1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

WOJ: Rockets won't let McHale return to coach the Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 17, 2013.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

let them have McFail!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can't even believe there's an NBA carousel now. The number of coaches changing teams for weird ass reasons and scenarios is unprecedented. It's like an arms race all of a sudden. On par with the college football at this point.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hired to be fired! I guess.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I called him that when we got the guy. Hated the hire, hated losing Adelman. All I can say now is look at his record with this ridiculously young team. It still blows me away. Was McHale just lucky? Maybe, maybe no, but he was the coach, and will be next season. Ultimately, it's wins and losses, and we've been winning when by rights we shouldn't have. I'm sorta getting used to that, and used to him.

#124 Deckard, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they're not allowed to contact mchale, they have to contact houston first, and then only after given permission can they contact mchale.

6. verysimplejason

Give McHale next season to prove himself. He deserved it just like most of the members of the Rockets team. Reaching the second round should be enough for next season. I'm a believer of the importance of team chemistry. Without chemistry, talent will just be wasted.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Not a fan of McHale, but he probably deserves to be around for next season.

If he really wanted to go ... let him though. SVG, George Karl, Lionel Hollins, Doc Rivers etc all available, and could potentially be interested.

8. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

So it is O.K. to make asinine comments like "Doy! Mcfail!!! HUR HUR!!"

But, to criticize certain new Rockets players who have NOT delivered thus far is off limits? :rolleyes:

9. verysimplejason

Rondo and Harden? :D Rondo as a catch-n-shoot player? Good luck!!!

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

This ridiculously young team made it to the playoffs with no offensive play calling and no legitimate defensive sets. I think it's more on the back of these kids that the Rockets made the playoffs and McHale is getting TOO MUCH credit.

If we could get Boston's first round pick and Fab Melo or Bradley for McHale _ do that sh**... Let McHale go where he wants and hire Brian Shaw or Avery Johnson, or just give the job to Sampson.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'd trade Doc Rivers for McHale, but it is unlikely he would want to coach a rival team in the same division as his son's.

If Hollins is still out there, I'd say he is a upgrade over McHale but one has to figure McHale is special to Morey because he doesn't/won't battle the front office on some of their moves as hard as a more established coach would have.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's up to McHale. if he WANTS to leave, there is no reason to hold him. we might be able to get some returns, like picks.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its professional sports folks. The coaches almost always get both too much credit, and too much blame for their successes or failures.

What does matter though is how the players respond to the coaches.

All I know is this team really responds well to whatever McHale does with them... whether that be creating an autonomous player environment by staying out of the way, or micromanagement.

Sorry, McHale haters, but McHale isn't going anywhere this Summer or next season. Whats the old saying.... "If it aint broke....."

The Rockets have a good thing going with the team they have. Im concerned that they could be back at square one if they make drastic changes either to the roster or coaching staff that blasts their continuity, trust, and relationships on and off the court.

Im all for adding a star player to this team, but Im not crazy about taking away anything major... coaches included. McHale is staying... for next season at the very least so just get used to it and stop drooling over the latest hot commodity coach who can't seem to find a job anyways.

1 person likes this.
  14. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Lin may have not delivered to your unrealistic, asinine expectations, but he was a solid PG last year.

Solid at 8 mil a year is fine, especially for a player who plays like an elite point guard AT LEAST half of his games, and serves as a solid tempo setter the rest.
    Plus, he's improving. His 3 point shot got better, and he was becoming more aggressive towards the end of the season.

1 person likes this.
  15. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I doubt Rivers cares about coaching against his son.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Why is Kevin McHale off limits to Celts in their coaching search? One reason, I'm told: Rockets see McHale as a key to Dwight Howard pitch</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/349764969346240512">June 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Understandable.

18. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Phil apparently has the itch to coach again. I'd think Dwight will be more apt to say yes to Phil than Kevin McHale. Just saying.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

What makes you say that?

20. jacoby

jacoby Member

You can't make as big of a statement as you just did and not back it up with reputable sources. Are you just pulling that out of your ass?

And I always love it when people say Phil will seal the deal on Dwight coming back to L.A. Phil is a great coach, but he isn't the final piece to the puzzle. The team still sucks. The team is incredibly old and they aren't capable of doing anything. Houston can go deep in the playoffs with Dwight and perhaps a third star.