1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets To Decline Options On Delfino, Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morlock O, Jun 17, 2013.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Damn, so we started the fire?
    The fire rises!

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Delfino's injury means he lost value as a trade asset. The only reason someone might trade for him on draft night is to dump salary by waiving him after, but Morey doesn't want to take any salary back. Delfino's value as a contract is worthless due to his injury. No one is going to pick him up off waivers for free even if you waive him. They'll wait for him to rehab and prove him is good to play again before they take a chance on him.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think alot of it too has to do with the attention the Rockets are getting in their quest for Dwight, and their bargaining position on keeping Delfino. Other GM's aren't dumb enough to think that they will actually do it, and aren't going all in on Dwight.

Also, the free agency class is much deeper than in prior years. In past years, snaging an insurance policy like Delfino at his salary would be a score. This year, you might actually be able to do better.... especially, as you noted, with his injury keeping him on the DL for the first few weeks of the season.

However, Brooks might very well still be someone that gets dealt on draft night with the right team needing a good backup PG.

Either way- I doubt Morey doesn't at least try to deal them on draft night. It didn't seem like anyone wanted a broken down Brad Miller 2 years ago, but low and behold...... KAHHNNN!!!! You just never know. No point of waiving them before June 30th if there is potential for a deal.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Anyone who didn't see this coming is either in a coma or has been living under a rock. We are going all in this year. Get stars first, find role players later.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Not like we couldn't bring back delfino and garcia for less. Brooks would probably cost around the same.

This doesn't mean anything bigger than it is. The rockets want to have cap the space to sign a max contract, including Dwight.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hate to lose Garcia, Delfino, and Brooks. That's a lot of three-point shooting right there. Hope we can get 'em back, or add Redick, or all of the above.

I really don't want Dwight. I fear he'd set this franchise back another freaking decade. I'd rather we keep our young core, get more quality youngsters over the next three seasons, and see how they grow. Parsons is going to get paid, and will be worth it. What's not to like about Lin/Bev, Harden, Parsons, Moti/Jones, and Asik? What will become of James Anderson?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think it's any indication. Garcia had an obscenely large option price, so we wouldn't pick it up regardless. Delfino's injury makes his contract not worth it. And Brooks didn't do anything to justify his contract last season, and is a luxury with Lin and Beverly under contract.

And then, I think even without Howard, Morey sees a lot more value in the cap space. If not Howard, we can still go after Smith or Millsap or Paul (long shot). Or, we can use the cap space to trade for guys under contract without sending much back. Or, act as a third party facilitating other teams' trades to pick up a couple of assets and then re-open cap space next offseason. I think no matter what, the flexibility is worth more than those role players. Besides which, we can potentially sign one or more of them back again after our other moves are done.

9. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Smart move. Time to take out the trash. Dmo, you're next.

1 person likes this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

honestly I am not worried about this i can see delfino signing a vet min contract half way through the season when hes completely healthy. this was just a move that was foreseeable and either dorell wright or kyle korver would be an upgrade over delfino IMO. and im not too worried about howard anymore if the clippers and lakers want to screw up their franchises even more, let them. ill take josh smith, korver and dalembert instead. 20 mill is a lot of money, we could use it any number of ways to upgrade multiple positions instead of getting dwight and hoping that it will with Asik.

11. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Poor Delfino. Hope we can sign McGrady next season.

12. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

This was expected. We don't need Brooks. Garcia and/or Delfino can both probably be signed back for much less if we want them.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

agreed, would be nice to have a world champion on the team who knows what it takes

1 person likes this.
  14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

He gonna sign with the Thunder as a primary backup to Durant, and he's gonna get revenge on the Rockets.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Delfino was on a decline, i honestly would really like to keep garcia, with the way he played in the playoffs i think he could be a big role player for our 2nd team.

16. coffeelover665

its expected but its sad. I've grown so attached to this group of guys

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

It just means the Rockets have a >0% chance at Howard.

It's possible that the Rockets can flip Brooks and/or Delfino for picks or other assets. But at $3mil and $2.5mil, Morey can certainly find similar players for similar price if he really needed to. So it' no loss that they're gone.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

And to think Brooks was a solid player for Rockets once upon time...

19. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Solid is an understatement.

But he still played well this season

He was just buried in the bench

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

:(:(:( "A SEVEN-SIX CENTER OUTTAAA CHINAAAAA"