Collier/Thomas
    Hakeem will put in only minor minutes defending Shaq. If he does try to guard him, he will pick up early fouls and be sitting for extended periods. Last year we had success rotating the PF over to help out, but with Mo Taylor as the starter, I don't see this happening. Kenny Thomas was more than servicable defending Shaq during the first three quarters of games last year, and I think he will get a large chunk of the responsibility again this game. I have also been "quietly" impressed with Collier's defense. He really moves his feet well for defensive positioning and may be a surprise tonight when asked to guard Shaq (and he will be asked!). Shaq will still go off for 28-30+ points, but if we keep him to that I would consider it successful defense.

Grant/Horry vs Taylor/Thomas
    Could be our biggest weakness. Shaq and Grant could account for a VERY LARGE proportion of the rebounds, and Grant will be handfull for both Taylor and Thomas. Maybe Carlos can step in and play some solid defense against Grant, and leave Taylor/Thomas to guard the other Laker PFs.

Rick Fox vs Air Bullard
    Not really sure how both teams will handle this. I expect Kobe will play minutes here when Rider is in the game, and either way, Shandon will guard him so that is a moot point. This position is the Lakers weakest, and Rudy should be able to get away with playing Bullard against Fox or Devean George.

Kobe/Rider vs Shandon/Mobley
    Kobe will play quite well, but I think he will be well contained by Anderson. A strength for the Lakers may turn out to be a strength for us here. Rider, however, will cause problems, and I'm not sure if Mobley can handle him.

Harper/Lue vs Francis/Norris
    Now this is where we have the potential to win the game. If I was Francis, I would be licking my lips about going up against these two guys. My prediction of a close game/win hinges on Francis having a breakout/blockbuster game. The signs are there, everything is in place - can he step up?

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Rider spells Fox as well as Kobe. In crunch time the Faker$ go with Shaq,Grant,Kobe,Rider and Harper (sometimes Fox if Harper isn't playing well)

Shandon will guard Kobe/Fox-He should do a good enough job for us to win

Mobley on Rider-They cancel each other out by not playing defense.

Francis on Harper/Kobe-Interesting matchup, Harper and Kobe play under control, Francis does not (yet)

We have no one to stop Shaq. Unless we play solid Team defense. As of now they haven't shown that ability.

MoTay on Grant/Horry-He matches up well with Grant while Horry will tear him up.

Just hoping that playing the World Champs will inspire the boys to play above their heads and pull this one out.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

do you think Collier can body-slam Shaq if he crouches down low and gets proper leverage.

boy...I'm so exited about this game.

Get'em Shandon. Frustrate the hell outta Kobe. We must go 3 guards for extended periods. So, Shandon...this is your game. This is defense. Doubling, Tripling, Rotating. Take charge!

4. Hydra

Hydra Member

Make that take charges, and then direct toward Collier and you have the secret to beating the Fakers.

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!

5. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Davo, Rudy must throw Shandon, Francis, and Mobley at the Lakers as much as possible tonite. All three should play 40 min plus.

Rudy must not get paranoid when his players get early fouls. He must allow his players to play and get into and a rhythm and into the flow even if at the cost of them fouling out.

I'll be watching tonite to see if this foul paranoia causes Rudy to disrupt any momentum or flow that may have otherwise develop.

...And if this foul proned paranoia continues throughout the season I'll have more to say about it in the upcoming days, and also why I think it cost us these last to squeakers vs. the Clips and Suns.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited November 07, 2000).]

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Davo, Rudy must throw Shandon, Francis, and Mobley at the Lakers as much as possible tonite. All three should play 40 min plus.

Rudy must not get paranoid when his players get early fouls. He must allow his players to play and get into and a rhythm and into the flow even if at the cost of them fouling out.

I'll be watching tonite to see if this foul paranoia causes Rudy to disrupt any momentum or flow that may have otherwise develop.

...And if this foul proned paranoia continues throughout the season I'll have more to say about it in the upcoming days, and also why I think it cost us these last to squeakers vs. the Clips and Suns.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited November 07, 2000).]

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Mobley will do the first lick lipping.

Kobe Bryant will, as usual, cover Francis throughout the game, so look for Mobley to to iso Harper/lue all night until the double teams come , but Mobes will have to make LA pay by swishing his first couple of shots-that is key- if the Rockets want to get La out of their original defensive game plan.

Mobes must catch FIRE early!!!

------------------

8. AllMightyHakeem

We stand no chance!! The cat ain't doin a thing tonight.

------------------

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You might want to edit that post allmighty

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

10. treeman

treeman Member

Collier and Kenny are gonna get some minutes tonight. Last year Cato played Shaq pretty well, but that's not an option now.

Hakeem simply no longer has the strength or (I hate to say this) the athleticism to outmaneuver him any more. Shaq will dominate in that contest. Ooooh, Jason's gonna earn his pay tonight. He'd better, cuz he's the only large body we have to throw at him (Shaq). S*it.

Anyone thinkin' small? I wonder if Rudy is, too. Kenny might work there. He is pretty fast at PF. Los should get some good minutes, too. Solid, no hacks necessary. Well, not till the 4th...

Does anyone know if Mo's finger is still buggin? And his ankle?

I hope Dream surprises me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by treeman (edited November 07, 2000).]

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

How about Mooch grows his fro 11 more inches and plays Shaq. [​IMG]

------------------
    MOO

Bush and Gore make me want to Ralph
    votenader.com

12. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

I just have a strong feeling that we will see a monster game from our 3 guards Shandon, Franchise and Cat. My fellow
    Rocket fans look for Air Bullard to light it up tonight, and Hakeem to have a double double.
    Tomorrow will be a good day for us looking at our 2-3 Standing. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

13. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

allmightyhakeem is a Mobley hater. He claimed in another post that Kobe could shutdown Francis and Mobley. Yawn...whatever.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder