1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Salary Cap.

2. rockets06

rockets06 Member

In my opinion I think Paul stays in LA. I would love to get Howard but on the off chance he signs elsewhere, I remember seeing that Josh Smith would be Plan B. At the "right price" I'd love to have him at PF.

So just a thought what do you think of a sign & trade to get Josh Smith for T. Rob, R. White, & a future 2nd rd. pick (for taking White)?

3. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I think Morey should do this trade.

Hou In: Green, Williams
    Hou Out: Asik, T. Rob, Delfino, Brooks & White

Bos In: Asik, T. Rob, Delfino, Brooks & white
    Bos out: Green, Williams

Trade # 2 Trade Lin and smith and pick up back up decent C and SF

once that trades are done then he should go sign Howard and Ellis. even tho i dont like Ellis Def. but it would be a great team

Ellis / Beverley
    Harden / Williams
    Parsons / FA or Rookie
    Green / Jones / Donuts
    Howard / ???? (from trade of Lin)

What do you guys think????

4. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

if Howard resigns in LA or gets S&T to the clips for griffin then, we get Pau and i for one am perfectly ok with that. IMO pau would be perfect next to Asik, we wouldnt have to lose good young players and we might be able to convince him to stick around on a more reasonable contract extension (i'm thinking 3 yrs 27-30 mil) if he dosent resign who gives a crap we would have over 19 mil to chase someone else next year.

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I posted this in another thread but since it is random I thought I would post it here. I really don't think the stars are aligned to find that long term 3rd star this offseason assuming we can get Dwight on board. My proposal is to be as competitive as possible in 2013-2014 while still maintaining some flexibility for trades during the season and/or cap space in the summer of 2014.

With the news of Paul Pierce potentially being cut for a cap hit of "only" $5 million I think he is the most valuable trade piece of the summer. I love the Asik & Lin signings of last year but they could prevent us from getting a 3rd star since they will be on the books for 2 more years.

I would offer Boston Asik + Lin + Robinson, picks, etc. for Paul Pierce + filler. You can either buy out Pierce's $15 mil for a cap hit of $5 mil and have some money leftover to buy another free agent. Or you play out the season with Harden, Parsons, Pierce, Howard, Bev, Smith, Jones, D-Mo, etc. and see where that team takes you. I think that would be an incredible versatile and competitive team. Pierce is obviously not what he used to be but he is still a valuable player with an EXTREMELY valuable contract.

I am not 100% sure of how his contract works but I am sure he can be traded mid-season if a team is looking to offload a star that is expected to walk. Or you can wait for his 15.3 mil salary to come off the books in 2014 given you valuable cap space.

If Garnett and Doc are out in Boston (who knows how at this point) then Pierce's days in Boston are numbered and a team like ours can give him one of his few remaining shots at the title.

Another potential target who is still a valuable player with a valuable expiring is Pau Gasol. I would be very interested to see if Morey views Lin and Asik's contracts as holding him back from finding a 3rd All Star type player and if it is worth it to trade them for fading stars on the last year of their contract.

I am not saying Lin or Asik's contracts are overinflated by any means. I think they both have a good amount of value and an owner only has to pay them $10 million in year one but $30 million in year two may be tough to swallow. The cap hit will still only be $8.3 million for both players though. this may be more valuable to the Lakers since they have the money but need to avoid the luxury tax by doing something with Gasol. Asik would be extremely easy to move for cap space + assets if needed and Lin would add even more value to a franchise like the Celtics or Lakers.

6. bball1217

bball1217 Member

I haven't read through the all the posts, so sorry if this idea has been mentioned already.

With all the KG+Doc to LAC rumors, I have been thinking of a way to get us involved and (I believe at least) benefits all three teams equally.

The trade assumes a couple things:
    1. Robinson traded for a future 1st round pick (probably a Bobcats protected pick).
    2. Howard decides he wants to play with Rockets (seems likely)
    3. KG, Pierce, and Doc willing to go separate ways/Boston ready to blow it up (from the rumors, it sounds like the plan)

HOU gets: KG
    HOU gives: Asik, Jones, Rockets 2015 1st, 1st acquired in Robinson trade

LAC gets: Asik, Pierce, Doc
    LAC gives: Bledsoe, Butler, Jordan, 2015 first

BOS gets: Bledsoe, Butler, Jordan, Jones, all 3 first round picks
    BOS gives: Pierce, KG, Doc

Although neither LAC or HOU get to team up Paul and Howard together, they get upgrades at positions of need, get at least one superstar and a experienced vet, and best of all, screw over the Lakers entirely!

Why Houston does it?
    KG will probably only play for one other coach..Kevin McHale. McHale has known KG since Minnesota drafted him and they are very close and have a lot of respect for each other. I think a chance to join Harden and Howard for 2 more shots at a title is enticing enough for KG to leave Boston, Pierce, and Doc. Houston gets a great PF to pair next to Howard that brings defense, a mid range shot to stretch the offense out, and tons of leadership and experience.
    Lineup: Lin-Harden-Parsons-KG-Howard.

Why Los Angeles does it?
    A move that will keep Paul in LAC and allow them to contend for the next few years. Pierce is still a great player and has some great years left in him. Asik is an upgrade over Jordan and comes at a better value (about $2 million/yr cheaper). They also get Doc, one of the best coaches in the game. The only holdback in this trade is if Sterling is willing to pay up, which is why the BOS-LAC deal has died before.
    Lineup: Paul-Billups-Pierce-Griffin-Asik (Crawford off bench)

Why Boston does it?
    Time to rebuild. Bledsoe, Jordan, Jones, and three first rounders are a great haul for 2 aging veterans who won't contend for a title if they stay in Boston. Butler's expiring contract is thrown in for cap reasons and to match salaries.
    Lineup: depends on if they trade Rondo..

Also, for our beloved Rockets, this trade sets us up for the 2015 off-season where Lin and KGs contracts will come off the books for about $19 million in cap space in a off season where both LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love will both be UFAs. Either of those guys can be signed and fit great on this team and will help us contend for 5-6 more years probably. Then we can finally extend Parsons (using Bird Rights after we sign one of Aldridge/Love) for the money he finally deserves (4yr/40 million?). Everyone will still be mid-late 20s with a solid 5 year window to contend.
    Lineup: Beverely-Harden-Parsons-Love/Aldridge-Howard

Unlikely to actually happen, but I thought it was a very interesting idea.

Let me know what you guys think.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

If the Spurs win the title, I think Pop, Duncan and Ginobili may retire and the Spurs may look to trade Tony Parker. I think we could pick him up pretty easily and I think he'd be a better fit with James Harden than Chris Paul would be, and he'd be cheaper. Exactly the type of move I could see Morey making.

Houston sends: Houston Receives:

Jeremy Lin Tony Parker
    Omer Asik Cory Joseph

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l56k5rc

The Spurs would do this because they'd be getting back two young players who've proven themselves as coachable starters with potential in Lin and Asik. Asik would work well alongside Splitter. They'd still have a pretty good team.

Houston does it because Parker is better than Jeremy Lin, and we're expected to land a replacement for Asik in Howard.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

IF Dwight signs, Asik will only be traded if:

a) Chris Paul wants to come to Houston
    b) We can get back a highly skilled big in return

IF A:

Houston IN: Meyers Leonard
    Portland IN: Asik, Royce White

Houston IN: Future 2nd round pick
    Sac IN: Lin, TJones

CP3 / Beverley
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Garcia
    DMo / ??
    Howard / Leonard

If B:

Houston In: Kevin Garnett, Jordan Crawford
    Boston In: Asik

Lin / Beverley
    Harden / Crawford
    Parsons / Garcia
    Garnett / TJones / DMo
    Howard / Garnett

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we land Dwight Howard I would attempt to make a move like this, and see if the other parties would be interested.

Portland Trailblazers / Houston Rockets / Indiana Pacers

Houston Rockets Receive: LaMarcus Aldridge and Danny Granger (1 yr left/ expiring)

Portland Trailblazers Receive: Omer Asik, Thomas Robinson, Donatas Motiejunas, IND 2013 1st rd pick and HOU (via PHX) 2013 2nd rd pick.

Indiana Pacers Receive: Jeremy Lin, Carlos Delfino (non-guaranteed) and HOU 2015 1st rd pick (top 5 protection).

Rockets Starting line-up
    Beverly / Brooks
    Harden / Andersen
    Parsons / Granger
    Aldridge / Jones
    Howard / Smith

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It might be more interesting to think about which players we could sign for cheap off the bench. We're back to the point where if we get Howard, and possibly even without him, we could sign players at the tail end of their career for the vet minimum who still pack a punch in short spurts. Stackhouse floated around before he became completely too old. A player like Jason Terry? Tony Allen? James Anderson isn't getting it done for me. We don't have enough roster spots to keep so many developmental prospects.

11. basketballholic

You guys are after the wrong player out of Boston.

The key to being able to force the Clippers into a sign and trade is to extract Rajon Rondo from Boston while leaving the rest of the guys there.

The Clippers have a serious problem right now. Sure, CP3 said everything is ok since the KG deal didn't go through....Sure. Let's not be stupid. CP3 has a huge problem with it. He's just not letting on that he does. BECAUSE he's going to investigate what's available to him in free agency.

So the whole idea isn't to help Boston and the Clippers get this deal done. Nor is the idea to trade for an over-the-hill Garnett or Pierce with one year left while depleting our trade assets. The whole idea is to work on this relationship that is hanging by a thread between Paul and the Clippers. IF...the Clippers go cheap and hire another coach....that is going to send a major signal to Paul. So....what we should be doing is helping Boston come up with a continuation plan that will allow them to be championship competitive in the East while keeping Pierce/Garnett/Doc altogether in Boston.

That means we should be going after R-o-n-d-o.

Asik/Lin/TRob (or whatever draft picks we get for him) and a couple future first rounders for Rondo and CLee. That's the deal that keeps Boston competitive this next season and allows them to transition into cap space for 2014 effectively with Pierce's contract done and KG retired. Boston's starting lineup: Lin/Bradley/Pierce/Asik/KG with Green/Terry/Sulinger/TRob(or draft pick) coming off the bench. That's a nasty, competitive group.

Oh, and us? Cap space to sign Dwight outright...and assets to trade away if necessary to sign Paul....or better yet...to flip to Clippers for Paul. What does this get us if we get the Clips in a sign and trade? Well it gets us Paul and Howard for essentially Asik/Lin/TRob, a couple future picks....and perhaps one of our other players (DMo, TJones, GSmith, Ohlbrecht) Oh...and we got CLee (Dwight's buddy) back in Houston coming off the bench.

Paul/Beverley
    Harden/Lee
    Parsons/(Garcia)
    Dwight/Ohlbrecht(2nd rounder...perhaps Withey...or perhaps Whiteside signed to a league minimum deal)
    TJones or DMo (whichever one is left...possibly both) plus another tall shooter (I'm thinking Ryan Kelly on a minimum deal would be great)

Once you have the Rondo trade done, it's a very simple process to liquidate from there. The Rondo/Lee package would bring back multiple first rounders. DMO/TJones/GSmith would bring back first and second rounders. So you could liquidate everyone if you had to.

The key to getting both Dwight/CP3 here is to move Asik/Lin/Trob/Picks for a superstar. And Rondo is one superstar that makes a ton of sense.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Dwight signs.

Jones + Asik + Motiejunas + Future 1st for Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon

Eric Gordon to Boston for KG

Lin practices his jumper all summer.

Harden/Parsons work on defense.

Lin/Beverley

Harden/depth signing or retainee/pick

Parsons/R Anderson

KG/R Anderson

Dwight/ KG/ Smith

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Surprised to not see any love for the Tony Parker idea.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Well it assumes that Duncan, Ginobili and Pop retire which I don't see happening. Not sure what will happen with Ginobili but Duncan still has 2 more years left on his deal so I would be surprised if he calls it quits. Would love to get Parker but I see the Spurs building around him until he can't walk anymore.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

How do you make that work financially?

16. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Maybe because the Spurs have no reason to do it... And you really think Lin is that good we could give up just him and Asik for Parker...? And both Asik and Lin will count $30 million against their cap in their last year.

If San Antonio trades Parker _ they could get a lot more...

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Boston isn't going to get past Miami, Chicago, or Indiana with that lineup. And I don't think they would trade Rondo so they could keep two old guys and a coach who doesn't want to be there.

18. basketballholic

Like they're gonna get past Miami, Chicago, or Indiana with Rondo, DeAndre, and a bunch of kids?

19. freshstart

freshstart Member

O.Asik + D.Motiejunas + 2014 1st-rd pick for D.Cousins

T.Robinson + 2015 1st-rd pick for R.Anderson

Cousins / Smith
    Anderson / Jones
    Parsons / Garcia
    Harden / Delfino
    Lin / Beverley

:)

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I never said they would, but they have a good building block with Rondo. And if Boston were to trade Rondo, they could get a lot more for him. Not every owner cares about marketing in China. If they did they would have been banging down Lin's door last summer.